Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 9:06 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"You weren't there," said Phaerin. "Before...this. He told me to get out of Y'rydha or he'd make sure I rotted in a dungeon. So nice and fatherly, hm?" He shifted and moved the arm on his uninjured side up - by careful degrees - to rest behind his head. The ceiling already bored him. "I don't care if he thinks I'm an idiot."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2009, 11:33 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

Kjan carefully leaned back again until he was staring at the ceiling too. "Yeah, but isn't he also one of the more prominent lords on the council? I'm no politician, but it seems to me that you'd want that sort of person on your side in negotiations, father or not. Which is generally easier if he thinks you're remotely competent."

Speaking of competence, Kjan found himself still mulling over Lord Grey's question. Why had they selected Jate, apart from the heir thing? Well, and apart from the fact that he now had a pet rock that could blow things up. That was always a positive trait in a ruler, especially when the kingdom faced annihilation at the hands of an ambitious elven lord. Had they chosen rashly, though?

"So, purely for argument's sake," he continued offhandedly, "let's say he can't do it. What then?"

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 12:19 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"It'll be a miracle if Raen hasn't killed us all by then," said Phaerin. His words smacked into the silence like a brick wall and prolonged it so that the continuing flute melody in the garden climbed up once more to insinuate itself through the window.

Phaerin gave a long sigh. "We can't do anything," he said, twisting to look at Kjan. "It's not up to us. We gave them Jate. That was our shot at it. If he can't do it... well, we did our best. It's not as though Kytana is groveling in thanks."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 6:10 pm 

Jate looked at Silvryn, feeling the need to rub his head as well. For once, he took in her downcast face and weary eyes. The past month had been hard on her as well. With an uncomfortable shrug of his shoulders, Jate tried to reassure her.

"Yes, well..I understand. It's hard on all of us." He paused. "And thank you. I'd appreciate anything you have to give. I suppose right now there's just so much that specific questions are out of the question."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 6:48 pm 

"To be fair, the majority of Kytana doesn't know yet," Kjan replied. "All that most people know is that the Phantom was dead, and then he wasn't, and then the Regent was dead, and then the Phantom got shot. So you really can't blame them for being unsure how to react right now. The only people who know the full story are a handful of nobles, and they're inclined to hate us anyway. Maybe once everyone knows, you'll be hailed as a national hero and women will name their children after you and a special day will be set aside in your honor. Until Raen kills everyone, that is."

--------------------

"Right." Silvryn abruptly stood, smoothing out the front of her dress. "I am going to see if Phaerin has woken up yet. Would you care to join me?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2009, 7:08 pm 

"Of course!" Jate pushed the book aside and got up off the chair. He wasn't so in love with the books to regret leaving them behind for a time. Taking a moment to make sure they were stacked neatly, Jate followed Silvryn out of the library and down the corridors he'd passed through hours before.

He felt somewhat nervous as they neared the room. Despite all his self-assurances, he still cared mightily about what Phaerin thought of him. In a way, the man was the older brother he should have had. And if the Phantom thought he could do it, he could.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2009, 11:44 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"Bothersome," muttered Phaerin. He glowered for a moment. "Everything was so much simpler when there were no bloody elves to deal with. Phantom and rebels over here," he stabbed a finger at the bedspread, "Regent and lackeys over here. Cue conflict. Life was good without homicidal elf lords."

He heaved a sigh. "Ah, we'll see. Well, you'll see. I'll be receiving delightful visits from my father and contemplating the deeper meaning of 'bored to death.'"

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2009, 2:56 pm 

Kjan's gaze returned to the ceiling, this time in exasperation. "You'll be on your feet again within a week, the doctor said. Given that you were just shot and fell some fifteen feet onto solid stone, I'd say that's pretty fortunate, wouldn't you? You could have died, Phae. Be glad you're here to complain at all."

He heard footsteps echoing faintly down the stone corridor and got up to investigate. Upon sticking his head out, he spotted Silvryn approaching with Jate close behind.

"Is he awake yet?"

"Oh yes, quite," Kjan said dryly, glancing back over his shoulder at Phaerin. "And complaining enough to make up for any lost opportunities."

"Naturally." Silvryn stepped inside the door to give Phaerin a reproving look. "I thought I told you to be a good patient."

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 12:20 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"He's not a doctor," retorted Phaerin, "and I haven't left the bed."

