Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Return of the Rings 2011
PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 8:47 pm 
Istari
Istari

I really like the idea of the Hobbit Party kicking things off, and the Elven Ball finishing it, and I think having separate threads for what we're wearing, dates/food we're bringing is a good idea, because it wont bog down the main party topic thread. I think anywhere from 2-4 rounds would work well for contests, that way they dont keep dragging on, and the different topics sound good. For the movie marathons, which is a fun idea by the way, the weekends would probably be the best time for people to join in, but how much of the movie would we watch during that? Would we watch the entire thing all at once, or would we stop at certain parts throughout. And which version would we watch, regular version or the extended versions? As for the duration of the different events, how long was the whole RotR event going to last? If we set an end date that may help decide how long each contest or event will last.

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 2:46 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Well, originally we planned RotR's duration to be around 6 weeks. In that case maybe the end should be around 16th October?

As for the movie marathons - first of all I'd like to see how many people are interested and then discuss the details. (Maybe I should make a sign up thread for that :erm: )

Return of the Rings 2011- make it happen

sig.set:by me;
my unbiological sissy is Aerlinn

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 6:02 am 
Elf
Elf

I love the RPG suggestions, my preference is for more random/ funny ones, like the party ideas because I think more people will be able to jump in and it shouldn't be too complicated to get the gist of what's going on. I think if theres gonna be multiple threads then food/outfits/dates could be grouped together as one thread- which means that there's a good place to dump all pictures and not directly related stuff.

I like the idea of a re-watch however timezones might be an issue- European AU members are quite easy to organise as they're usually 1 or 2 hours timedifference, which shouldn't be too problematic, but the American and non-european members time zones could mean that some people might have to miss out because the arranged time is at some ungodly hour of the night etc. Maybe you could arrange it along the lines of the Epic Summer Re-Read, where you take a few scenes at a time, then have some responses, but then you lose the spontaneity and collective 'Squee' of watching together...

I'd love to help out with the RPGs, and some of the contests, but unfortunately I'll probably be back at uni towards the end of RoTR so anything before October I can help with :)

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 3:09 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Great! :D Thanks, Lembas! :hug:

Btw, speaking of random RPGs., I'm still rooting for The Freaky AU Fellowship one. (aside the parties :P) Few years ago we did that kind of RPG - we were exploring Middle-earth during it's first age, it was pretty funny actually. Maybe we could modernise it a little bit - take it to Middle-earth's 3rd age. :P

Yeah, I know the movie marathons are kind of problematic. :erm: Actually they were bugging my mind for a while. I was thinking of multiple hosts for the different time zones for example. Of course this depends on the number of participants. Oh and to answer Lithoniel's question sorry, I forgot to add it to my previous post, Gosh, my organisation skill's are good for nothing. :duh: :blush:- I personally prefer the extended version of the movie and to watch the whole thing at one. I'm afraid that the ''magic'' would disappear if we divide it in parts. But that's just my opinion. I'd watch it even if we decide it's better to do it otherwise. :P

Oh, and I'd like to ask is anyone up for a specific job assignment? :P For example I think I'd like to take part in hosting the Hobbit Party and Elven ball, also one of the fanfiction contests. :P

PostPosted: August 25th, 2011, 10:19 pm 
Istari
Istari

Hmm, time zones would make it problematic...we would have to kick around ideas on how to fix that, I would say divide the threads up into the different time zones, make one for the fans in Europe, and one for American ones and so on, but you may have more participants in one thread than the other, and it may not be as fun, who knows. There's got to be a way to work out the movie thing, because thats too fun of an idea to get rid of. And I agree, the extended versions are better, if everyone has them. And I would do something but I never have done anything like this before, so if its alright I'd rather be behind the scenes on this project and see how it all works. I was always better at being a stage hand than being on the stage.

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 4:19 am 

Posting to show my support. Like I said earlier, I think those are awesome activities. Thank you so much for organising this, Elen (and Smaug). :hug:

Only comment is.. did you take out the locations/scenery fanart contest? Just curious. :)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 6:44 am 
Elf
Elf

Elenthari wrote:
Btw, speaking of random RPGs., I'm still rooting for The Freaky AU Fellowship one. (aside the parties :P) Few years ago we did that kind of RPG - we were exploring Middle-earth during it's first age, it was pretty funny actually. Maybe we could modernise it a little bit - take it to Middle-earth's 3rd age. :P

^This sounds AWESOME!!!

my preference would be for the EE's as well, mainly because they're the only LotR dvd's I have, but also when I watch the theatrical versions I find myself going: "WHAT??? why are thing happening in funny orders, where is X scene etc" hehehe

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 7:22 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Lembas wrote:

my preference would be for the EE's as well, mainly because they're the only LotR dvd's I have, but also when I watch the theatrical versions I find myself going: "WHAT??? why are thing happening in funny orders, where is X scene etc" hehehe

I went to a LotR marathon with my aunt a while back in theaters, first two were extended edition, third was regular...I was like "where's the drinking game!?!?!" lol

I'm brand new to these forums and unsure exactly what this is, but these events sound awesome. Particularly like the movie idea, but as pointed out, the timezones pose a problem.

