Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tumblr?*
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2013, 3:23 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Guys, I was thinking-what about a tumblr? I've been on tumblr for a few weeks now and it's such an active place!
It might be good to start a tumblr blog to help get A-U more notice. Tumblr is SO easy to use, and lots of users
with literally thousands of followers do blog promotions all the time. All you have to do is follow them and reblog their
"I'll promote you" posts and in return they tell their followers about you.

What do y'all think?

Since I'm on tumblr a lot myself trying to advertise my nail business I could help out with this.

Post subject: Re: Tumblr?*
PostPosted: February 26th, 2013, 7:21 pm 

That's a fantastic idea Synariel! I love the idea of using Tumblr! I love using Tumblr myself and I know quite a few other A-U Members love Tumblr as well!

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 12:28 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Cool! :D So should I start a tumblr for A-U then? If so is there anything in particular you guys want me
put on it?

PostPosted: March 25th, 2013, 3:25 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I think a tumblr page is a good idea.

It is hard to know though, what to add to it.

Because there needs to be some connetion between the tumblr account and the main site. For instance, if you posted breaking news on the tumblr account, it also needs to be on the main site, so there would need to be some working together, so both have the same information.

There are plenty of gallery images that could be uploaded to the tumblr page, but it would need to be fresh, because the images are generally available elsewhere, and the beauty of A-U is that all the images are together. So maybe photosets would be the way to go for example? And we do have some stunning hight quality images that you have to search long and hard to find.

Also there are the graphics, I guess the graphics could be a major part of promoting the site, by showcasing them off to people who maybe do not even visit AU.

I guess at the end of the day, we would want an interesting tumblr page, that promotes AU and encourages people to visit. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 26th, 2013, 11:19 am 

I love the idea of showcasing the graphics on the Tumblr page! That's such a fantastic idea! I think it would be awesome if we had forum members/anyone else affiliated with AU to submit artwork to be shown on the Tumblr page....it would get their artwork recognition and make us look like a friendly place (cause, we are).

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 13th, 2013, 7:49 pm 
Vala
Vala

*Butting in*

I think it's a wonderful idea as well, but I agree with Johnny's Fan that it'd take a lot of work to sort of keep it all together.

And agreeing with Sidawethiel, it would be really awesome if members of AU themselves could upload pictures, for example graphics (like banners and icons) to that tumblr. I'm not keen of the idea of anyone else uploading graphics they didn't make, probably because I make a lot of graphics and want to be able to choose myself what should and shouldn't be displayed someone other than on this site. However, it still sounds like an awesome idea.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: June 30th, 2013, 2:30 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

I've been thinking a lot more about a tumblr page recently.

I mean, I've just been looking at the Hobbit tags on tumblr, and it's incredible the amount of hits some blogs are getting, just by creating gifs of footage from the trailers etc.

I feel like AU may be missing a trick by not having a blog that also runs alongside the website, but the problem here is commitment and having enough people to run it.

I know there are several AU'ers who I am familiar with very well, who also own tumblrs (myself included) but it's a question of a) do people have the time to make a go of it and b) are there enough people for the project?

I just feel in a personal turmoil about all of this. I just wish I had 3 more brains and 8 sets of hands and I'd do it all. I just feel very depressed over the past day or so about the revival. Kind of like "what's the point" which I've not felt once, not in these 2 years.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: June 30th, 2013, 2:37 pm 
Vala
Vala

Johnny's Fan wrote:
I've been thinking a lot more about a tumblr page recently.

I mean, I've just been looking at the Hobbit tags on tumblr, and it's incredible the amount of hits some blogs are getting, just by creating gifs of footage from the trailers etc.

I feel like AU may be missing a trick by not having a blog that also runs alongside the website, but the problem here is commitment and having enough people to run it.

I know there are several AU'ers who I am familiar with very well, who also own tumblrs (myself included) but it's a question of a) do people have the time to make a go of it and b) are there enough people for the project?

I just feel in a personal turmoil about all of this. I just wish I had 3 more brains and 8 sets of hands and I'd do it all. I just feel very depressed over the past day or so about the revival. Kind of like "what's the point" which I've not felt once, not in these 2 years.