He felt his eyes gravitate to Silvryn when she entered, candlelight glimmering on her ebony hair. She looked tired. The wry words had already left his mouth, but he regretted them. He glanced down at the bandages encircling his bare chest. "I mean it only by way of reassurance," he added, quirking an eyebrow wryly at her. "Wouldn't you worry, if I were docile?"

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 13th, 2009, 12:32 am 

"Considering that you are only quiet when you are planning something, I would scarcely be able to think of anything else," Silvryn deadpanned. It wasn't far from the truth. If Kjan's stories were remotely true, an idle Phaerin Grey was a thing to be avoided at all costs.

Kjan glanced past Silvryn at Jate. The young man had a faint coating of dust in places that suggested an extended stay in the library. "Uncovered any vast reserves of useful knowledge yet?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 14th, 2009, 1:15 pm 

"Vast reserves of knowledge, yes. Useful..well, I suppose we'll see. As long as my head doesn't burst from all the things I'm shoving into it, they could be useful." Jate grinned for what felt like the first time in ages. The experience in the library, while showing him how much more he had to learn, still lifted his spirits. He was learning, and he was surrounded by informative people. The Heartshard warmed faintly in his pocket, perhaps to remind him that he had that too.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2009, 11:22 pm 

"Yeah, try to limit the exploding to our enemies when possible," Kjan advised. "It'd be unfortunate if the last heir to the throne exploded over something so trivial as studies."

There was a brief moment of awkward silence before it was disrupted by hurried footsteps echoing once more down the corridor. "What's the meaning of this?" Dr. Stallos demanded as his head poked through the doorway. A pair of spectacles were perched precariously on the end of his pointed nose. "Visiting hours are over. Patients need their rest."

"He only just woke up," Kjan objected.

"I have other patients, you-" The physician paused to sniff the air, then an accusatory finger began jabbing itself into Kjan's chest. "You've been smoking in here. After I specifically told you not to, you went and did it anyway. Contaminated the air of the entire ward, no doubt."

Kjan didn't have any immediate response except backing away from the offending finger. So he'd lit a pipe for fifteen minutes, several hours ago. It wasn't like he'd had anything better to do, and the smell was almost entirely gone already. Which was unfortunate, given that the room ordinarily smelled of strange herbs and laudanum and other substances that he didn't care to identify. "I-"

"Out. Get out now, all of you. You may come back at a reasonable hour in the morning, provided that you've decided to abide by my rules."

"Dr. Stallos," Silvryn quickly interjected before Kjan could reply. "We were only hoping to speak to Phaerin briefly, then leave him to his much-needed rest. If we promise to be quiet, might we remain for a few more minutes?"

Stallos seemed to consider, looking from Silvryn to Kjan. "I will return in five minutes," he said at length. "At that time, I expect to find only one individual still occupying this room." He waited for everyone to nod in agreement, then pushed up his glasses and departed.

Kjan was silent for a moment, then abruptly declared, "I like him. He's nearly as fun as Dante."

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2009, 7:20 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"Anybody want to switch places?" asked Phaerin, highly rhetoric. The quip fell on quiet threaded through by that steady flute.

He sighed, glancing between the three of them. "I am sorry, you know." Though dark gods save him from his father ever knowing. "It's not as much of a game as it was. We have Raen to thank for that."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2009, 1:58 pm 

"The rebel thing was getting old anyway," Kjan said, shrugging dismissively. "You can only raid caravans, rescue prisoners, and publicly flout authority so many times before it becomes just another job. It was about time some murderous elves came and shook things up."

He paused for a moment, then added, "However, if you happen to come up with any ideas for making things more interesting while waiting for said murderous elves, by all means share. I have a feeling Stallos is about to restrict my visiting privileges, and politicians give me a headache. Present company excluded, of course."

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 6:34 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"If you'd like," said Phaerin, "I can arrange for you to fall off a roof. That should be interesting enough, and then you won't have to bother with visiting privileges." He quirked an eyebrow. "Which, speaking of, you're all going to lose if you don't get out of here right quick."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2009, 7:41 pm 

Kjan considered sharing his opinion of what Stallos could do with his 'visiting hours,' but they were in mixed company. And, given their recent luck, it might be prudent to stay on the good side of the best trained medic in the region.

"I was planning on reconnoitering the kitchens before bed anyway. Jate can help me." Without waiting to find out whether Jate was interested in helping, Kjan led the young man out of the room by the sleeve.

Silvryn hesitated by the door, lacking a reason to stay but not especially inclined to leave just yet. It was nice to be away from political demands, if only for a moment. "Can I get you anything before I go?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next