Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 8:21 pm 

Yay! That'd be awesome Naur. It's really a pretty easy job. The evening of the 17th I'll PM you your group, and you can contact them however you wish. You'll need to set up a thread in Misc Randomness for your team (jazz it up however you want). There you'll motivate your team to do the events/challenges, keep everyone up to date, tally team points, and in general be available in case something comes up. (Like, check once a day type of thing.)

Something all team leaders should know: Check back in here. We should keep this area for discussing events, contests, and so forth. So that we're all on the same page, make sure you look here.

Our first event is:
Have teams make a flag or a poster or a song for the team. These are not judged. If someone makes something, they get a point for their team. The more people who participate, the more points you get. Have people just post it in the team thread to make things easy.

The next event is...
discuss.
"Graphics
Writing
LotR Quizzes
Word Finds
PicSpams
Mazes (our maze spelled out Pippin)
FallingWords
etc... "
"I was thinking it would be pretty neat if perhaps there was something that people could post around the forum that directly relates to their group.... like almost a way to get a quote from their race in a post or something. And not just like adding "my precious" at the end."
"There is this one site called Quizardry. I don't know if anyone knows about it, but I really like playing their quizzes which people can submit when they sign up for free.

There are already LOTR quizzes on there (and we would have to trust people not to cheat and google the answers) but it might be neat if we had our own LOTR quiz that was slightly harder. Then people could use the Print Screen button and let people see their score. "

We can have multiple things going on, but need to start setting them up.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 2:02 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I'm still trying to think about what people could try and include in their posts, without it being obvious that they're trying to just gain points.

"So today I was talking to my dad and I said "my precious, when can I learn to drive?"

^ You know, that sounds kinda wrong. :P

I know this is nothing to do with LOTR, but something like colours would be easier, as if someone was going to say they nearly got hit by a truck, they would get a point for stating the colour, and it wouldn't be so obvious that it was part of the event.

So I'm not sure if anyone can think of anything similiar..... maybe quotes are not the way to go, and just words that relate to LOTR as well as other things, like: "stew" - "rabbit" - "fish" - "potatoes" - "pint" - "pony" - "beard" - "carrots" - "eagle" - "king" - "cross country"

Those kind of things maybe.

And I am quite happy to set up some Quizardry quizzes. But I'm not sure if I am the best person to come up with the questions. Each quiz can have 100 questions, and they can have pictures as well as just questions. So there is an opportunity to have a quiz with varying degrees of difficulty as well as either a themed quiz or a little bit of everything.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 2:09 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

how would we keep track of people posting around the forums and making sure they are posting for the contest and just not because

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 2:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well there are only going to be X amount of people involved and each team leader should know who is on his or her team. Maybe each person at the end of their day, could report back to their group thread and prove they posted things throughout the day. Then the leader would tally up their points.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 2:35 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

That makes sense :D

I'll list all the contests we did on LJ so we can sift them!

For some contests we can do a voting where each Team Member sends in their entry to their team Leader and then the leaders will send all the entries to one designated leader so that they can make a voting thread that way voting can by anonymous

http://www.flash-gear.com/index.php?puzV
^ a great site for puzzles and polls and what not for a jigsaw contest or something else...

of course this is just some suggestions, but they are really fun :)

List:
Fallen Phrase
Word Find
Maze
Picspam
Pop Quiz

Sig Banner: Create a Signature banner for yourself. You can make more than one, but you only get points for the one banner.

Icon Challenge: Your task is to make up to 4 icons with pictures from the movies (no other pictures of the actors or other kinds of art).
.....themes:
1) Team icon: Make an icon clearly displaying the name of the team
2) Close-Up: Make an icon of someone with them occupying 85% of the space of the icon.
3) Epic: LotR is epic. We all know this. And the movies had many "epic" scenes, so try to make an icon of something, that you think is "epic".
4) My precious: Make an icon of somthing that is precious to you. Do you want the one ring for yourself? show that. Do you want a filthy ranger? SHOW THAT!!! and so on.

Re-Writing Challenge: Re-write the Prologue from The Fellowship of the Ring. How would it have sounded from Elrond's point of view? Would Sauron have told things a little differently? What about Isildur? Your submission may be serious or cracky; it's entirely up to you.

Further specifications: Minimum 100 words, maximum 600. Must be told from ONE character's point of view. Please don't forget that all entries should remain anonymous until after the voting is over and the winners are announced.

Fanmix Challenge: Create A fanmix. I hope you're all familiar with a fanmix, but basically it is a collection of songs for one cohesive theme. You can pick ANY Lord of the Rings Theme, a ship, a character, a theme such as friendship or battle. Crack is always welcome.