I'd be happy to be part of the tumblr team. I have my own Saw Gif tumblr with over 500 followers and some of my gifs have a ridiculous amount of notes. And that's not even a very popular fandom, er, at least compared to something like LotR and the Hobbit. I'd be happy to provide gifs and post whatever news I post to the official site on the tumblr too. I'd also happily help with the brainstorming of what we could feature on the tumblr.

(And as a side note, I've finished three more bios but haven't had the time to read through and edit them yet, heh, so I'll definitely make sure to get that done ASAP and then PRESTO! three more finished bios for the revival! I do understand your "what's the point" despair though. I'm happy to help in any way I can. Yes!)

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: February 13th, 2015, 2:22 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Any help from anyone on tumblr would be appreciated! Thanks to all of you who have offered to help! :)

Even though our forum here seems to be pretty slow, I was checking on tumblr yesterday and gee golly that place is thriving with active Hobbit fans! :blink: :blink: :blink:

What I did was type in the latest Hobbit movie title into tumblr's search bar and then proceeded to message the blogs that
came up in the search. This way I would find active fans. I was kinda of surprised at how many results there were! I didn't
realize there werethat many people who were going as crazy over the Hobbit as we were over LOTR back in the day. But there are a lot of people!

I can message between 10 and 20 blogs a day (depends on how much time I have) and invite to our forum.
If anyone else wants to help with messaging that would be great! :karate: :yes: :yes:

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 2:37 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I would love to help. I have never messed with tumbler before, however... (not before today)

You tell me what to do and I'll get R done! ;)

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 3:06 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Thanks Jax! :-D

In order to help with tumblr you will need to make a tumblr account. :) Start a blog
with a relevant name. Then go to the search bar in the top right corner of the tumblr page
and type in Battle Of The Five Armies. This will bring up posts from the most active
LOTR/Hobbit/Tolkien blogs on tumblr. Re-blog about 20 of these posts. It helps you seem more
like a legit fan when you message people (and not a spammer) if you have something on your blog.

After that, hover over the blog names on the posts and after a couple of seconds a little
white box should ask appear that has "Ask Me Anything" as one of the options. click that
and type a message to the blogger about A-U. :) Invite them to join us here for friendly
Tolkien works discussion.

Message as many people as you can a day. :)

You could also go to YouTube and comment a similar message on the Hobbit/LOTR
related videos. :)

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 3:08 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Gotcha, cool. :) I've actually started doing a little of that on Google+ the past 3 days. Hopefully we can pick up some trafic and get this place moving again!

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 3:19 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Yeah. Thanks for helping. I hope so too! :)

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 3:27 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Anytime. :) I've got to many memories wrapped up in this place just to let it slide without an effort.

It's been a long time since I joined (you too by the looks of it) and there have been a few ups and downs, but as long as it's still going I'd like to try and get it up and on it's feet.

I actually went through the entire member list, checked out websites that were still valid and used them to try and contact any old members that might be interested in coming back... took a while but i figured it can't hurt to ask.

I have no idea how to contact most other members though if they have no website or anything.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 7:18 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I've got about 18 re-blogs (since I have no idea on how to make them myself, or have the computer to support those kind of programs) so far, all Thorin related (obviously). Since I'm more on a prologue to AUJ kick (probably because of my back story, and it's a way to forget about the dreadful scenes of BoFA), I'm mostly looking for blogs that have pictures (or gifs, since there are a lot of those, especially in the imaginexhobbit blog that I follow) of young Thorin (not that I don't reblog ones with older Thorin, but that's beside the point). The only ones I will not reblog is anything death related (since it never happened in my universe, so why would I want to advertise such a dreadful moment). My Tumblr stays positive (and romantic). Here's the link in case anyone wants to check it out, and hasn't looked on the other Tumblr thread (or my profile, since I put a link in there as well):

http://queen-of-erebor-marida.tumblr.com

To reblog any of my posts, you may have to click on the picture first, since only one person has reblogged anything from my Tumblr (probably because they couldn't read all of my comment, since there's only so much space. It took me a while to figure out how to do that). :)

Last edited by Marida on February 24th, 2024, 12:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 14th, 2015, 11:59 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Cool, I'll head over and reblog some of your posts! :)

Just wondering, what do you say in your messages to people when you mention AU and how is a good way to initiate that kind of a conversation without seeming intrusive or spammy?