Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Discussion: Member Awards Round 9
PostPosted: November 28th, 2008, 12:49 am 

NOTE: If you have a comment about the errors in the recent awards, please post here.

<center>Member Awards Round 09: Brainstorm</center>

As the fabulous members have gone through the process of starting up the member awards, working it along, and see its final end, we came upon some minor difficulties that may need to be addressed in future rounds. Here, is where we can discuss as moderators and as members the most efficient way to organize the member awards and how setting down the basic ideas will help smooth out the wrinkles.

1) What awards will be held when?
2) How many people can be nominated?
3) Can members be nominated more than one category?
4) What about members who have already won in that category or have won 4 awards already?
5) How will the voting be done?
6) What about ties-breaks?

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 2:05 am 
Kallisti
Kallisti

1) Good Question. I think that before we try to answe this question, a list of all awards that could be given out should be made. From there we can start to divide them into sections, and then we could decide how often to do the awards.

2) No limit. Generally there are under 10 or 11 people, so it's usually ok. It's not fair to limit people.

3) I believe so, someone who is the most amiable could also be the most obsessed with something else.

4) I think that once members have won four awards, they should not be allowed to be nominated. It seems a bit unfair, but it is nice to see some fresh faces in the competitions.

5) The way it has been in the past?

6) Toughie. I think that if a member has 57 votes, and the next one up has 60, there should be a tie breaker. If the member has 56 and the nest one up has 61, no go. The number of vote difference should be 3 votes.

They went pretty smoothly this time around, so well done to everyone that organized them etc. It was good to see the awards up and running after such a long hiatus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 12:35 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

1) I agree with Darky. I know we sorted it all out once, a year or two ago, but it'd be good to get a fresh list going. Especially now that the Awards are being run more by members than moderators, I think some reorganization might be good.

2) No limit

3) Yes. Like Darky said, someone could be good in more than one category.

4) I personally think that there shouldn't be a limit on that. I mean, you do always have to problem of people voting for the name that they're used to seeing, but what if someone really is still the best? I don't feel especially strongly about this one, though.

5) If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :no:

6) I think that tie-breaks should only happen if two (or more) people have exactly equal votes. If you say that someone who is losing 57-60 can have a tiebreaker, then what about the person in the next category who's losing 56-60? Why 3 and not 4? Or 5? No matter where you cut it off, you're going to have someone who missed it by that much.

Making the margin 3 (or 2 or 4 or whatever) votes also means that a lot more people would be in the tiebreaks. Most categories tend to have several people at the top who are only separated by a handful of votes, so several of those people would likely end up in the tiebreaker. Which makes it not so much a tiebreaker, but rather just a second round in voting. If we want to have multiple rounds in voting, where we narrow it down to just a few before doing the final vote, I suppose that's fine. It just seems like a whole lot of extra time and effort.

This year's awards did go pretty smoothly, though, I thought. I mean, a few rough spots were to be expected, given how long it had been since we'd run the Awards, but I thought everyone in charge did quite well. :yes:

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 1:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hey, guys. :P Uhm, I don't really have any innovative suggestions to make, but...

Dark, Queen of Angmar wrote:
1) Good Question. I think that before we try to answe this question, a list of all awards that could be given out should be made. From there we can start to divide them into sections, and then we could decide how often to do the awards.

Here's a list RA complied prior to this round:

Quote:
Here is a list of the awards that have been used in the past few rounds:

ROUND 7
Lament for Gandalf Award (Most into LotR Music)
Istari Award (Wisest)
Minstrel Award (Best RPGer)
White Wizard Award (Tolkein Knowledge)
Misty Mountains Award (Best middler)
Eldest Award (Best Oldie (2.5+ years))
Numenorian Award (Best 12+ months member)
Lothlorien Award (Best Graphics)
Haradhrim Award (most into something other than LotR)

ROUND 6
Samwise Gamgee Award (Most Helpful)
Nazgul Award (Most Fanatic Fangirl)
Defender of the Professor Award (Tolkein Purist)
For The Shire Award (Most posts in LotR sections/LotR-focused posts)
Tom Bombadil Award (Most random)
The Mirror of Galadriel Award (Most obsessed with the LotR Movies)
The Green Dragon Award (Most Welcoming)
Merry and Pippin Award (Most Amusing)
Ent Award (Longest Posts)
Fool of a Took Award (Most typos)

ROUND 5
(same as round 7 except for...)
Ioreth Award (Best chatter)
Ranger Award (devotion to Middle-Earth region)
Rivendell Award (best signature and avatar combo)
Maiar Award (devotion to middle-earth race)
Sting Award (best debater)

Hope that helps somewhat! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 3:16 pm 

First off, I'd like to give a big thank you to everyone who nominated/voted for me. I am humbled to be standing next to such brilliant people. :) Lots and lots of hugs go to Aliana for making my awards [albeit one is misspelled]. :P I wouldn't change them for the world. I'd also like to doubly thank her for making awards for all those who were nominated. I didn't expect that, and I am sure we are all very grateful. :hug:

1) Personally I think we're making it harder for ourselves by separating the awards in the first place. No one seems to remember for round to round which awards have been given last and when they were given. As it is, I think we should either give out all the awards once during the year [or perhaps twice] or split them in half and have them every six months alternating between the two sets.