What you need to include :
- Both a Back and Front Cover. 400x400px (you can ask someone on your team to help you with this if you like)
- At least 6 songs (title, a sample of the lyrics and artist)
- A Small description of your fanmix, why you chose that theme, what the songs represent etc Min 50 words.
- Downloads are optional, if you don't want to upload songs, feel free to link to a youtube video of each song.

Wallpaper: make a wallpaper out of your favourite - or one of your favourite scenes from the Trilogy. ONE scene only! Please submit a thumbnail (smaller image, 200px width please) and the link to the original-size of the wallpaper. One Wallpaper per person. Minimum size 800x600.

ABC challenge:
You must choose two of the prompts listed below using the first and last letters of your LJ username. Your submission can be entirely about the prompts you have chosen, or you can only mention them once. Your submission may be serious or cracky; it's entirely up to you.

The prompts:

A: Gimli
B: Swords
C: Gollum
D: Lorien
E: the One Ring
F: battle
G: trees
H: Aragorn
I: Moria
J: food
K: elves
L: horses
M: Gandalf
N: Mordor
O: Denethor
P: hobbits
Q: water
R: Legolas
S: Frodo
T: Saruman
U: Rohan
V: the Shire
W: Balrog
X: Theoden
Y: palantir
Z: orcs
0-9: Gondor

Example of how to choose a prompt- if Pandora was participating in this challenge, her letters would be 'P' and 'A', which means her prompts would be 'Hobbits' and 'Gimli'.

If your first and last letters are the same, then just use your second to last letter.

Luck Challenge:Comment here with how you'ld like to defend Frodo. Your choices are:
You have my sword
And you have my bow
And my axe!

Each Weapon has been allocated a number of points between 1 and 5.

Writing Senses:You must choose any of the 5 senses (taste, smell, touch, hearing, seeing) and write a short fic about it. It may be serious or cracky; it's entirely up to you.

Hobbit Teaser Poster:*You can enter ONE poster.
*Every poster has to be 450px wide and 600px high.
*You have to write 'The Hobbit' and 'coming soon' (or 'coming not as soon as you'd like' or anything like that) on your poster.
*No text-only posters. Your poster has to have some sort of illustration.
*Brushes, textures and stock-pictures are allowed.

Panorama Icons: You can only submit ONE SET of two icons. Example:
ImageImage
highlight to see that they are two icons

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2750/pan1.jpg
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/9646/pan2g.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 6:59 pm 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

I really like all of these ideas, tbh. I especially like the Fanmix idea. :yes: So many creative contests and such, it sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 7:59 pm 
Vala
Vala

Ooo! Those are great ideas! I absolutely love the re-writing challenge. But instead of just being limited to the prologue, maybe it can be open re-writing any part of Tolkien's work from another character's perspective. I think that would be a great prompt while still giving everyone ample room for creativity.

I was wondering: what if the number of people per group is really skewed? A one or two difference between the groups isn't going to effect much, but one of the fan pairings could be wildly more popular. It may not be as fantastic as choosing a fandom, but sorting the groups in excel would make certain that the groups are even and random. Just a thought...

I'm actually really excited for this! Yay!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 10:54 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

I heard we were getting our team members on the 17th... :bones: May we see??

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 11:14 pm 

Patience, young one. :P I had to reorganize and wanted to let people have more time to sign up. PM's are being sent now.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 11:15 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

My patience has grown thin xP Only joking :hug: Thank you Nurr muchly for doing this!!

edit: wee I got it <33, Now to see who is on team awesome... I mean Gondor

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 11:22 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Awesome. What a coincidence I just finished working on my thread. :P

Hope the thread is OK. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 11:34 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

I may be stealing your layout JF just because it is so awesome!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2010, 11:37 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Thank you. It took me quite a while. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 12:01 am 

I feel like a bad leader after seeing your thread. All the snazzy runes and everything. :D It's spiffy.

I think it would be good to get the re-write started so that people can have lots of time to think on it. Will it just be any part of the story from anyone's perspective? I feel that it should be at least a character from another race. Does someone want to volunteer to run it, or shall I? I think the person who sets it up should have people PM their entries so that it will be anonymous.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 10:08 am 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Thanks. I think I had too much time on my hands.

Question: team leaders can take part in these events?

Question: if say we had quizzes (or things like that), the person who made them couldn't participate, so would we then have one quiz per team leader, so everyone has the chance to participate but they also make one quiz each?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2010, 11:37 am 

Yes, team leaders can participate. And I think it would be good to have each leader make a quiz, to help keep things fair. Perhaps if we made quizzes themed around our teams, that would help keep us from overlapping?

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next