Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I don't get what happened.
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 6:02 pm 
Maia
Maia

I joined this forum a long time ago and back then... there were a LOT of active people. Now that I've come back... it's become so quiet. :(
Why is this?!

Siggy set made by the amazing Lembas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:03 pm 

I've noticed this, also. Especially in the last couple of months. I kept waiting for things to pick up during the summer, but it never did. And then, I got busy too, and I had to leave for a while.

It seems people have just lost touch, for some reason. There also doesn't seem to be as much to discuss or bond over lately, so naturally people will start to loose interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:07 pm 
Maia
Maia

Yeah, I've noticed that as well. We all used to be friends in some way... But, we have to pick this up again. I don't want this forum shutting down. This has been my favorite forum ever since I joined in 2007. I'm not gonna let it leave. Haha. I had my friend join and she's going to help recruit people. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:12 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

You see, people naturally presume that summer means everyone has more time to spend on the computer. We all know this is not always true, and AU is often quiet in the summer. When people get back to school/work etc and get back into a routine so they know how much time they have to spend on AU, that's when things get moving again round here.

But having said that, if there are not any major active topics for people to participate in, even those willing to spend time here again, tend not to. So it is a vicious circle in that respect.

Perhaps a few discussions would not go amiss? :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:14 pm 
Maia
Maia

Well, then I believe that we need to make some discussions that won't bore people. That it will make them want to stay and talk about it. But, we need to decide what topics to speak on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:16 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Spontaneous topics are always a good idea. Just something you may think of during an ordinary day or something.

And don't forget, the Hallowfest is back this year which always draws people in, even the lurkers. ;)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2009, 7:18 pm 
Maia
Maia

Ohhhh, yeah! When does the Hallowfest start up? I don't think that I've ever been around during one... Which is sad, since I've been here since 2007. Haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 2:05 am 

Welcome back Amara! :-)

Hallowfest is on during the last two weeks of October.

A few comments and reflections. I've been here for some four years now and when I joined the old forum it was quite an active forum, then we moved to here and we had lots and lots of discussions and fun and game all around. It was the wild and crazy youth... then it seemed like the crowd matured in a way and people were still very active and dedicated but since the forum had grown into such a huge place the members tended to group around certain interests or would focus on posting in a handful of topics they could keep up with. That's when the members started bonding more and talking outside of A-U too. Not necessarily a bad thing, it was more like forming smaller communities within the huge community. And also we kept getting new independent members who found their way to A-U because of an interest in LotR. So people have come in waves (generations) and helped shake things up in turn.

After RotK came out things slowed down but it still felt like there were quite a few people sticking around. Only now.. I don't know, the last year or year and a half, things have been quieter. The LotR fever has faded so we don't get many new members and the A-U crowd matures and get older, go to college or university or on to senior year or high school and ou schedules change. The world changes around us and we change with the world. That's life but I don't think A-U will ever fade altogether. There are always members who will keep coming here at all times. :-)

So what to do about this... I agree with JF that topics that concern us and relate to peoples everyday lives is a good idea. I like a mix of 'heavy' and 'light' topics but it's a lot easier for people to shoot a few comments to a lighter topic. Topics on life, love and the Universe is bound to take some more thinking and time. Also, even a small crowd dedicated on posting can make a difference.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:45 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

To speak for myself - I found hobbies. I didn't have any before... I do now. And posting in forums just isn't my thing anymore unless something catches my eye especially. So really, I've lost interest; I know many gone members who feel the same as me.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 10:32 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I think though, when the Hobbit comes out, this forum will be full of new people again. Because some people who watch The Hobbit will never have seen LOTR and then that will get them interested.

Will you be coming to the Hallowfest this year Haldy?

It would be great if the Mods could send out an email to all the members, be interesting to see what reaction we would get back.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 11:29 am 

Hmm I don't know why people left. But I don't think that more discussions are to bring people back.

The mods already refreshed the book & movie section but when people are not here than they won't respond to these threads either.

I can recall that during the Hallowfest of last year the AU has been very empty as well. It seems that since than people have been leaving and getting lifes busier than before.

So.. yeah.. I'm not sure what to do about that.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 12:01 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

I think though ultimately, AU does go through these phases. We tend to remember the really busy times for yesteryear, and not the "really busy times amongst quiet times" like Halloween and Christmas.

I for one, would be willing to spend more time here if more topics interested me. Currently, I am enjoying renewing conversation about international things and also discussing the Hallowfest. So while that works for me, it won't for others. But maybe when we find the reason/s why people don't post as much - and they are AU-related and fixable - maybe we can work something out.

Like... the contest section. We used to have loads of contests but not many lately. Something like having new contests might bring some of the graphicers back.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 12:11 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Well I do not wanna sound like a smart-ass but I think people you know come to grips with the choices of their own life. It means little time for internet and more time for study though I might be wrong since I think that member activity is getting increasing in the winter time compared to summer-time.

Will be going to London on March of the 30th

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 3:21 pm 
Maia
Maia

Well, here's what we can do... We can go to the section for polling and put different reasons down as to why they don't come on anymore. And maybe, just maybe, we can figure things out and fix them. Sound good or no?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:13 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Will you be coming to the Hallowfest this year Haldy?

I'll be present, but I don't think I will actually participate. : (
Amara wrote:
Well, here's what we can do... We can go to the section for polling and put different reasons down as to why they don't come on anymore. And maybe, just maybe, we can figure things out and fix them. Sound good or no?

Would work but for one tiny flaw in your plan: people can't respond to these polls unless they are active. You're not gonna find anything out this way.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2009, 5:24 pm 

I think people not being around has more to do with their outside lives than AU itself. It's not that the forum is wrong or the people here have done anything wrong, it's just that people are getting older and spending more time on other things. Even comparing myself from this year to last year at this time. Last year I was on here a ton, and this year it took me a month or so to really be like, "yeah, I'd like to start posting again."

Profile       WWW