Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: TRANSLATIONS -- All need for translations post here!
PostPosted: March 20th, 2011, 4:13 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I tried to translate on my own but I'm not sure if its correct.

Fëanya caluva oialë ve eleni mí mornië.

My soul shall shine forever like stars in the darkness.

and just curious if anyone could help me put it in tengwar too that would be AWESOME! :-D

PostPosted: April 5th, 2011, 7:17 am 
Elf
Elf

I would like the quote in my sig translated, please. :)

"How do you pick up the threads of an old life. . . . . . how do you go on, when in your heart, you begin to understand, there is no going back."

Thanks in advance!

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 6th, 2011, 4:35 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

This isn't a translation, really, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me which one of these, if any, is the correct version of the phrase "Il ilya ya rana ier wanwa". As you can see they're both the same until the end, where I'm not sure which is the correct tengwa to use for "r" in "ier" and which "w" to use in "wanwa". Also, I'm uncertain about the placement of the vowels.
So does anyone know for certain what is correct?

(I'm sorry the vowels are so hard to see, but I couldn't make them any clearer. Hopefully you'll be able to see where they're placed and which I've used. Over "r" in "ier" there's a dot and a line...)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 19th, 2011, 6:19 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I'm trying to get the translation of Ravenwolf/Raven Wolf to both Sindarin and Quenya. I tired myself but don't really know what I'm looking at. If anyone can help me out it shall be much appreciated.

PostPosted: May 6th, 2011, 5:02 pm 
Istari
Istari

Could somebody tell me what -Brotherhood of the Blade- is in any elvish language?

PostPosted: May 7th, 2011, 11:08 am 
Elf
Elf

Okay, I've been on CouncilOfElrond and I think that I can help some of you out. :)

Windth: Here's Raven Wolf in Sindarin: Craban Draug (or Garaf)

And Quenya: I couldn't find Raven, but Wolf is Narmo.

Beriadinelf: Here's Brotherhood of the Blade in Sindarin: Gwador en Hathol

My Sindarin isn't as great as other people's, but hopefully this helps.

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 14th, 2011, 1:06 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I am searching for a translation of my name x) It means "vandal". I have tried to find good synonyms... but I do not find translations for that either x) Would be great if someone could help me :)

The crownless again shall be king. ~

PostPosted: June 4th, 2011, 9:30 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Whow!! Can you please help me to tranlate it? :notworthy:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/829/24716719098262774651596.jpg/

PostPosted: September 14th, 2011, 9:54 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hi!
I am looking for a translation of the following phrases/quotes into either Quenya or Sindarin (the one that makes the most grammatical sense if it were to be spoken out loud).
I've found some sites that generate literal translations of English words but I am not sure if grammar is the same in English as it for either elvish language. Maybe elvish places the adjectives after the nouns, sort of like it is done in Spanish?

Anyhow, here they are:

"Focus on your goal and thou shall not derail from the path."

and...

"Find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest."

Thank you very much in advance and I hope somebody is able to help!

P.S. I saw some older post wondering about how to write in Tengwar on MS Word so here is a link to download the font,http://www.dafont.com/tengwar-annatar.font my research tells me it is the most accurate one (and it will be the one I will use to write the translation of the phrases listed above).

PostPosted: October 27th, 2011, 7:31 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Hey!

I want to know what my name is in elvish.
My name is Sindre. It's norse and means 'to spark". Can somebody help me? Thanks! :)

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 11:06 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I want a sindarin tattoo. I'm thinking of something like 'Daughter of Michael' or 'Cathrine and Michael'
Can anyone help me with not only translations into elvish, but into the tengwar alphabet? I've researched and tried it on my own a few times, but a tattoo is forever so I want to be sure I've done it correctly!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 5:38 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

There is a word in Etymologies: sell 'daughter' and later, in the King's Letter (part of the abandoned Epilogue to The Lord of the Rings) there is a plural sellath 'daughters'. Considering that Tolkien changed his mind a lot, I don't know if this was certainly superseded, or not, by something later, but what I can say at the moment is that it was once considered as the 'Noldorin' word for daughter, and may have been deemed so in later Sindarin.