I would like to suggest some type of lore discussion event, maybe in the chat or something, where someone can post a question they have, and we can all discuss it live. Depending on the number of people, maybe someone could host a vent server or something (wouldn't ask anyone to pay to host, but its an idea). I feel that a live discussion can bear more fruit than a forum post, which happens over time and only one person at a time.

Just a forum newbies idea ;)

"What? In riddles? No! For I was talking aloud to myself. A habit of the old: they choose the wisest person present to speak to." -Gandalf

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 1:07 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

@Lithoniel Multiple threads sounds good actually. But yeah, on the other hand we must have enough people for the different threads. :erm:
It's ok to be behind the scenes, dear. You're helping us a lot ;)

@Ea:Thanks for your support, Ea! :hug: It's awesome to have one of the mods helping you on such topic. :)
To answer your question: Well, originally Smaug and I considered the traditional art contest to be scenery related, but we're still gathering opinions on that matter in the FanArt Section. :) Maybe we could add it to the Digital art contests as a back up plan. :)

Lembas:Great! :D I'm glad you like the idea about the RP. :)

Erkenhelm: Yay, one of the new members is interested in RotR! :wave:
Well,actually when I think of it I recall that sometime ago we've had something similar to your idea around the boards. I think it was something like Tolkien related scavenger hunt.(correct me if I'm wrong, I never had the guts to participate :P) It was a pretty interesting challenge actually. The participants put their knowledge about Tolkien and his work to the test. I even think that the winner was given a special title. :P

PS: Thanks for sticking the RotR advertisement/member recruiting threads, Ea! You're awesome! :hug: :hug: :hug:

PostPosted: August 26th, 2011, 10:52 pm 
Istari
Istari

A Tolkien related scavenger hunt? Hmmm...that sounds fun. Would there be any way to do something like that while doing the movie watching thing? Have threads for serious movie discussion, then a thread for a game perhaps? Or would that be too difficult to do? I'm not exactly sure how to work it, just and idea that popped into my head I thought I'd toss out there. :)

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 4:33 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Actually this sounds like a very interesting idea, Lithoniel! I vote "yes" on it. Maybe we could make a parallel between books/movies. Idk. :P
Although I don't have much experience with organising scavenger hunt, to be honest, I've never done something like this before.:blush: So, yeah...if someone's up to do it, it'd be pretty interesting

PS: Oh, and just one more thing. Do we keep the time line as discussed 5th September - 16th October?

PostPosted: August 27th, 2011, 10:46 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, I thought of either two ideas for the movie scavenger hunt. One could be where its sort of like an I Spy game, only players could be nice and share what scene their item is from to make it easier. I'm not sure about that idea though, there's definitely flaws to it. The other idea I had was to have a list of items from each of the movies and have people name the scene where the random item was found. I'm not sure if that could be some sort of contest or just a game, but I kind of prefer that idea. Still some bugs to work out, but thats what I got. And I think Sept 5th-Oct 16th sounds fine.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 2:16 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Yeah, I vote for your second idea too, Lithoniel. In my opinion it's easier to fulfil. Maybe we could also link the Movie Marathons with the Epic Summer Reread in the scavenger hunt somehow? :erm:

PSL I made some changes in the organisation post

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 8:53 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Could I suggest an RP Event as hosted by the Nazgul Club?

We've done it before though most people here now won't remember it, but we had a mock war once that was very popular.
We could easily do something similer again divideing people into diffrent teams (they could each have to write inadiffrent colour or have a banner) and attacking each other - possibly trying to get the Ring off each other. The advantage is that rather than playing as a charecter you get to play as yourself - though that means you can't make personal remarks about people and normal RP rules apply.

PostPosted: August 31st, 2011, 10:53 pm 
Istari
Istari

Ooo, a mock battle sounds like fun! What do you do, just attack random people from the opposing team or what?

PostPosted: September 1st, 2011, 6:07 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Pretty much, though you could also plan stratagies within your group in another thread. Its essentially organised chaos, and its perfectly allowable to suddenly start makeing candyfloss come out of your sword.

The only change to normal RP is that as it would be hosted by the Nazgul club, and we are undead already, if you kill someone they don't die perfmently. Instead they just die and get resurected by the fact they are undead/have gandalf healing them/have aragorn healing them/ have elrond healing them....you get the picture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next