Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 19th, 2024, 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dwarven Mounts
PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 7:46 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yes, even from his young days as a writer Tolkien thought about how the stories he was inventing came to be available to modern folk in Modern English. Not with The Hobbit so much, as that started as a tale for JRRT's children and only got "drawn into" the larger world at some point. For a long time the "Silmarillion" was imagined as stories told to a mortal who had reached Tol Eressea and had translated the tales into Old English (at one point early on Tol Eressea would actually become England itself)...

... thus a guy named JRR Tolkien could translate the Old English version into Modern English. Later on Bilbo entered the picture with respect to translating the Silmarillion in Rivendell, and the Westron language had entered, and so on, but since all that is far more complicated than this very brief explanation, and especially since it's not the topic, and especially especially as I didn't really explain the problem of Orthanc very well, I'll shut up about it now... although I'll add Carl Hostetter's better explanation of Orthanc:

'Alberto also asked whether orthanc, which in Sindarin means 'Mount Fang', and which is said to mean 'Cunning Mind' in "the language of the Mark of Old", is Old English. Yes, it is, and it does mean 'cunning mind'. However, the implication of Tolkien's statement is that the word has the same form and meaning in actual Rohirric (otherwise, there would be no pun apparent to the characters). A remarkable coincidence, indeed!' Carl Hostetter

Anyway, back to Dwarven mounts I guess.

I don't want to boar anyone with the nomenclature stuff ;-)

PostPosted: March 12th, 2015, 7:52 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I can see that for sure in the Silmarilion. It's a very indepth piece of work and I loved every line of it! It is my favorite out of Tolkien's works to be honest. I think that is one of the best ways to come up with good literature, is to dwell on it and day dream in that world much long before writing the story.

That is certainly an interesting chain of events. lol I don't mind your lengthy explanations at all and you certainly don't bore me. ;)

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 7:11 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Wow, Elthir.

You know your stuff.

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 9:08 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Thanks Mithril Maiden!

My trick is: quoting people like Carl Hostetter (who really knows his stuff) :)

PostPosted: March 24th, 2015, 11:47 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Lol. I can sure quote better than know, but even to quote you have to know something.

It's fun discussion for sure!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 8:44 am 
Ent
Ent

Honestly, I liked the idea of dwarves having goats and pigs as mounts. It made more sense, because of their size. Goats are the logical idea, because they are also battle ready. If a goat headbutts you off your feet, it's going to hurt. Therefore offering the dwarf a few moments to do some damage with his axe to the fallen or stunned foe. Whether Peter Jackson came up with the idea or not, it adds a little flavor to a race that isn't expanded on as much as others.

Of course the race of men were expanded upon in LotR. Elves, very much so--to a point where DoS and BotFA felt like it was more about the elves than the quest. Dwarves, not so much. They are always like fish out of water, with Gimli passing both through the lands of men and elves. Even Thorin and company spend many months out in untamed lands, or other kingdoms. The only time we actually get to see them in their own kingdoms, both have fallen into serious decay, such as Moria and Erebor. We have no clue into their daily lives or anything away from the mining. Even Tolkien did this, by focusing mostly on the elves in his stories.

So yeah, long explaination to say; I like the dwarven mounts shown in BotFA.

Also, if I had to choose a mount, I'll go totally original here. I'd have a pegasus. Not one with obvious wings. They are hidden, until I say a certain code word. Perfect, for if I were surrounded by orcs, then utter the spell word. The wings would sprout, and I would fly away.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 31st, 2015, 10:50 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I agree... I did very much like the goats. And yes, I have goats and they can pack a punch. ;)

I had noticed that but not considered it too deeply. But yes... we never see dwarves in their own culture and day to day lives.... It would be interesting to see. I am not sure how indepth Tolkien even developed that, however.

Pegasus would always be cool too. ;) lol