Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 3:10 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Welcome sinbearer. A real shock for me too because our characteristics look like each other. I would do anything to have the power as Boromir did. He is the most noble one because he died while protecting his friends. I would everytime think that why should he be dead. I know he made a mistake but Should he have to pay that way??. Anyway, thanks for posting.

Will be going to London on March of the 30th

Post subject: The cost of integrity....
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 8:26 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Good to hear from you SAW...I know, I hate that part of the book and movie so much. It hangs dark over the FotR. But I believe that nothing happens in life accidentally. What is life? Why are we here? Is it the length or the quality of a life that really matters. Boromir was born to die as he died. So are all who chose to live their lives valiantly and nobly...with integrity.

As I think about it, he made mistakes in life but I don't think his death was payment for those mistakes...all men make mistakes. His end was the end of many in this world who will dare to do what is right and fight for the good. If you read the post by Lady Rinoa in the Bag End forum under the topic of "A Defence of Character: Boromir" , she describes so well just what a great man Boromir was. Evil hates good and every man who stands and defends a noble cause will be attacked viciously.

Laying down our lives for all that is right and honorable is a privelege that gives us a place along side the greatest men in earth's history and aligns us with God. As horrible and sad as it is to watch, Boromir's death is a fitting end to a life that modeled this so courageously.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 9:57 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Sinbearer, SAW, and I speak words of truth. Everyone makes mistakes no matter how big or small they are. In Boromir's case He made a mistake but, realized his fault, and gave his life for those who needed him. He made a mistake but, I agree with you guys, he souldn't have paied that way. But as Sinbearer said, with the way he lived his life it was unavoidable, in the end.

This something that I put into A Defense of Character: Boromir -

<center>When hearing of the passing of Boromir, Eomer cries out in dismay:

"'Great harm is this death to Minas Tirith, and to us all. That was a worthy man! All spoke his praise. He came seldom to the Mark, for he was ever in the wars on the East-borders; but I have seen him. More like to the swift sons of Eorl than to the grave Men of Gondor he seemed to me, and likely to prove a great captain of his people when his time came.'" (TT, pg.425) </center>
I agree with Eomer that the passing of Boromir was a great harm to us all.
There was much to learn from him. But,

Sinbearer wrote:
As horrible and sad as it is to watch, Boromir's death is a fitting end to a life that modeled this so courageously.

A true warrior's death is modeled by his/her lifestyle. Boromir's death was no exception.

Post subject: Tears
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 11:36 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

You write powerfully! It fills my heart with admiration and tears...

Post subject: Re: Tears
PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 1:26 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Sinbearer wrote:
You write powerfully! It fills my heart with admiration and tears...

Not bad for a 15 year old, huh? :P

Post subject: Keep it up!
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 2:32 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Keep it up! I appreciate your posts in AU...

Post subject: My grief....
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 10:35 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

In my roving thoughts about all the wonderful characters in LotR my mind keeps coming back to Boromir. My thanks to Sirius Black for giving me a place to grieve him, for that is what I'm really doing.

I was reading in the Wikipedia encyclopedia about Boromir and it says he “had honor and nobility; he was a man who believed passionately in the greatness of his kingdom and would have defended its people to the very end. Boromir's great stamina and physical strength, together with a forceful and commanding personality, meant that he had quickly risen to command in Gondor’s army: he was made a Captain of the White Tower, and eventually became Captain-General, also bearing the title High Warden of the White Tower.”

It strikes me hard that such a great man, obviously valiant and victorious in many battles should die, yes, give up his life blood defending two hobbits. Why would he do it? On the surface it seems such a waste. In the end did Boromir really believe so much in the success of the Fellowship that he was willing to give his life for it?

I think, though, that Boromir’s death has resonding consequence that ripples throughout the rest of the story—consequence that is complex and cannot be perhaps totally extrapolated. But there cetainly is the real chance that the outcome of evil was changed by his death. I believe there are cosmic forces that play in our lives. Things happen for reasons that none of us can fully forsee. Often tradegy is the messenger of blessing.

One of the most moving and powerful scenes in the LotR movies comes when Aragorn arrives at the side of the dying Boromir. With a large figure in the background that looks very much like a priest, Boromir makes his dying confession to Aragorn and asks his forgiveness. Aragorn tells him, "You fought bravely. You kept your honor." Boromir laments that the world of men will fall and all will come to darkness. This prompts Aragorn to say, "I do not know what strength is in my blood. I give you my word that I will not let the White City fall or our people fail. " Boromir, who had earlier shown a disdain for Aragorn, now makes the most beautiful statement, "I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king." Aragorn gives Boromir his sword, and touching his own forehead and chin says, "Be a peace, son of Gondor."

That scene gets me every time. Boromir died defending hobbits but he may as well have died at the head of a courageous army defending the White City. On February 29, 3019, Faramir, who was on guard duty, waded down to a boat floating down the Anduin river. To his grief, it was the dead body of his brother, which was pierced with many wounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 12:51 am 

Well Seeing Boromir die was a sad scene for he finally got the concept that the ring must be destroyed and fought to save the Pippin in Merry.

Post subject: Re: My grief....
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 4:40 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Sinbearer wrote:
In my roving thoughts about all the wonderful characters in LotR my mind keeps coming back to Boromir. My thanks to Sirius Black for giving me a place to grieve him, for that is what I'm really doing.

I was reading in the Wikipedia encyclopedia about Boromir and it says he “had honor and nobility; he was a man who believed passionately in the greatness of his kingdom and would have defended its people to the very end. Boromir's great stamina and physical strength, together with a forceful and commanding personality, meant that he had quickly risen to command in Gondor’s army: he was made a Captain of the White Tower, and eventually became Captain-General, also bearing the title High Warden of the White Tower.”

