It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 10th, 2011, 6:20 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Haldir wrote:
Most likely :P ... they would have been caught on their way to Mount Doom :yes:

Well I'd have thought the air defence of the Nazgul coupled with being seen by the eye . They were distracted/busy when Aragorn led them to the black gate. Otherwise I'd have thought they wouldn't risk the ring falling into their hands despite any number of Eagles they sent.

Post subject: Re: Why didn't they send Gwaihir?
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 8:28 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Why didn't they send Gwaihir? It's simple. There wouldn't be any story if they did. :teehee:

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 8:13 am 
Balrog
Balrog

It's been too long since I read the Hobbit, so I might be wrong, but I seem to remember that the Eagles weren't too keen on helping Gandalf and Bilbo and the Dwarves back then. I think probably the Eagles wouldn't really want to do it, they're a bit like the ents, you know.

And of course, like Eru says, there wouldn't be a story if they'd come ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 21st, 2011, 7:50 pm 
Administrator
Administrator

I seem to remember the Eagles (take it eeeeaaaasy, take it eeeeaaasy...okay, sorry, I'll stop now) seeing most of Middle-earth the way Elves saw Men: nah, we have our own world, we don't really want to get involved in your affairs and risk stuff. But it's been a while since I've read The Hobbit :-P

I do think the Nazgul would have been the biggest deterrents to a Ring-carried-by-Eagles mission - they're kind of Sauron's personal air force. Not only is the point of the story that even the smallest person can change the course of the future, but that sometimes it's necessary for the smallest person to be the change while the eyes of the wise and mighty are elsewhere.

It's always my friends who aren't too keen on Tolkien who insist that the Eagles should have dropped the Ring off at Mount Doom and spared them nine hours, anyway :-P

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 14th, 2011, 12:05 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Yeah I've heard the "Why don't they use the Eagles" argument a lot. Here's what I think.

I'm not quite sure how exactly you're going to hide a flock of eagles from flying over the Black Gates or the Mountains of Morder. I mean, two hobbits and Gollum was difficult enough and they had to go through Shelob. And don't forget, the Ringwraiths can sense the Ring. And while when you're on the ground, going through forests, marshes, caves, and generally crappy landscape, it's easy to hide from them. In the air, you don't have that luxury. Also, the Ring of Power corrupts everyone and anyone. It could very well corrupt the Eagles as well, given that they're sentient and conscious beings like Elves and Men. Fourthly, has anyone seen the weather conditions of Mordor? Yeah, they're not exactly ideal flying conditions. Also, the Eagles are servants of Manwe and serve only him. I think the reason why they helped Gandalf is because of their friendship. Lastly, remember when Aragorn had to march to the Black Gates to empty Mordor of its soldiers? Remember how that entire plain was covered with Orcs, Trolls, Easterlings, whatever? Try flying past that.

Or maybe Sam would get airsick.

Profile       WWW