Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: What do you like about Bilbo?
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2012, 10:18 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think it woke up when Gandalf invited dwarves into his house but he didn't know just yet!

set by skitty

PostPosted: June 22nd, 2012, 10:40 am 
Istari
Istari

These songs in the dark...feel of something great coming...yes, he wouldn't decide to go with dwarves if he didn't "feel" it.

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2012, 11:47 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I like Bilbo because at first he's totally normal, never goes on adventures, he's just your average hobbit, but throughout the Hobbit, he changes. By the end, he's very strange in the Shire, and passes it on to Frodo.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2012, 3:32 pm 
Elf
Elf

Bilbo is a normal hobbit. He's life is not concerned with any sort of adventure. He leaves his house only to go to the market and then he returns normally. BUT Gandalf comes and breaks the peace. I think that the changing in him is best about Bilbo. At first, he doesn't even think about adventures and then puf, an old wizard comes with thirteen dwarves and they go to Rivendell and head off to the Misty Mountains. That change is huge. In a hobbits life of course.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2012, 1:09 am 
Istari
Istari

Alright, how about this question y'all, are there any little personality quirks you've noticed about the book Bilbo that you hope will make it into the movie Bilbo's personality?

PostPosted: April 29th, 2013, 7:53 am 
Elf
Elf

I haven't seen the movie The Hobbit so I will just base on the book. I love how typical hobbitish Bilbo is at the beginning and actually still is very hobbitish in the end but with addition of self esteem that comes after you did something well. His change is great not because he changed completely but because he turned his weknesess intro strenghts. That's why I like him so much ^^

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: May 4th, 2013, 4:03 am 
Vala
Vala

I like how he's not a hero. How he's not brave or smart or daring. At least not at first. And I think his courage comes from his heart, to help his friends, and to help with this task because he gave his word. I love his loyalty and his honesty.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2016, 3:52 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I love Bilbo's relateability, and I think that's why I find him almost more appealing than Frodo. Frodo's like, "ANGST DEEP EMOTIONAL TURMOIL THATS NOT MY FAULT." and then Bilbo says, "You know what guys? Im hungry. Where's the food?"
I think that's also why I like Merry and Pippin. They're such simple hobbit folk, you know? They don't have a lot of learning. They just simply do what they think is right.

I love Bilbo's simple bravery. He doesn't really know what's going on, he doesnt really want to step out and learn to do adventures, and he doesnt really like the idea of change or getting hurt. Yet he does what's right anyway. As a result, he has tons of useful knowledge to hand down and an awesome tale to tell about it. Go Bilbo!! :)

PostPosted: October 28th, 2016, 7:47 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I agree Healic. Frodo is too.... emotionally distraught and unrelate-able. I find Bilbo much more of an enjoyable character myself. (in the LOTR and the Hobit honestly)

I think Bilbo's over all hesitance to go on such and adventure and yet sticking it through, ultimately because he knew it was the right thing to do. That was my favorite thing about him. To me that is what makes a real hero. Someone who does something heroic not because they are looking for a grand adventure or because they want excitement... but because they know they must. They do it for the greater good.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 1st, 2016, 8:47 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

Not even necessarily for the greater good. They might just do it because they are good people and they know they should.

PostPosted: November 3rd, 2016, 9:03 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

This is true. I guess I Consider doing it because, "It's right" and doing it for the greater good mostly the same thing in a way. After all... If it wasn't for the greater good would it still be the right thing to do? *shrugs* lol but Inget what you are saying, and quite true.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2016, 2:27 am 
Ent
Ent

Um... Frodo literally wore the growing power of Sauron around his neck. The ring was messing with his head. Destorying every part of him, to a point where all he had left was the quest. I'm not surprised he was "unrelateable," to most people. Though, not as unrelatable as you'd think, considering his emotional plight is kinda like what struggling with mental illness is like. Anyway, I'm getting off topic.