2) I don't think there should be a limit. We've had a consistent number in the past, and I think we'll continue to have that in the future.

3) I agree with Darky on this one. Some people just fit more than one of the specifications for each award, and I think that's okay.

4) Well, haven't we been putting them in a sort of "honourary" category? They can't be nominated anymore, but their names are always mentioned at the start of each member awards as being in a sort of "hall of fame" type thing.

5) Polls are usually good, as it makes things anonymous that way. Sure you could have people voting for themselves but I'd like to think our forum members are generally good and would not do such things.

6) I think we should only have them if two/three people end up with the same amount of votes. That's what a tie-breaker is anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 5:06 pm 
Elf
Elf

1 Question. Waht happened to the Newbie Award? Or was that aken out b/c of spambots?

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 5:20 pm 

Was it transformed into the 12+ months award or something? I don't know a lot of these sorts of things. Ivy usually does the awards.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 5:28 pm 
Elf
Elf

Ah. OK, then. Hannon le.

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2008, 8:06 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

1) - As I recall in the past, the awards were split into two groups, to be held every 6 months (?) which I think is a good time limit, as they can take weeks from getting people to nominate, then getting the votes, then having re-votes etc etc. So you wouldn't want it every couple of months as it would be too much work.

2) - No limit

3) - Yes, I think so. Even if someone was nominated in a million categories, that doesn't mean they're going to win them all.

4) - I think winning in rows, then maybe there should be a limit. Like if you win for two years in a row, the next year you don't get put in to give someone else a chance. I have never agreed with the "4 award limit" rule. Some members could clock up 4 in one year, and yet others who have been here 4 years, it may take them 4 years to be retired if they only win one per year. As long as there is no "he/she has won that same award every year", I don't see why someone should be prevented from at least being nominated.

5) - Same as always

6) - If a member is on 50 and another member is on 49 and the next member is on 10, then there should be a tie-break between the two top members. If there are members at 50, 49, 48, 47, 31 then it should still only be the top two.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2008, 4:49 pm 

Kit:: Thanks for starting the thread on future Member Awards. :-)

I don't have strong opinions on any of the points, but as I said in the other MA thread. I hope this thread can help us to make a sort of a manual on how to run the Member Awards so whomever wants to do it when it becomes that time of year, can do it. We had a lot of discussion back and forth on how to do the voting.
Personally, I would like to have a tie-break voting if two people are way ahead of the rest in the poll, but since it is so difficult to manage, I'd go for only true tie-breaks getting a re-poll.

Also, the Hall of Fame is an issue. When and how should it be done? I like the idea of having a limit to how many awards one person can win (in either each categoy or in total), it's nicer to be able to acknowledge a variety of people. But how should it be done?

I would like people to take a look at the list of categories from TT's post. Do we like these categories in the future or can we leave some out, add new ones or re-define others?

Lament for Gandalf Award (Most into LotR Music) - Has the LotR music section died, could we nominate a handful of people in this category?

Istari Award (Wisest)

Minstrel Award (Best RPGer) - Meldawen has taken it on her to hold extended RPG awards once a year, should we keep this awards or leave it to the RPG section?

White Wizard Award (Tolkien Knowledge)

Misty Mountains Award (Best middler) - How many months make a 'middler' and who keeps track of who to nominate?

Eldest Award (Best Oldie (2.5+ years) - Should we change this since the oldies have been here for a lot longer now?

Numenorian Award (Best 12+ months member) - What's this? Another oldie category? :P

Samwise Gamgee Award (Most Helpful)

Nazgul Award (Most Fanatic Fangirl)

Defender of the Professor Award (Tolkien Purist) - Same as The White Wizard award? Not really, but how are you a Tolkien purist?

For The Shire Award (Most posts in LotR sections/LotR-focused posts) - Same question as above, do we have too many LotR categories?

Tom Bombadil Award (Most random)

The Green Dragon Award (Most Welcoming)

Merry and Pippin Award (Most Amusing)

Fool of a Took Award (Most typos) - Do we really want to keep this? I'm afraid so people would be sad to be nominated here, especially if they really did an effort with spelling. Could we reverse it and make it a Defender of the Language award, this would be in Tolkien's spirit. :-)

Ioreth Award (Best chatter) - Is this for a chatroom-chatter or more like a small-talker? I like having an award for someone who keeps a small-talk going!

Ranger Award (devotion to Middle-Earth region)

Rivendell Award (best signature and avatar combo) - Isn't it a bit odd? Perhaps we could turn it into another graphics award, since we have so many graphics-people?!

Maiar Award (devotion to Middle-earth race)

Sting Award (best debater) Love this! Just wanted to say! :jedi:

We have a lot of LotR awards; most LotR focused posts, Tolkien purist, LotR knowledge etc. I don't like to get rid of them since it is a LotR fourm after all, but perhaps we should make clearer definitions of the award?

I think we should have a Best Newbie award - to show we love all our members!

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2008, 12:06 am 
Kallisti
Kallisti

The only problem with middler/oldie/newbie awards is that it makes those who are nominated feel bad when they don't win. I know that I would feel like such a terrible member if I was nominated for one of those and didn't win. It would make me seriousely doubt whether or not I was a good member. I understand that it's kind of that way with all of them, but I think with those awrads it's worse.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2008, 4:22 pm 

Really Darky? I would think it would be the opposite, happy that someone noticed you to nominate you. Thanks for bringing those up Ea. Here are my thoughts.

Lament for Gandalf Award (Most into LotR Music) - Has the LotR music section died, could we nominate a handful of people in this category?
Seeing as there are no other music awards, mayhap this one could be turned into something for music in general?

Minstrel Award (Best RPGer) - Meldawen has taken it on her to hold extended RPG awards once a year, should we keep this awards or leave it to the RPG section?
I think as long as we have the RPG awards, we really wouldn't need "best RPGer." Especially since I get the feeling the person chosen would probably be nominated in the others as well.

Misty Mountains Award (Best middler) - How many months make a 'middler' and who keeps track of who to nominate?
I think this is like a subset of Numenorian award. (12+months) Perhaps we could define middler as someone who's been around for less than 3 years and more than 1?

Eldest Award (Best Oldie (2.5+ years) - Should we change this since the oldies have been here for a lot longer now?

I think so. Well, I don't know. It's odd to think of myself as an Oldie, though I guess I technically would be. But if I can't think of myself as one, would others who joined at around the same time think the same? Or would they be like me, and be nominating the people who were around before me? I guess this all comes up to various people's points of view.

Numenorian Award (Best 12+ months member) - What's this? Another oldie category? Tongue

If we change Misty Mountains we could get rid of this.

Defender of the Professor Award (Tolkien Purist) - Same as The White Wizard award? Not really, but how are you a Tolkien purist?

Good point. I'm not sure we need this one. Or kind of merge them into one. "Person who knows about Tolkien and holds to his standards." :P

For The Shire Award (Most posts in LotR sections/LotR-focused posts) - Same question as above, do we have too many LotR categories?

We have a "most into LotR movies," but no "LotR books." And I would expect a person who posts the most in LotR sections to probably like the books. Maybe it could be switched?

Fool of a Took Award (Most typos) - Do we really want to keep this? I'm afraid so people would be sad to be nominated here, especially if they really did an effort with spelling. Could we reverse it and make it a Defender of the Language award, this would be in Tolkien's spirit.

I don't know why we have this award in the first place. To me, pointing out typos is like saying, "You can't spell. Fail." Okay, maybe not that harsh. But it doesn't seem to fit with the happy, friendly theme.

Ioreth Award (Best chatter) - Is this for a chatroom-chatter or more like a small-talker? I like having an award for someone who keeps a small-talk going!

Well, not everyone on the chatroom comes in here, and not everyone on here goes in the chatroom. I think (if it isn't) that it should be for someone who chats around the forum.

Rivendell Award (best signature and avatar combo) - Isn't it a bit odd? Perhaps we could turn it into another graphics award, since we have so many graphics-people?!

I don't see the point of this one. People change so often, go through so many phases and fandoms. One day your set may go great together, the next day you want to celebrate two different things. *shrugs* May be just me, I don't know, but I'd say get rid of it.

Sting Award (best debater) Love this! Just wanted to say!

Ahaha. I don't think we need this one anymore.

As for the other questions:
1) I like the idea of half and half, twice a year.

2) We don't have a problem with a huge amount of nominations, so no limit.

3) Yeah.

4) I like JF's idea of a limit to times won in a row. After 2 or 3 times (or however many we choose), you sit out a round. You'd be mentioned as an honorary winner, and the next time you could be nominated again. It's just that to me, people see a familiar name and almost feel as if they should vote for that person. I'm not saying the person doesn't deserve it. Not at all. :no: But I've noticed at times in the contest section you get different results when you do by name or anonymous, simply because people don't have a preconceived notion attached.