I've seen sell used in Neo-sindarin compositions, but I couldn't find this word in Words, Phrases and Passages, which would be a post-Lord of the Rings source in any case -- the fact that it doesn't appear here may or may not tell us anything much, unless another word for 'daughter' appears. This also does not include a possible 'daughter of' as an ending, but whole words, as I would like to keep Michael but avoid adding a Sindarin ending to it. So maybe...

*sell Michael for 'daughter of Michael'

I don't think we need a genitival article here, considering Ennyn Durin Aran Moria 'Doors of Durin, Lord of Moria'. Some might try to translate the meaning of Michael and suggest a Sindarin form that might mean the same thing (I note that 'Durin' is not a Sindarin name in any case)...

... but this is not necessarily necessary in my opinion :-D

Although just looking at it in Roman letters, if Michael were considered a Sindarin name it would, in my opinion, be pronounced with: short i as in English sick (Sindarin short i has been debated a bit however, and some think it should be like that in English machine rather), -ch- as in German ach, and ae sort of like in English eye (like in Maedhros).

As I don't have the computer skills to do so, nor the desire to learn how, I can't show you how to write this with Elvish letters however -- but if you like it and no one disagrees with it, I could describe how to write it using the numbered chart in the books, as a last resort and if I can find the time.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2011, 10:53 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

that seems confusing! but i am interested in knowing how to write it using the chart.

also; for anyone who wants to translate into tengwar, here's a really nice website that provides you with not only the tengwar alphabet, but instructions on how to arrange the letters;

http://www.starchamber.com/paracelsus/e ... nutes.html

and this site has numerals;
http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tengwar.htm

here is a full translator, but you need a tengwar font(i found one on dafont.com) and i am not sure how accurate it is, but;

http://tengwar.art.pl/tengwar/ott/start.php?l=en

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 17th, 2011, 1:27 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It would be a matter of me referring to the Elvish letter by referring to its name -- and number, on the chart, with some added description. This is one I already described for Quenya Ellóte for example, which in my opinion would start with...

e-tehta (looks like an acute accent) over a short carrier

Lambe (number 27 in the chart) with two curls above it, curls open to the right (double curl as the vowel o is long here), and a horizontal line beneath the baseline of the tengwa to represent -ll-.

Then Tinco (number 1 in the chart) with an e-tehta above it.

In other words, just find the basic letter next to the number in the chart. Vowel diacritics, if employed, are sort of described, like for examples: three dots, acute accent (or 'slash'), one dot, or a curl open to one side or the other.

If that seems too confusing or bothersome let me know, but as that's one I already did, it was easy to cut and paste here to give you an idea.

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 12:52 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ah, I found a couple things on the interweb!

The first example is actually sellath 'daughters' so you will need to shorten it. I can't seem to get a direct link, but from the first link below click on Calligraphy -- then Maendeithad Edhellen Elvish calligraphy by D. Daniel Andries -- then scroll down to Suilad Aran Edhelharn (or The King's Letter) and click on the picture. On the 4th line of writing from the bottom the first word is sellath -- but again, as you only want sell you will copy the first two characters and the vowel mark and the little line -- because the little line under Lambe (number 27 in the chart) doubles the consonant.

So it's Silme (29 in the chart) with acute accent (or 'slash') above Lambe (with the little line below the top line of Lambe for -ll)

http://www.elvish.org/gwaith/language.htm

As for Michael, Tolkien wrote this himself in an inscription. Skip the first word in the link below, as the writing begins 'For Michael...' and you'll note the name ends with Lambe (27).

http://pic6.picturetrail.com/VOL164/135 ... 019467.jpg

Hope that made it... easier!? And again that's just my opinion of how to write this!

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 8:52 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

thank you!
you are far more educated in elvish than I am. I am checking out the links now to get a better feel for it~

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next