Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: A-U Revival: funding
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:23 am 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

i have a feeling this is going to be the hardest part of the project, but probably the most important.

Ideas/to-do

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:33 am 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

from the first thread, which is already a mess of ideas:

Elegost Eruaphadion wrote:
* If A-U needs funded, then a system needs put in to place. I know its early days yet, but I believe we need something to give to people who help fund the site. Whether this is a custom rank, or different coloured stars, then I believe it would help. I've seen this on other sites before and having 'contributor' stars and stripes makes people feel good.

Ammy Dawne wrote:
First things first, financial obligations. I don't think right now that any one person is going to be able to pay for the whole fee, but there have been several people who have approached me willing to donate. I'm looking at the cost and effectiveness of setting up a paypal account with a 'donate' button or something. That seems to be the most secure route. I like the idea of giving donators a 'contributor' tag, but with the paypal button it's more anonymous, and it may come down to designating a treasurer of sorts for people to contact and tell that they donated and how much. That can be talked over and dealt with later.

Eruraina wrote:
For the financial aspect. It's pretty obvious by Arweb's reply that she's saying that handing the reins of the website over includes paying the bill. And maybe first, I think this should be discussed and planned first because without paying the bill, well there's likely to be no AU at all.

I believe it was Ammy who suggest a Paypal account for AU with a donation button. This might work except for the fact that most people(at least that I know) would look past the donation button thinking that someone else is likely to donate enough to keep the forum running when in reality we end up short of the bill. In my oppinion as a member, finances of the site should be part of the Mod/Admins duty so that the members don't have to worry about it and can just enjoy, but since this site has become so member driven, this might not be so. I suggest that maybe we could set up a plan where people sign up to pay the bill ahead of time. For example: Bob, Bill, ang Garret will pay February's bill, while Jane, John, and Bubu signed up to pay the March bill, and have the list go on like that to make sure we get enough money every week/month. And maybe have someone who is willing to be a backup in case one person can't come threw. But a donation button could also be used in case there are those who want to donate, in which case it can build a kind of emergency fund for tight times when the money can't be made from the volunteered donors or there aren't enough volunteers(such a time might happen like around major holidays such at Christmas time).

Another thing about the money is that I would want, as a members, one person that I can fully and completely trust with my money to handle the finances. Someone suggested a treasurer, and baisically that's what I'm talking about. I don't want ten different people organizing the money and not knowing what exactly is going on with it. I'd want just one person that I know for a fact that I'd be able to trust with the money. And possibly several others to check up on what the treasurer is doing to make sure said person is staying honest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 9:55 am 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Well my two cents about how to go about it has already put in, but there's one more thing: I agree with Elegost. Insentive would be a good idea.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 1:49 pm 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

i don't think that would be a bad idea. i'd see it like, if you donate, you get a "donator" rank for the month you helped pay for the site. otherwise we'd end up with an entire forum of donator ranks and the incentive would be gone.

a paypal button would be a good idea too, all we'd need is a "this site is funded entirely by member contributions" on the homepage of the site and forum. it could also hyperlink to a further explanation of why we need donations.

as for a treasurer, how do we pick someone we all trust. if (hypothetically) i was the treasurer, the best insurance i could give you would be, say my home address. even then it's going to be a leap of faith since it's the net.

a good idea would be to pay the bill as far in advance as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 1:58 pm 

Just wanted to post Eru's comment from the general discussion thread. Although, I don't think it will divide the forum, I do share her concern that we should try to keep money (and in member-donations) out of the picture... Isn't there other options that can be looked into.. the dreadful banner ads? We already got them.. or moving to another server.. thingie...?

ErulissëEnethNîn wrote:
To be a member of a community shouldn't have to cost anything (no matter if you're a member, a mod or an admin) and the burden of paying a monthly fee shouldn't have to be placed on a few select souls. That burden is only going to divide the board in two (those who step up to the plate and those who can't/won't) and be the cause for so much drama and guilt-ridden feelings. A-U already has enough of that, do we really need to add this to the lot?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:06 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

Invisionfree has more ads, less control over the content, and an inevitable hierarchy depending on who's running it. We can't connect it to the main website and, really, we have an ENTIRE forum already built and successful, along with a good number already planning on donating money. The question now isn't whether we want to keep the forum and pay the fee, it's finding a suitable avenue for it that will appeal to everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:10 pm 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

I don't see it as being a required payment. Plenty of sites are free, with a donation option existing for those who want to say thanks, good job, etc.

