Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2008, 5:48 am 
Istari
Istari

When my friends and I had a "watch-all-of-the-LotR-movies-in-one-day" day, they decided to count how many endings the movie had - they ended up with a rather large number, considering most movies have one or two endings.. :confuzzled: I understand that you needed that many endings to sort of round up everything and finish all of the characters' stories, but I can also understand that for those who haven't read the books that has the potential to be quite boring and "Oh, not another ending"-y. So personally, for me it's fine, but I can also see where the critics are coming from. Not that they're right or anything :P

<3
top banner by Coccinelle
I'll be back to visit, I promise!
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 1:56 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

You know something.... I don't really care what should have happened in the books. I don't care how cheesy then ending was.... I have just spent 12 hours of my LIFE watching these films. I have been subjected to more emotions than I can count, I have bawled my hours out countless times.... I have been to hell and back again with all the characters..... do I really want an ending that doesn't include everyone meeting each other and being happy and everything bright and glowy? Do I not WANT to see FINALLY Aragorn being crowned and meeting his beloved?

Yeah, right.

In fact, I want MORE "endings" (although, I actually only think there is one ending... when it says "the end"), I want to see more in the future, I want to see Aragorn and Gimli and Legolas together, I want to know what happens to them.

The "endings" could have lasted for another 2 hours for all I cared.

Anything that makes me, JF, the heartless wench that could watch the saddest film ever and not even sniffle, cry my heart out has got to be doing something right. And it's the ending that does it the most.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 2:29 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Applause cue to you my dear. I agree with you completely through and through. After re-watching them, its just been... heart-wrenching to realize that they ended. I want more Sam and Merry and Pippin and Aragorn and everyone! Its just... -sob- I think that another hundred endings would have been good. And the critics can go and die.

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 2:45 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

*squiggle hugs*

I know, I know. And all the people who complain about the bouncey-wouncey-glowy-slo-mo-bed- scene.... honestly, after all the greys and reds, orange and yellows are most welcome. After harshness, glowy-ness is wonderful. And slo-mo makes the first truly happy scene in an age, last longer.

'Nuff said.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 6:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

GAH! :hug: I know! Its so touching, and I can relate to it so well because of all the bye-bye I have to say all the time and then seeing people again IS all glow-y and happy

I think they did an AWESOME job of it frankly...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 6:30 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

:yes: I completely agree. :yes:

Considering they had so many different stories to wrap up, I think they did it really well. And the ending itself is PERFECT. I love the fact it ends with Sam and his family and the Frodo voice-over.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 6:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

ITS SO CUTE! I think that the happy-sad feeling blended with cute is just spiffing. I think that Im just too attached to the story in itself, and that its so familiar and comforting that its perfect :nod:

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2008, 7:05 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

It's so nice to have someone who completely agrees with me.... that's quite rare of late. ;)

I was still crying over the Grey Havens bit, and then I was crying because it was lovely that we saw Sam going home and what Frodo was saying made me all happy-sad-crying rather than sad-sad-crying.

I think the day I find a major fault with LOTR (and I don't just mean "I wish they'd touched that scene up) I think it will be very sad. I don't think it will happen as I love the films too much, but from a non-book-readers point of view, it's almost perfect. To me, some of the biggest changes from the books, makes much more sense than what was previously written (what absolute better way to show the utter evil-ness and treachery of the Ring, than to have allowed it to take over Frodo to the extent that he sends faithful Sam back? It's the ultimate action to prove how it can posess someone) and even when I do read the books, I doubt I'll change my opinion.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2008, 12:37 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

-le gasp- Thou hast not read the books? :faint:

-sobs- But I agree! I agree so much its not even funny. Eve if you havent read them, its amazing. I actually read the books one by one after the movies, and then re-read them all three times. And the books are amazing and so different from the movies, that its the same story in essence, but told in two very diverse and beautiful ways. In the book, for example, I cried when Theoden dies, because he's such a great character there. And Tolkien wrote is to beautifully... But in my eyes it dosent demean him in the movies, merely changes him. And its just so -sob- wonderful -sob- to have TWO glorious takes on this timeless, amazing story.

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2008, 3:22 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Ive heard criticisms by the score from fans and people about PJ's interpretations of the LOTR books, and some of them are genuine grievances, where he has just plain changed the storyline (Arwen stealing Glorfindel's thunder springs to mind, as does Haldir arriving at Helms Deep), but the ending? The ending is not that bad, and in my hinest opinion, this critic is talking utter cr.ap.
End of.

Mephiston

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2008, 7:22 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Hmm, well ...
And this critic is American? Because - I'm sorry to say - I've always found Americans lovers of those great great sentimental scenes.. Strange. However --- what's his problem? I think the ending is perfectly right.

I haven't watched RotK in quite a while now, so yeah, I'd say that there are some very sentimental scenes, but I'm sure when putting the movie on I would have nothing of it missing!

Glossy goodbyes ... sheesh

Post subject: Re: RotK on MSN Top 10 Worst Endings Ever List
PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 10:19 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

ummm what the heck how is this on the worst ending list????? obviously this guy does not know what he's talking about grr

PostPosted: August 12th, 2011, 10:46 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

My dad complained about the endings. He was like, "this movie ends 14 times!" I just glared at him. :grr: lol I know that this was how it was more or less in the books so I was perfectly fine with it. I mean, come on, we gotta know what happens to everybody! :-D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 5th, 2012, 3:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, as movie endings go, I have to admit that he has a point. And nothing, in my opinion, can compare to the Breaking of the Fellowship ending of the FotR movie (which is my most favorite scene!).

BUT, before everyone gangs up on me, I do think the RotK ending was very proper because it is what happens in the book. Also, just as all the characters are saying their good-byes, we are also given a chance to say good-bye to them. It functions as a type of closure, if you will. And it is NOT just a "glossy good-bye," because after the Grey Havens scene, they make a point of showing us that the story goes on with Sam's life in the Shire.

married Mr. Darcy 6/14/2012

PostPosted: July 27th, 2015, 4:32 pm 
Istari
Istari

I don't listen to critics ever so it doesn't make a difference what he has to say. My sisters and I don't like the ending just because it's sad, but it was really well done I think for all that Peter Jackson had to bring to a close.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 28th, 2015, 7:52 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The wnding is sad... No doubts there. I did not particularly like it... However it IS somewhat of an appropriate ending to an epic story. It is just a sad appropriate ending and not wuite what I had expected.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM