Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gandalf/ Mithrandir etc in FotR
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 11:51 pm 

What is he like? What do you think of him? How do you perceive him? How do you think others in the book see him? Does the poem honoring him really say it like it is? Discuss anything Gandalf here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 3:33 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Wise- of course, the kind of person you want around in a crisis. In the fellowship you warm to him as almost a father figure (if this isn't true through all the trilogy), but then in TTT and ROTK you see him as a great leader, a warrior, and an integral role in the defeat of Sauron.

I used to not understand what happened when he died and came back. As in what/who sent him back, where he went etc. But after reading the Silmarillion I understood a lot more about everything. In summary the greatest gift in that age to middle earth from the Valar.

Post subject: Re: Gandalf/ Mithrandir etc in FotR
PostPosted: May 24th, 2011, 8:27 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I'm re-reading Fellowship right now, partly because I wanted to and partly because every other book I own is in packaging right now ( :p ). Actually, despite how much everyone admires Gandalf in the books and the fandom, and also excluding the fact that he is a lesser god of a sort, in the Shire he is really just seen as an old hag just waiting to ruin someone's life. :lol: Outside of Bilbo and Frodo's admiration for him, it seems that all the hobbits just wanted him to leave the peaceful Shire alone and leave everyone be. So the first 80 pages or so, I saw him as a kindly old man who happended to know a lot of things and was at a high postion in the Council. Obviously that changed later on... :p

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 7:04 pm 
Istari
Istari

Another thing about him is how he seems overly mysterious, at the end of ROTK he lets Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin handle the scourging of the Shire by themselves. Or how he brings more danger to Minas Tirith in a way by letting Sauron think the Ring was there. Although after thinking about it it makes sense why he does what he does.

"Looking behind"

PostPosted: July 4th, 2011, 1:04 pm 
Istari
Istari

In FotR he is seen as not really dangerous person but faithful friend by those who know him but unnecessary evil by those who he didn't let get know him. He is mysterious and that - for those who don't know him - deceives people.

I consider him as wise and interesting person.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 4:18 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

In FotR...he is like good ol' father to all hobbits. They ask him for fireworks and fun. Then the hobbits go on their journey and he starts to be more like pathfinder, a wise man on who you can rely much.

set by skitty

PostPosted: August 21st, 2012, 4:41 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Loki wrote:
In FotR...he is like good ol' father to all hobbits. They ask him for fireworks and fun. Then the hobbits go on their journey and he starts to be more like pathfinder, a wise man on who you can rely much.

Yah, I agree. Of course, Bilbo's party is the first time any of them had seen one of his fireworks displays. :p

PostPosted: May 20th, 2013, 12:13 am 
Elf
Elf

I like FotR Gandalf most. Because he is less "grand" and more "friendly" in the first part. He is attraction for all the hobbits and they see him as old man who brings them fun. Also, I like that he is less powerful in this part. He is more open for kicks and that's what I like.

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2014, 12:41 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I feel like Gandalf is almost a father-figure in the FOTR, especially how everyone looks up to him. I really like how Tolkien makes him seem not quite human, yet more than human. I don't know how to describe it... Does anyone know what I mean?

PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 1:32 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I feel like after Gandalf died the wait of the fellowship fell on Aragorn's shoulders. Although he was good he wasn't aware of everything going on like Gandalf was. I think Gandalf the grey was a guide. He led the fellowship and when he died it started to dissipate.

PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 2:23 pm 
Istari
Istari

Elfqueen4 wrote:
I feel like after Gandalf died the wait of the fellowship fell on Aragorn's shoulders. Although he was good he wasn't aware of everything going on like Gandalf was. I think Gandalf the grey was a guide. He led the fellowship and when he died it started to dissipate.

That is an interesting thought. you have to wonder if he wasn't killed if he could have kept the fellowship from breaking.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 10th, 2014, 3:05 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I believe the fellowship might have lasted longer but I think it was destined to break apart at some point.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2018, 3:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Sauron's one true, and ultimately deadly foe. While personally taking part in the Bettle of Five Armies, Helm's Deep and Pelennor Fields, far more imprtant as the mover and influencer in the background, Mithrandir the Grey Pilgrim, always on the move. Saruman turned to evil (maybe sending an Aulë Maia to oppose another Aulë Maia was never a good idea to begin with), Radagast limited himself to the birds and beasts, the Blue Wizards - unknown, probabl they failed, as going into the (far) east of Middle-earth was also never really a good idea. Elrond and Galadriel, the other two bearers of the Great Elven Rings: they basically stayed in their realms during the Third Age - which of course was vital in providing the Fellowship with safe havens at intervals along their way (as were Tom Bombadil and Faramir). And Théoden and even Denethor, even though the latter was always suspicious of Gandalf, were part of Gandalf's designs. As Gandalf says to Denethor:

"But I will say this: the rule of no realm is mine, neither of Gondor nor any other, great or small. But all worthy things that are in peril as the world now stands, those are my care. And for my part, I shall not wholly fail of my task, though Gondor should perish, if anything passes through this night that can still grow fair or bear fruit and flower again in days to come. For I also am a steward. Did you not know?"