Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 9:52 pm 

I've personally never liked this "popularity" division between someone known as an "oldie" versus a "newbie".

<b>Misty Mountains (Best Middler)</b> - I do believe this ranges from under 2.5 years but more than a year.

<b>Eldest (Best Oldie)</b> - I do want to change this to like 3+ years, because why would we torture ourselves calculating per month too? I don't like the idea of changing it though, per the demographic ages of the forum. I think that it's conforming to a specific group and not for the whole forum. If new members, over-time, fit into the oldie category, they should be allowed to do so, and not be trapped in this "age-range".

<b>Numenorian (12+)</b> - I think we can easily just change this to -12 months member.

<b>Tolkien Knowledge vs. Tolkien Purist</b> - both Nienor and I have Tolkien Knowledge. However, Nienor is also a Tolkien purist. She is known for preferring the original depictions of the text while I more prefer the cinematic differences.

<b>Fool of a Took</b> - um... so we want to change this into... the opposite? For those who spell correctly? That's... a huge range of members. We'll have like 50 nominations.

<b>Ioreth</b> - I honestly have no idea. Maybe someone who is just easy to talk to?

<b>GRaphics Awards/Signature Combo</b> - Someone who makes graphics doesn't necessarily have a superb signature combo. Signature combos are aimed for any one, not just graphic makers. For example, a member with not a lot of graphics making history can have great signature combos by way of those who made it for them, etc.

These can only be changed if smeagollum is willing to do the Graphics award every year like Meldawen.

<b>Nazgul</b> - is aimed for LOTR specifically.

<b>Haradrim</b> - Not LOTR.

I understand that it seems that these awards have been... distorted over the years.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 10th, 2009, 11:10 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Just to add to the discussion about the Graphics Awards, the Member Awards version is soley based on who people think make the bext graphics.

smeags cook-off, although voting for a specific challenge is involved, the points get racked up by the amount of graphics you make - not always awarded due to the content and skill. Whereas, I'm kinda figuring most people here judge a graphics maker on the "ooooh" appeal not the "OMG, there's so many".

So even if smeag did have a cook-off every year (and I doff my hat already if she intends to), I'm not sure obliterating the Members Graphics Awards is a good idea as they are quite different.

Also, I would like to see an award that would suit someone who basically loves the films and knows them better than the books. Then things would be fairer, as you'd have the Purist award for the people who can quote the books off by heart, and the film obsessives who can tell you how many leaves were used in Lothlorien.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2009, 7:35 am 

Kitoky wrote:
I've personally never liked this "popularity" division between someone known as an "oldie" versus a "newbie".

<b>Misty Mountains (Best Middler)</b> - I do believe this ranges from under 2.5 years but more than a year.

<b>Eldest (Best Oldie)</b> - I do want to change this to like 3+ years, because why would we torture ourselves calculating per month too? I don't like the idea of changing it though, per the demographic ages of the forum. I think that it's conforming to a specific group and not for the whole forum. If new members, over-time, fit into the oldie category, they should be allowed to do so, and not be trapped in this "age-range".

<b>Numenorian (12+)</b> - I think we can easily just change this to -12 months member.

I do agree that members seem to be trapped in a certain age tyranny depending on the date they joined, and with the same group of people all the time, if we keep these awards. They might have first been created to honour people for simply being them, so there would be awards for people who didn't fit into other categories...? which make them sort of random awards.

I have another idea though. We could change the membership based awards to depend on a certain amount of posts. Like 7000+ posts, 4000-7000 posts, -4000 posts or how many awards we choose to divide them in, that way it still stays sort of a random award that everyone can earn but you are able to move within the group of people you otherwise would be put in and nominated with.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 24th, 2009, 3:27 pm 
Vala
Vala

Was wondering if anyone feels we could have Round 9 anytime soon? It's been more than 6 months, I'd think. That is, if people are up to it. :erm:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 1:28 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I thought that it had already been put up. :blink:

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 1:43 pm 
Vala
Vala

Oh no, the last was Round 8 I think, which happened around August-November last year. O_o

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 1:45 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Oooohhhh, okay. :blink: well, if we’re going with doing the MAs once a year then we aren’t behind really. :erm:

-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2009, 4:17 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

I can do them again this year if everyone wants. =) I have a job now, but I can definitely make the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2009, 6:13 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

If you really want to I sure don't have a problem with that... but if you're really too busy I'm sure we can work something else out. :) btw, are we going with whatever they were planning before? I didn't really sit down and read through it but I skimmed through it and, to me, it struck me as different and confusing... is that just me? :erm:

-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2009, 5:12 pm 
Vala
Vala

@ Aliana - Like PD said, absolutely no problem with that as long as it's no inconvenience to you. :)

@PD - I skimmed through as well and from the posts that I read it seems most agreed with having the MAs every 6 months or so. But yes, it's a bit confusing I guess, when I have time I shall have to read through everything properly. :lol:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2009, 5:32 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I think that would be a good idea... but some of the other stuff... like doing different awards that haven't been done in recent years ect was confusing. Mostly because if something works why change it? :P but yeah... so how many people are really interested in doing this? :erm:

-sig by Loafers-