Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Do you think it was hard to read FOTR?
yes, very hard 10%  10%  [ 18 ]
yes, a little 45%  45%  [ 81 ]
no 45%  45%  [ 82 ]
Total votes : 181
 Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 3:24 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

My parents used to read LOTRs to me growing up so by the time I was old enough to read it myself I knew most of the story already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 13th, 2011, 10:28 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It was definitely hard for me. I tried twice, and gave up even before the Council of Elrond. I just couldn't handle the writing style.

I picked up RotK one day and opened it to the battle at the Black Gates. Read a couple pages, went back to FotR, and motored through as fast as I could.

I do think the way it's written makes it hard to get into at first, but I found/find that the second, or third, or fourth time through, I love it. Once you know the story and you're familiar with his writing, you can sit back and appreciate it. His writing is just so beautiful; it makes everything seem so real, it captures the imagination, it makes you laugh and cry. There's something majestic about it.

So even though it was a chore to read through it the first time, I'm glad he wrote the way he did. It's worth it once you re-read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 8:34 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Minuialwen wrote:
It was definitely hard for me. I tried twice, and gave up even before the Council of Elrond. I just couldn't handle the writing style.

I picked up RotK one day and opened it to the battle at the Black Gates. Read a couple pages, went back to FotR, and motored through as fast as I could.

I do think the way it's written makes it hard to get into at first, but I found/find that the second, or third, or fourth time through, I love it. Once you know the story and you're familiar with his writing, you can sit back and appreciate it. His writing is just so beautiful; it makes everything seem so real, it captures the imagination, it makes you laugh and cry. There's something majestic about it.

So even though it was a chore to read through it the first time, I'm glad he wrote the way he did. It's worth it once you re-read.

I can see why people would be put off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 1:45 pm 

I definately found it pretty hard the first time I read it. I was pretty young when I first tried to read it.

I'd read The Hobbit prior to anything LOTR, and the difference in the way both are written are very striking. I don't know, the Hobbit has always been easier for me to get through than LOTR. :P

But I agree with what seems like the general sentiment, that once you get through FOTR (and TTT and ROTK for that matter), it's a LOT easier to go back and reread them because you're used to his style, his voice, etc. And you know what happens and it generally makes a lot more sense than trying to wade through it all in FOTR for the first time. :P

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 3:38 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

The Hobbit is definitely a good book to start with. It's a lot easier to read, but it still introduces you to Tolkien's style, which would help if you go on to LotR. My younger brother (12) wants to read LotR, but he tried the Fellowship once and found it too hard. Since he already knows the story, I suggested he just start in the Two Towers, when the ball's already rolling and exciting things are happening. Then after he's done he can go back and read the Fellowship.

I think it's amusing how the things that make it hard to read the first time are precisely the things that I now love about the books. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2011, 7:53 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Minuialwen wrote:
The Hobbit is definitely a good book to start with. It's a lot easier to read, but it still introduces you to Tolkien's style, which would help if you go on to LotR. My younger brother (12) wants to read LotR, but he tried the Fellowship once and found it too hard. Since he already knows the story, I suggested he just start in the Two Towers, when the ball's already rolling and exciting things are happening. Then after he's done he can go back and read the Fellowship.

I think it's amusing how the things that make it hard to read the first time are precisely the things that I now love about the books. :roll:

hehe! defo a good way to start.

Post subject: Re: Do you think it was hard to read FOTR the first time?
PostPosted: March 29th, 2011, 1:14 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I think I read Fellowship for the first time when I was about 10, but overall I found it rather dull. A few years latter when I re-read it for the first time, I must say I enjoyed it much more. Fellowship does get much easier to read after you read the whole series I think, as you pick up on a lot more. I also think that Book 1 of Fellowship is a nice change of pace from the rest of LotR. I am currently reading it aloud to my sister, but she is having my stop and explain what just happened every several pages. :closedeyes:

~Dimosthimise

PostPosted: March 30th, 2011, 9:17 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Location: Land of men, elves, dwarves, hobbits, and fire-breathing dragons.

I started FotR when I was 12..and admittedly,skipped through parts of it because it was boring me to death :erm: Of course I did go back to it a week later after I finished TTT and RotK, then I found out how much I had missed of the Tom Bombadil stuff :-P

^Made by my little brother^

PostPosted: March 31st, 2011, 5:01 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

No, I read it pretty quickly...

PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 3:19 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I read it at the end of the exams start of 6th form! My mum read me a little when i young, but because they did know back then i was dyslectic :-(. So reading was always a challenge for me! I read Harry Potter etc, but i soon went back to the lord of the rings, i just have to read some parts twice for it to sink in! :confused2: I love fantasy, but i have yet too read the other two, i only read the first one, hopefully i can take them on holiday this year! I read the hobbit, which was easy and hard!?! :lol: I read a lot slower then most people!

PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 4:58 pm 
Maia
Maia

I think if you read the hobbit first then you almost want to read FoTR afterwards. But if you see the movies first then i guess most people who enjoyed the films mightve been inspired to read the books as well.

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 3:42 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

What?! Hard to read?! Not at all! :)

I didn't exactly find it hard to read. I was in the 6th grade I believe, and I was still on the verge of "sort of interested, but not just yet" sort of thing. S I read it more slowly than I read TTT or ROTK, but not because I found it hard to read. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 21st, 2011, 8:51 pm 
Elf
Elf

I saw the movies first, and fell in love with them. :D That was in 4th grade, I think. The year after I picked up FotR and started reading, and then continued with the other two. Would I be here if I had not fallen in love? :lol: I didn't find any of them hard to read. Well, maybe a bit. Yeah. . . .:)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2011, 6:00 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

The first time I read Fellowship of the Ring, it seemed rather hard to understand and enjoy to me, I must have been ten or eleven years old at the time. Having picked it up again a few months ago, it was fun, and easy to appreciate as a great work of literature as well.

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 3:20 pm 
Istari
Istari

I started reading it when i was really young so it took me a really long time...

PostPosted: May 5th, 2011, 8:34 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

That's alright! I mean, it's understandable. The fact that you even knew they were in exsitance at such a young age is an accomplishment, IMO. ;-)

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 199 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next