Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: REVIVAL 2012
PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 7:36 am 

It's been more than a year since we started the original A-U Revival 2011 and we've come a long way. We have updated the main site, we have gotten a beautiful skin for the forum and many new members have joined us. Good job everyone, go us!! :P

But there is still lot's of work to do.

We have some updates for the main site hanging:
- crew bios
- Hobbit stuff
- fan video/YouTube section
- fan art/DeviantArt
- language updates
- and much more

Also, we need to address the issue with the Coding group, and who is available for updating stuff and whether we need new people in the Revival groups.

This thread is meant for general discussion so people are more than welcome to branch out and start threads to discuss specific things like the RPG section, the main site etc.

So come one, come all, new or old, everyone who would like to help out. :-)

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject: Re: REVIVAL 2012
PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 9:35 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Actually, all that's missing on the crew bios is for me to get around to read through them. The cast bios, however, as far as I understand Larael's post from ages ago, are done but just sitting on her computer. So we need to get in touch with her, and then they just need to be updated and read through and they're all done too :)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 2:36 pm 

Alright.. Larael hasn't been on A-U since she went on exchange except for a short visit over Christmas so perhaps someone could contact her over Facebook?

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 2:52 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

JF said she'd try her email, but if you or someone else has her facebook, that is probably just as likely to work :)
I'm about halfway through the crew bios now, when I'm done I'll send my findings to JF and she'll update them, and then they'll be sorted.

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 2:55 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Anameleth wrote:
I'm about halfway through the crew bios now, when I'm done I'll send my findings to JF and she'll update them, and then they'll be sorted.

That doesn't sound good. :hide: :P

I've emailed Larael as I do keep checking her facebook page, and she doesn't seem to be very regular on their either, soI'm hoping she uses her email more. :yes:

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 3:02 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Haha it's not much. Some missing commas, a few sentences that could be rewritten, and a couple of words that are spelled wrong ;)

by Lembas

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 3:08 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

*GASP*

*throws the newest edition of Word out of the window*

What's the point in writing stuff in a programme that is meant to detect spelling mistakes and grammar if it doesn't do it??

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 29th, 2012, 3:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

Do you have anything I can do? I can help out with whatever.

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 4:12 pm 
Elf
Elf

I'm available for doing research, writing things, fact-checking, proof-reading etc. I can't do coding though. :(

PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 4:35 pm 

Thanks for offering your help. So, since no one came running with along list of tasks perhaps we should try to recap what we need/want done at the moment.

- Synariel tried to start up a YouTube channel
- There has been talk of a fan art section featuring DeviantArt pieces
- Eruraina and dreamingfifi want to redo the language section

But perhaps we should go over what we want to focus now in order to make a prioritised list with the resources we've got at the moment.

Coding situation
So, we've got JF, Nurr and perhaps Haldir.
Is there any others out there with coding knowledge who would be interested in helping out?

PostPosted: January 30th, 2012, 8:54 pm 
Elf
Elf

I would be able to help with coding things. :)

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 31st, 2012, 8:35 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Amara and I have offered to help do a revival of the RPGs. It makes me sad that these get so active and then drop off the face of the earth (or, at least, that's what I've seen in my brief time here). I think it's one of the most entertaining things the site offers and I don't want them to die. I know a lot of newbies might be confused by the whole concept, though.

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:35 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Sorry I haven't been here for a few days, I've just been busy.

We really need to start designating jobs to people now. The Hobbit section is severly lacking, so maybe we should try and get that sorted asap?

I have still not heard back from Larael regarding the bios, so someone needs to contact her via facebook, she was on there a month ago and maybe she does check it more often. I'd like to crack on with those.

The Hobbit page. If it looks a bit weird for a few days, it's because I'm getting pages ready for the new content. I've seprate sections for the films and the book, and created sub section for the films - crew bios, cast bios, gallery. I've started work on getting the main gallery page sorted as well, creating new image links for characters etc. I've also moved Nurr's trailer screencaps to the Hobbit gallery, although for now you can also find them on the LOTR gallery page, as I might shut down the Hobbit section this weekend, if I'm working on it and it's causing problems.

As I said, I've got as many Hobbit images on my computer as I could find so I will upload them to AU sometime in the next few days. Nurr - did you use Arwen's gallery generator thingy for the sceencaps? If so how does that work? And how did you create the thumbnails? By hand or with a programme?

When that has been done, I'd like to pass over the gallery onto someone else, someone who is willing to look for new photos and who has basic understanding of our system to upload the images to their own files. I'll be on hand to create new image links, and add them to the gallery HTML file, but other than that this would be a good job for someone else, or maybe have more than one person looking for images, and only one person gets the password to actually add them to the site.

Writing: We could really do with some Hobbit character bios for the book section. I have just looked at the LOTR character bios (need to do something about the layout for that, shouldn't be too hard) and we need something like that for The Hobbit. Would anyone be willing to take a stab at writing the biographies? Maybe cross checking the LOTR bios as well, to make sure things match might also be good.

Opinions: I've just looked at the J.R. R Tolkien page. Do we need the tree thingy Arwen has? Or should each page simply be written links as normal? Do we need all the different sections anyway? [I would just like to say, in my 8 years of visiting AU I have NEVER clicked on that page :swoon:]

Elvish: The Elvish page is looking pretty tired now and I know there are plans to re-vamp the written languages itself. Would that be something you would be willing to help with Crutchie?

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:39 pm 
Elf
Elf

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Elvish: The Elvish page is looking pretty tired now and I know there are plans to re-vamp the written languages itself. Would that be something you would be willing to help with Crutchie?

Yeah, I could definitely help with that. I'd just need all the words and everything to put them on the page, if that's what you want me to do?

Click here to visit my site!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:52 pm 

^ Dreamingfifi's already got part of it written out and on her website, I think. It just needs to be edited and formatted to fit A-U's format. :)

PostPosted: February 3rd, 2012, 5:55 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Yep, and basically just organise things a little better. The Elvish script images for example, they could be removed I think, and the David Salo interview should have it's own category. So it would just be a page that says - Elvish (the sections doesn't sound right, followed by a list of Elvish themed pages. So it is in keeping with the way the rest of AU is set out.

I think generally it's just a tidy up that is needed. If it is deemed that will still need images for the FOTK, TTT, ROTK and Weapons pages, then we need better ones I think.

Profile       WWW