5) I think the voting is fine.

6) A tie is when more than one person receives the same score. A tie break would break that. A tie break is not when there is a difference of votes. Why should 2 be the cutoff? Or 3? 4? These are fun things, not competitions to be narrowed down round by round to a final winner (as I see it). The one with the most votes IS the one with the most votes. Period.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 18th, 2008, 8:57 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I realize I'm a little late to the discussion, but on the topic of the Minstrel Award - I agree with Ea. While we don't hold awards for specific users (the format is to recognize characters instead) those who are good at it do get an award, same as the Member Awards. Also, I feel as though voting for the Minstrel Award comes down to the crowd who RP, and the crowd who don't, and for the latter it either means nothing or becomes a popularity contest.

Also, we do already have the Hall of Fire (Best Writer) award, and unless this is meant to be restricted specifically to those who post in the writing section, Best Writer and Best RPGer are very similar things. If we held them at the same time, the same person could very possibly win both.

As long as nobody minds that the RPG Awards take place only once a year, I'm in favor of honorably retiring the Minstrel Award and having those and Hall of Fire.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2008, 1:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Meldawen wrote:
Also, we do already have the Hall of Fire (Best Writer) award, and unless this is meant to be restricted specifically to those who post in the writing section, Best Writer and Best RPGer are very similar things. If we held them at the same time, the same person could very possibly win both.

As long as nobody minds that the RPG Awards take place only once a year, I'm in favor of honorably retiring the Minstrel Award and having those and Hall of Fire.

When I originally set out to get writers the recognition I felt we deserved, I intended it was to be for those who submitted work to the Poetry/Fanfic section. I mean, there is a larger community of RPers in thsi forum, and my personal opinion is that if it were to apply to RPGers, then that would possibly deprive dedicated poets/fanfic dudes of recognition. The RPers have a seperate series of awards,ran by you Melda, so why not have those for RPGers and the Hall of Fire for FF and other writing?

But, as usual, Ill accept th emajority opinion.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 9th, 2009, 10:43 am 

Hmm... I had a grand plan to try and make something organised of all the comments and suggestions... I'm still on it, hopefully I'll get to it some time in the next couple of days. :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 7:18 am 

I tried to group the awards into broader categories: Membership-based awards, LotR-oriented awards, Personality-focused awards and awards connected to the sub-boards. I think we need to decide on what awards we want in the Member Awards and then we can talk about whether to split them up or keep them together. :-)

We still need to discuss Voting and Hall of Fame too.

::Membership::
- Awards given to people based on how long time they have been members of A-U.

Misty Mountains Award (Best middler)
- How many months make a 'middler' and who keeps track of who may be nominated?

Eldest Award (Best Oldie (2.5+ years)
- I suggest we change this to 3 years+ – and then change it accordingly when needed.

Numenorian Award (Best 12+ months member)
- Should be change this to a Best Newbie award, because we don’t have one of those. Member for no more than one year?

::Tolkien/LotR::
- Awards given for LotR knowledge or fandom.

White Wizard Award (Best Tolkien Knowledge)
- Best overall knowledge of Tolkien/Middle-earth/LotR stuff?

Defender of the Professor Award (Tolkien Purist)
- We need a narrower definition. What is a Tolkien Purist, and do we need the award when we have The White Wizard? I won it once and I had no idea why!!

For The Shire Award (Most posts in LotR sections/LotR-focused posts)

Ranger Award (devotion to a Middle-Earth region)

Maia Award (devotion to a Middle-earth race)

Personality
- Awards given to members because of their contribution to A-U and the ambiance of the forum.

Istari Award (Wisest Member)

Samwise Gamgee Award (Most Helpful Member)

The Green Dragon Award (Most Welcoming Member)

Merry & Pippin Award (Most Amusing Member)

Tom Bombadil Award (Most Random Member)

Fool of a Took Award (Most typos)
- Do we really want to keep this? I'm afraid people would be sad to be nominated here, especially if they really do an effort with spelling. I suggest we make it a Defender of the Language Award, this would be in Tolkien's spirit!

Ioreth Award (Best chatter)
- This is a small-talk Award?

Sting Award (best debater)

::A-U Sub-boards::
- Awards focusing on the various sub-boards.

Lament for Gandalf Award (Most into LotR Music)
- Perhaps we should change it to a general Music Award?

- We keep this as it is, or turn it into a general Movie Award?

Minstrel Award (Best RPG’er)
- Meldawen hosts an extended annual RPG Award show. I say we drop this, unless any RPG’ers object.

Rivendell Award (best signature and avatar combo)

- I suggest we turn it into another Graphics/Art Award. Any idea from the artsy-people?

Nazgûl Award (Most Fanatic Fangirl)

- Isn’t it the same as the Nazgûl Award?