It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stephen Fry, Conan Stevens and Ryan Gage Cast in the Hobbit
PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 9:10 am 
Elf
Elf

Just checked out ToRN today to find some very exciting news

Source

Stephen Fry (of QI, Blackadder, Jeeves and Wooster, and many many other things Fame) Will be playing the Master of Laketown, who- if I remember correctly- gives the Dwarves a warm welcome after their barrel ride and imprisonment in Mirkwood. As Stephen Fry is writing the Dambuster with PJ at the moment, it's not a very surprising casting decision, but I can't wait to see what he brings to the part and the films.

Ryan Gage (David Tennant's Hamlet, BBC Hustle and Holby City) Will be Alfrid, a conniving civil servant. I think Alfrid is an original character, or maybe a character created by fleshing out some of Tolkien's dialogue in Laketown, possibly when they're making Bard King?!?! At least that's my Pure speculation! I can't really comment on Gage as an actor , because he's not well known, even in England, but I'm still happy that so many parts are going to Brit TV Actors

Oh and IMDB Lists Gage as Drogo Baggins, which I am pretty sure is false!

Conan Stevens (Game of Thrones, Man Thing and True Legend) will be Azog the Orc, I clearly need to read the Hobbit again, as I'm struggling to remember whether Azog is the Goblin leader who Gandalf kills in the Misty Mountains, or the Goblin King- some one help me out! Nevertheless, just from googling this guy he looks HUGE, which should mean that he will make a pretty imposing Orc.

So what's your thoughts on these new casting decisions?

Post subject: Re: Stephen Fry, Conan Stevens and Ryan Gage Cast in the Hob
PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 9:23 am 
Istari
Istari

eh I think they're all great! Conan Stevens will be a perfect orc. :P

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 12:22 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

People really need to start checking out AU as well... :P... we have news... :teehee:

Not so happy with SF being cast.... too well known I think.... and always the same kind of character. We'll see.

Conan Stevens is 7 feet tall by the way. The orc he plays is the one who starts off the 9 year war with the Dwarves. I think he kills Thorin.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 3:17 pm 
Istari
Istari

According to what I remember from my recent reading of the Hobbit, Azog gets but a passing mention, concerning Thorin's dad, Thror. Let me look it up...

Info about Azog:
Quote:
From Encyclopida of Arda
An Orc-chieftain of Moria, who started the War of the Dwarves and Orcs when he slew Thrór. He was himself slain by Dáin Ironfoot in the Battle of Azanulbizar, and was succeeded by his son Bolg.

Of Azog's origins we know little; he was the chief of the Orcs of Moria, and apparently the most important Orc of the northern lands. The average lifespan of an Orc is unknown, but it is conceivable that he was one of those sent to Moria by Sauron in about III 2480. He had one son that we know of, Bolg, who succeeded him after his death.

Azog entered history in the year III 2790 due to King Thrór's desire to revisit and perhaps refound the lost realm of Khazad-dûm, in whose mighty ruins Azog dwelt. Azog captured and slew Thrór, and branded his hewn head with his own name, AZOG:

When news of this reached Thrór's heir Thráin, he was greatly angered, and mustered a force of Dwarves to seek revenge on Azog. So began the War of the Dwarves and Orcs: the Dwarves hunted Azog, and many battles were fought beneath the earth. After nine years of war, the climactic Battle of Azanulbizar was fought before the gates of Moria itself.

King Thráin and his son Thorin were in that battle (it was here that Thorin gained the surname Oakenshield). Near the end of the battle, Azog himself emerged and fought with Thráin's cousin Náin and, after breaking Náin's neck, his young son Dáin. Though only 32 years old, Dáin swept the head from Azog's shoulders, and helped to win the day.

The Dwarves made no attempt to press their advantage, though, because Dáin had glimpsed Durin's Bane during his battle, and warned the Dwarves not to attempt to enter Moria. Azog's underground dominions in the north, though greatly reduced in the War, fell to his son Bolg, who held them for more than 150 years until he too met his end at the Battle of Five Armies.

Yep, I was right. I had forgotten about Bolg, but this is further proof that the story is getting really fleshed out.

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: May 19th, 2011, 3:27 pm 
Istari
Istari

That's really cool how so much attention to detail is going to be evident in the movies. Brilliant! (And probably why it's coming out in two parts.)

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 4:18 pm 
Elf
Elf

Stephen Fry? In the Hobbit?

I can't quite decide if this is the worse thing I've ever heard or if I've died and gone to heaven.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 6:01 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hravan wrote:

I can't quite decide if this is the worse thing I've ever heard or if I've died and gone to heaven.

Baaaaaaaaaaad dude. :P

If he plays his usual character... for me The Hobbit will lose all credibility as so far PJ has chosen people who don't have a certain acting persona that they use all the time. I hope they don't just shove him in just because they can.

If the HP films could find no room for SF, then I don't see why the Hobbit should take up the challenge. :no:

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 20th, 2011, 6:06 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I still trust PJ. He knows exactly what he wants, and he'll make sure Stephen Fry gives him just that.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 5:56 am 

Hravan wrote:

I feel the same, the exact same! :P
Perhaps for me not being British (or simply not having paid enough attention to his previous work) I haven't been exposed to him so much in a ton of type castings...
But I can picture him doing a good job in the part he is given.. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara