Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why do you think?
PostPosted: January 29th, 2006, 8:04 pm 

Why do you think Peter Jackson decided to let Haldir be the one to die? I just think its rather curious, besides the fact that it would be good to have the character back in. I mean, I rather hated that part.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2006, 8:27 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

i think everyone was upset by that... the only conclusion i can come to is that pj needed something tragic to happen to draw in the regnirs (non-ringers lol :)) that have the attention span of dory and suffer from short-term memory loss (i love finding nemo :P) sad, yet so true... :closedeyes: *shakes head*

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2006, 6:58 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Location: USA, Middle Earth, LOST, Elizabethtown, anywhere I want

Hey, that part was rather puzzling to me too. After i saw it, i went back and checked my book to make sure i wasn't getting things mixed up. But it could've been to bring some emotion to such a gory, dark part of the movie.
@Meltithenniel-I like that...regnirs he he :lol:

Made 1000 posts on 7/22/06!!!!!!!!!

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2006, 10:53 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(sits in chair across from everyone and takes off sun glasses* let me... share a revelation with you (my true personality*agent smith* is finally coming out) lol

Anywho, this is my revelation. I think everyone in their right mind(no offence to those who arnt) can agree with the fact that PJ couldnt fit every detail of the book in the movie fight? Obvious no? So with that said, I think its fair to asume that we are going to have empty parts of the movie(places where nothing is happening) So to keeppeople from walking ou of the theater, he needs to add a few things in to keep us Dory's in the theater(yes Meltithenniel I am a dory too) Hence Haldir's death, Frodo and sam's separation, and many others.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2006, 8:34 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I think it was just to put some more emotion into the scene. One of the things PJ was so adamant about was that the battles needed to be more than "I'm going to kill you." I think he just wanted to make it very clear that the heroes were fighting for something they believed in, and there was a cost (though a cost well worth it) to fighting.

*shrug* JMO.

^both siggies made by me^

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2006, 3:28 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Didn't Haldir die in the Book,i have to reread the Book.It was a sad scene,yes,i hate her.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 3rd, 2006, 8:00 pm 

^No Haldir did not die in the book.

I agree with Nordithan on this. PJ probably made Haldir die to show that there was indeed a price to pay for freedom, and maybe also to show that even Elves can die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2006, 9:45 pm 
Vala
Vala

I too think that it was an emotional thing. You can show battles and people getting killed, but if you see someone you know, somone who is more than just an extra, and they die a really sad death, its very sad and emotional

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2006, 1:39 am 

I agree with the emotion on Haldir dying. It was pretty sad seeing that. I also feel sorry for all those elves who died , i mean , they were on their way to Aman and ... *sigh*.. yeh

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2006, 7:06 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think quite a lot of people were sad because of that.... :(

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2006, 9:15 am 

Isn't the question rather why did PJ put Haldir in the scene at Helms Deep. According to the book he had no business there at that time.

When that fact is stated I agree with y'all. The battle was huge and random people died all around on both sides, but it doesn't get really touching if there is no identification. Haldir was probably one of the supproting characters the audience already had met and who wasn't important later on in the plot. All to spark emotion and empathy. :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2006, 12:51 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

If PJ had made Haldir surivived what would he do with him after the battle. You can't just sned him back to Lothlorien as people would argue the point that he should have stayed and gone to Isengard with the Aragorn and his crew and contributed more to the War of the Ring. By killing him off PJ made it a lot easier for him.

The Legend of Fletcher-The Druid War-Coming Soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2006, 4:30 am 

I think PJ decided to let Haldir die to show the public that there is also a very bad side on war. The war for Helms Deep ends in a very spectaculair victory for the humans and elves, but they don't show all the people who died in that fight. By letting an important character die, you are more reminded by the deads and sacrifices that a war takes from the persons who fight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 9:49 am 
Istari
Istari

Yes, I agree with Lhunardaien. With showing that Haldir died, PJ tried to indicate the pain that Aragorn might have felt when he lost one of his friends. The fate of these two characters can symbolically be seen as the fate of all those who fight in Helm's Deep and who might loose friends, parents, children etc.

<center>
~thanks to: Johnny's Fan (animated banner)~
~icons made by me~

My site: ~Evenstar Dreams~<center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 9:55 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Fletcher Hawkmoth wrote:
If PJ had made Haldir surivived what would he do with him after the battle. You can't just sned him back to Lothlorien as people would argue the point that he should have stayed and gone to Isengard with the Aragorn and his crew and contributed more to the War of the Ring. By killing him off PJ made it a lot easier for him.

^That's what I thought too .. I agree :bye:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 1:27 pm 
Istari
Istari

Very good question.
I think that PJ killed Haldir for many reasons. By killing Haldir they were able to keep many people who other wise would have been bored out of their minds on the edge of their seats.
Haldir was somebody who the book fans had allready known and had liked. Therfore they had a pretty good idea that his death would envoke alot of emotion from his fans.
He also was (as has been stated) was a disposable character. They didn't realy have to have Haldir at Helms Deep and they didn't realy have to have him there after. So in short he was a quick and simple way to keep the fans interrested without causing a complete uproar of outrage at killing a main component of the story.

Destiny I'm a Christian boycrazy girl. Will Turner's wife ^&? Image Image Avatar by JF, banners by Taurquende, Nurrantiel Mashiara, Silme Meleth TarNymphadora, and JF taught me how to use banners. Thanks to all!