It strikes me hard that such a great man, obviously valiant and victorious in many battles should die, yes, give up his life blood defending two hobbits. Why would he do it? On the surface it seems such a waste. In the end did Boromir really believe so much in the success of the Fellowship that he was willing to give his life for it?

I think, though, that Boromir’s death has resonding consequence that ripples throughout the rest of the story—consequence that is complex and cannot be perhaps totally extrapolated. But there cetainly is the real chance that the outcome of evil was changed by his death. I believe there are cosmic forces that play in our lives. Things happen for reasons that none of us can fully forsee. Often tradegy is the messenger of blessing.

One of the most moving and powerful scenes in the LotR movies comes when Aragorn arrives at the side of the dying Boromir. With a large figure in the background that looks very much like a priest, Boromir makes his dying confession to Aragorn and asks his forgiveness. Aragorn tells him, "You fought bravely. You kept your honor." Boromir laments that the world of men will fall and all will come to darkness. This prompts Aragorn to say, "I do not know what strength is in my blood. I give you my word that I will not let the White City fall or our people fail. " Boromir, who had earlier shown a disdain for Aragorn, now makes the most beautiful statement, "I would have followed you, my brother, my captain, my king." Aragorn gives Boromir his sword, and touching his own forehead and chin says, "Be a peace, son of Gondor."

That scene gets me every time. Boromir died defending hobbits but he may as well have died at the head of a courageous army defending the White City. On February 29, 3019, Faramir, who was on guard duty, waded down to a boat floating down the Anduin river. To his grief, it was the dead body of his brother, which was pierced with many wounds.

Wooww...Never thought of it this way...i always keep it simpel never thought so hard about something like this..:D Briliant..:P

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2006, 7:20 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Any other forum members who wanna grieve for Boromir? If you do, I am waiting for you

Post subject: Why Boromir?
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 12:30 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Galadriel said, “The quest stands upon the edge of a knife.” Any one of Fellowship, who had pledged their lives and strength, certainly could have lost their lives. I have often asked the question, “Why Boromir?”

On the surface it seems that the captains of fate are so random—picking one and leaving the other. But is life so fateful? Can it be so harsh for those who are striving to do the right thing? No. I cannot believe that it lays any of us in our graves until our grand purpose here is finished. If that is true, how can the part of the fallen protagonist be any less important than the one who reaches the end of the story unscathed?

I don’t know what course Boromir would have pursued or what deeds he would have accomplished if he had lived. But I do know his heart—the battles, both of flesh and soul, that he had won when he died. I know that many of those that survived struggled in the same way but of the many touching and tearful scenes in LotR, his death is special. My heart is grieved when I see a beloved hero fall, never to reach the destiny that my longing aspirations wished for them. It wrangles my heart in a different way than those who didn’t give their all.

I have often wondered that perhaps Boromir’s decision and subsequent death teaches one of the most important lessons to be learned in these dynamic books—a lesson that gives me some of the greatest hope because I struggle like he did. Not that it wasn’t taught by other characters too—by tortured hobbits, triumphant men and powerful wizards—but I think it haunts me most and sticks closer to my soul as I feel it in the death throws of the mighty captain of Gondor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 17th, 2007, 2:25 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

For me, Boromir's death was VERY sad and I also cried my eyes out! ANd seeing both Faramir and Pippin remember him later on, it just breaks my heart :(

Boromir was a true warrior in that he fought for all he loved and wanted to protect his people. He also had a lot of pressure put on him too from Denethor to be a 'savior' for Gondor, I guess would be the thing to say here. And he thought he had to do what he could for Gondor and also for his father.
He also had a really great heart too! He and Faramir were very close and he also loved Gondor and its people. Boromir did go through a lot of struggles and at that one point he thought he had to try to get the ring and bring it back for Gondor to save it. But in the end, he died for what he truly believed in and to me that makes him a hero!

I also like the idea of a statue in Minas Tirith to commemorate Boromir. That would have been a perfect tribute to him!

"Be at peace, Son Of Gondor!"

(Banner by Aerandir/Sirithadar)

"For Gondor!!" - Boromir

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2007, 2:09 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Ohh nice and short :P

I can see that you are affected some much like me at least. Yeah, he was a great loss to the fellowship but he has gone with the wind to Gondor where he truly belongs.

Any other best wishes on Boromir's death?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2007, 2:11 pm 
Istari
Istari

:'( Okay I'm done grieving now. Until next time I watch FotR...

<3
top banner by Coccinelle
I'll be back to visit, I promise!
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 6:23 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

I think that when it shows Faramir finding his body. I think that Faramir would have let him float along the anduin. A bit like what Frost Lord would have done, but less burning :-D

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 29th, 2007, 2:06 pm 
Maia
Maia

I was so sad at Boromir's death. Every single time I watch or read it... I've cried. Or at least gotten teary eyed.
The ring does nasty things to people, and it's like sin - we want to stay away from it, but sometimes... we just can't.
I think Boromir is one of the coolest characters, though, I mean, look at the way he died. Look at his bravery and his willingness to protect hobbits and everything... it's just incredible.
I never really thought about it until now, but Boromir was fulfulling the role I've always thought a guy should do - that's protect. It's why I've always longed for an older brother, and look at Boromir - protecting even to the death.
I think he's a great role model for any young man.

But more on topic, I do greive for his death. The world needs more people like him.

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW