Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Your LotR A-U username
PostPosted: May 21st, 2013, 11:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

My username is a twist on Legolas, you know Lego-lin?
I used to role-play that he was my brother.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: May 26th, 2013, 11:12 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

legolin12 wrote:
My username is a twist on Legolas, you know Lego-lin?
I used to role-play that he was my brother.

Cool :) I also made a twist of Faramir and Legolas: Legomir.
It means green jewel :D A better meaning than Aralas :lol: But it sounds a bit more boyish, so I didn't use it.
I'm planning to use it on one of my RP characters but when I try to use boy characters I feel a bit awkward.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 15th, 2015, 10:31 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I picked Jax Nova as my name because it is a nick name I have always gone by. It's kind of my alternate personality. :P

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 2:21 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I wanted to make an elvish sounding name out of my real first name
which is "Annalisa," (pronounced "Ah-Nah-Lees-Ah") and my middle
name "Renee," and my last name "Reyes." I just took letters from each
name and sorted them until I came up with something I liked, and "Synariel"
just felt like the one. ^^

It is pronounced "Si-nahr-ee-ehl." The main stress is light, but it's on "nahr."
I usually pronounce the name kind of soft like how Galadriel says her name
in the mirror scene in FOTR, and with a similar tongue roll on the r.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 3:16 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Jax Nova wrote:
I picked Jax Nova as my name because it is a nick name I have always gone by. It's kind of my alternate personality. :P

It`s the same with me and Ibis.
I like it because it`s short.
And it has a beautiful meaning, for the egyptians the ibis represented the god Thoth, god of wisdom, knowledge and writing, and was considered the herald of the flood, so it was a good omen.

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 6:49 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I choose Thenidiël because it is my daugthers name in Elvish. It means "true". I used my own name for a new role play I'm going to join (my name in Dutch means 'girl' en in Elvish it could be Vendë or Vendethiel).

PostPosted: March 4th, 2015, 6:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

That's interesting Synariel, because my real name is Lisa (not a nickname or short form), and I also have a cousin named Lisa, but she has a middle name (Marie), and I don't. Only one of my aunts and me are the only ones without middle names.

My username is my character's name in the Family Tree (and my back story fan fic. You'll find the link in the fan fiction section). It may be an alternate spelling of the heroine from the movie, Brave (which I've never seen, by the way), but it is in fact a female dwarf name, since I found it on a name generator site. I pronounce it MARE-IDA. It's interesting, since on a site that someone posted a link to on Council of Elrond where you can find out what your name would be if you were a Hobbit, Elf, Dwarf, Human or Wizard, someone came up with Marda of Erebor, which is very close to Marida. Coincidence? I think not. ;-)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 7:59 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Thenidiël wrote:
I choose Thenidiël because it is my daugthers name in Elvish. It means "true". I used my own name for a new role play I'm going to join (my name in Dutch means 'girl' en in Elvish it could be Vendë or Vendethiel).

I think I already posted that the form *thenid turned out to be a misreading, as Tolkien's handwriting was sometimes not very easy to read. Maybe you know and don't care, which would be fine of course, but just to note it here for others.

Anyway, while Quenya vende is attested as "maiden", I have a feeling that "Vendethiel" is from the Arwen Undomiel female name list, which list warns readers that some of the names are not necessarily correct; and it looks (to me) like someone has added two female suffixes to a Quenya word here, one of the suffixes being Sindarin.

I suggest avoiding "Vendethiel" for a name. *Vendiel could be considered Quenya (see The Shibboleth of Feanor for the history of -th- with respect to the type of Quenya the Exiled Noldor brought to Middle-earth), although some might read the meaning as "maiden-daughter" given the evidence about -iel.

In any case Vende could be a fine Quenya feminine name in itself, in my opinion.

Also I noticed that you posted English "girl", and Tolkien also made this distinction for Quenya: "nette meant 'girl approaching the adult' (in her 'teens': the growth of Elvish children after birth was little if at all slower than that of the children of Men). The Common Eldarin stem (wen-ed) wendé 'maiden' applied to all stages up to the fully adult (until marriage).' JRRT, from Vinyar Tengwar 47, texts generally dated 1967-70 (although a problem with Quenya nette is that Tolkien might have meant it to mean "sister", but going into the textual confusion here might be too confusing).

So Quenya vende (from earlier wende) is probably a good choice. Sindarin gwen or gwend meant "maiden", which comes from the same stem as Quenya wende/vende (the stem is WEN-ED with a general meaning "girl, virgin, maiden").

Marida, I don't know if this is an actual Dwarf-name, but generally speaking, some name generators are just for fun and suggest rather random stuff based on the letters one types in. A proper Dwarf-name in Tolkien's world would probably be an Old Norse word or name, like Gimli and Gloin for example, or for a female, Dís (Tolkien's only named female Dwarf if I recall correctly). Actual names would be in actual Dwarvish but the Dwarves were very secret about this ("Gimli" was not Gilmi's real name of course).

Anyway, I know much of this seems pedantic but the reason I post it is that naming was very important to Tolkien: he took it seriously and enjoyed it at the same time, so I hope my niggles here are not too annoying (and even more hopefully, I hope my niggles here are correct enough).

That said, again I have no idea what "Marida" might be, and if it might have a Norse connection, and admittedly I only ckecked this site...

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/ONWomensNames.shtml

... nor do I have enough knowledge about Old Norse to even comment on the accuracy of this site!

Although it seems well researched anyway :)

Last edited by Elthir on March 6th, 2015, 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 8:12 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Thank you Elthir, for the explanation. You know a lot about Elvish! I didn't know that thenid was a misreading, but I'm fine with it. I'm already used to this username. But I'm glad to hear that Vende is a proper elvish name. And it is a accurate translation of my own name. :)

PostPosted: March 5th, 2015, 8:30 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Thanks Thenidiel! I am by no means an expert in Elvish although I am very interested in Tolkien's nomenclature. And now to get pedantic about something I just said! Here's some of your own medicine Elthir!

Quote:
I wrote: "Actual names would be in actual Dwarvish but the Dwarves were very secret about this ("Gimli" was not Gilmi's real name of course)."

Well technically Elthir (if that is your real name), we could have two types of actual or "real names" here: a name using Dwarvish elements (still noting the secrecy factor), and the actual "outer names" of the Dwarves! Of course what we have with Gimli, for instance, is an Old Norse translation of an "outer name", so we don't really know the true form and sound of the name Gimli heard people call him...

... as no one back then (in Frodo's time) spoke Old Norse.

Not that I said otherwise but I felt the need to annoy me about this ;-)

Aralas Tulisse wrote:
legolin12 wrote:
My username is a twist on Legolas, you know Lego-lin? I used to role-play that he was my brother.

Cool :) I also made a twist of Faramir and Legolas: Legomir. It means green jewel

A meaning "Green-jewel" is correct given Tolkien's own meaning for Legolas as "Green-leaf", but again to get technical, the derivation of Legolas is: Sindarin laeg + golas "Green, viridis" + "collection of leaves", or "Greenleaves", with leg- being a Silvan pronunciation of Sindarin laeg. So there's a plurality of sorts built in, with go- here "collection".

Also, if we keep the go- element I would say *Laegovir in Sindarin.

Although we have Boromir (Faramir aside for the moment), with -m- not -v- in this position, note that Tolkien explained the name Boromir as a "mixed" form in the Appendices (in the older scenario Boromir was considered a Noldorin name. For its derivation at that time see Etymologies).

PostPosted: March 6th, 2015, 9:26 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Taurquende wrote:
I pronounce my name "Tar-kwen-day," though I think perhaps it's supposed to be something like "Towr-kwen-day." I was looking for a translation of "wood elf" into elvish and got Taurquende, though it was kind of a bogus translation generator and now I think it might actually be a hybrid of Sindarin and Quenya.

But I like it anyway. :)

Since you like it I'm not trying to change your mind or anything, but as I said I'm quite interested in Tolkien's nomenclature and name making in general.

Sindarin taur (for film fans, note Tauriel "Forest-daughter") and Quenya taure are very close, and although the combination -rqu- is found medially between vowels in Quenya, I think the vowel e should remain in this example, noting Tauremorna "black forest" in The Lord of the Rings.

The word quende is a noun for "Elf" but Tolkien explains that it was little-used, and seemingly came into the language as an analogical singular of Quendi. Also noted is quendi "Elvish woman" (not to be confused with Quendi "Elves") and quendu "Elvish man".

That said, in my opinion Quenya speakers might simply use elda, so maybe Quenya *Taurelda "Wood Elf" (compare Tolkien's Tareldar "High Elves"). In the text Quendi And Eldar (in The War of the Jewels) it's noted that the word Eldar properly refers to the non-Avarin Elves only, but since the Eldar rarely had any contact with the Avari, it could be used for "Elves".

In Sindarin I would guess *Tauredhel considering Tolkien's Mornedhel "Dark-elf", although to note it in any case, for a plural word we have attested Tawarwaith "Wood -elves" (Unfinished Tales).

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 1:12 pm 
Ent
Ent

Semi-new name, new explaination. :lol:

Erin is still the same. Lunaire, after much thought I settled for this. For the last seven years, I've often theme named things to do with stars and the moon, becuse I find them completely beautiful. I've always found the night time more peaceful than the day, to the point where my family joke that I'm both nocturnal and a vampire. :lol: I wanted something to do with that. The last year or so, I've been fascinated with languages. I wanted a mix of that.

"Lunaire" is actually the french word for either lunar or moon. Erin is just my forum name, and nothing to do with my real name. Pronounced "Er-in Loon-air." My pronounciation of Lunaire is probably wrong, but well, I can imagine it pronounced anyway I like. XD

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 4:08 pm 
Dwarf at Heart
Dwarf at Heart

Gersemi is an Old Norse name, meaning Jewel/Treasure.

Tolkien used Old Norse for Dwarven names, and Dwarves love jewels and treasure and I thought it was a fitting Dwarven name for a female.

He saw there mirrored bright and fair

♥In a poly relationship with Kili and Tauriel♥

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 1st, 2015, 8:45 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Cool. I've always loved the moon and stars myself Erin.

Yes, I have been learning a bit about how Tolkien used the old Norse some of it is very interesting stuff!

PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 11:49 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I so love the night sky and all the stars. So...I am Starshine :)

PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 12:10 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

:)

They are very captivating. I like the name Starshine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next