I for one would donate here but wouldn't have any problem with those who can't or don't want to donate. It's entirely optional.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:13 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

I will openly say that I won't be donating any money simply because I can't. I can barely survive as it is with my limited finances. But I am not the tiniest bit guilty about it nor do I feel that I'm any less significant than the people who will be offering donations. ; )

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:28 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ Yes, I'm kind of in the same boat as Haldy. I won't be able to contribute financially, but I will do all I can to help wherever I can.

I'm on the fence about whether people who donate should get an incentive or anything.... or certainly a rating/rank system which everyone can see everyday and it might make non-donaters feel like their contributions or just general membership isn't of value.

But on the other hand... it would be nice to give people who can donate something. Maybe like an uber prize of their choice? (graphic, video etc)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:40 pm 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

To be honest, most of the people who'll donate don't expect anything.

Would you guys be more comfortable if we just got ~six donors who've committed to monthly payments? We'd only post a paypal link if necessary .

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:41 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Or how about a list on a separate page of the main website? Of "monthly donators", and people can choose whether to have their real name or username listed. Along with maybe a "donators this month" on the main page of the main website.

The rank thing seems a bit redundant to me, and most websites give recognition to people who donate by crediting/thanking them on a page, not giving them a pointless rank on a forum. I think this form of recognition is simple enough to work with and very fair to those who deserve to be recognized in this area.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:46 pm 

Alright... I may be convinced now... I've just never seen sites of this relatively small scale that operated entirely on member-donations, so the idea is new to me. :)

I've come to think about something though. If we all contribute what little skill, money, time, and blood we have, we all ought to be rewarded...!! :P
I mean taking part in organising isn't a big deal for me because I enjoy it.. people with coding and graphic skills have offered their help because that's what they like, and members who have little time on their hands but just want to relax and hang around to talk about The Hobbit or RP is as important and valuable to the forum than anyone else.
So - playing Devil's advocate here - why would we reward only the people who donate money? If everyone contributes to the best of their abilities.. well, in this light the sugar-daddies is only just another piece in the great A-U puzzle. I mean I would happily reward the money-donors because without the money, there is no A-U. But.. at the same time I feel we ought to honour the coding/graphics people because they do a great job with skills they have actually worked for - and more patience than I have at my disposal for an entire lifetime! :teehee:

Maybe some of the people who would be inclined to donate money would come forward and suggest what they would like as a reward or incentive to donate. :)

EDIT: Just read your recent posts.. that might work. If that's how the money-donors feel. Like I said, I know I'm working for A-U because I'm having a lot of fun with it... I wouldn't want anything for it! :laughbounce:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Last edited by on January 16th, 2011, 2:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:48 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

We could do what I suggested - for every form of contribution given?

Ex., a list of coders, graphic makers, funders, etc... we could have a credentials page just for this purpose.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 2:55 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

^ Yes, that would be a good idea.

And then beside each name, as a way of telling people how you could thank people even more you could add:

Johnny's Fan - seeks uber wealthy, middle-aged American with no kids for much money spending and sight seeing

:teehee:

I wish! :lol:

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:16 pm 

Haldir of Lórien wrote:
We could do what I suggested - for every form of contribution given?

Ex., a list of coders, graphic makers, funders, etc... we could have a credentials page just for this purpose.

I was thinking about this too. It would be good anyway to have some page explaining who the people are that have taken over the reins and such to, so that people will know who to contact for stuff as well. And then we can credit the people who've contributed.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 16th, 2011, 5:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

Okay guys, just so we can get a clearer picture of this can people who are willing to donate/contribute please PM me and tell me how much you are willing to give and how often.

This is not me being nosy, I have been asked to compile a list so we know where we stand on the funding front of things. We can sort out a way to credit people later.

It's twisting on a thread

+ COME RAISE THE DEAD +

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next