What I liked most about Bilbo, is absolutely his loyalty. Also the fact that he is very much a hobbit set in his ways, to a point where he practically had a break down, with the chaos the dwarves created in his neat and proper and everything its place hobbit hole. He is ripped right out of his comfort zone, thrown right into the deep end. Along the way, he makes friends for life in the dwarves. Even after most of the company dies, I believe they remain friends to him always, and he remembers them right to his last moment in life.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 6th, 2016, 4:51 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

This is true, Erin. Believe me I try to keep that in mind about Frodo. I just never could like his character as much as some and honestly I liked him more before I watched the movies. I feel the book character is much more likable yet I have a hard time not letting the movie actor influence my overall opinion of the character.

The point about the dwarves being his friends is a good one. That would be quite something for a hobbit I suppose. :)

PostPosted: April 28th, 2017, 5:39 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

How's this for a speculative idea: for Bilbo in The Hobbit, we have Sam and Frodo in LoTR. Sam being much closer to Bilbo in the beginning of TH, though still below him as far as social status and education is concerned. Frodo close to Bilbo when the latter left the Shire after his 111th birthday, with the obvious difference of not yet having met Gollum. When Frodo does meet Gollum, and he stays in contact with Gollum for a massively longer time than Bilbo did, he has a Bilbo-like pity for Gollum in not killing him at the first meeting, but then later reaches a far deeper understanding of Gollum's torment than Bilbo had the slightest chance to. But both Bilbo's and Frodo's pity are necessary to allow Gollum to be at the Cracks of Doom and be the actual, if inadvertent (or not?) destroyer of the One Ring,
Sam perhaps does not reach Bilbo of the 111th birthday (his experience with the One Ring is much too short, for one thing), but Sam the sevenfold Mayor certainly surpasses Bilbo of the beginning of The Hobbit. And then the double inheritance, Bag End from Bilbo to Frodo to (with a short interlude) Sam, also the Red Book (which it was to become, anyway). And for a very short time, even the One Ring.

Sam, experiencing (with Frodo) much more harrowing "adventures" than Bilbo did, but in some ways staying more of a Shire Hobbit than Bilbo was in the end, Bilbo (almost) ending up at Rivendell. Frodo, starting almost at Bilbo's level at the latter's 111th birthday party, experiencing (with Sam) much more harrowing "adventures" than Bilbo, and going beyond Bilbo's learned wisdom that the latter gained by reading lore in Rivendell. Bilbo had about 20 years at Rivendell. Frodo about two in Hobbiton, before both left Middle-earth for Elvenhome, at least. (And as per an appendix, Sam finally followed them even in this journey).

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 1:31 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I also like how Bilbo's job is basically to just save the dwarves' bacon every five seconds. Bilbo is to Thorin as Sam is to Frodo. Except I think Frodo is better than Thorin in almost every way.

PostPosted: December 11th, 2017, 2:47 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Meh! On closer inspection, that comparison breaks down all too quickly in my opinion.

With the Trolls and the Orcs, it is actually Gandalf who rescues the Dwarves. From the spiders and the Elves, yes, it is Bilbo – after he got hold of the ring. But after they reach Erebor, Bilbo does fade into the background of activity a bit, except for offering the Arkenstone to the Elven king (Thranduil) and Bard as a ransom in negotiations.

Thorin had no knowledge about Bilbo prior to “The Unexpected Party”, and little for a long time afterwards. Sam had known Frodo (in whatever way) for decades when they set out. And Thorin is a royal Dwarf with a burning thirst for revenge, something no one would ever associate with Frodo at any time (the One Ring’s effects on him were entirely different).

While Bilbo’s “effectiveness” for the Dwarves fades once they have reached Erebor (or at least after Smaug has left it to get himself killed over Esgaroth), as of Cirith Ungol Sam becomes vital for the success of the quest (only the very last act, the destruction of the One Ring, hinges on Gollum). Getting Frodo and the One Ring from Cirith Ungol to the Sammath Naur (all of Mordor being the equivalent of Erebor, in a sense – think of the title of the HoME volume 10 “Morgoth’s Ring”, which was all of Arda and not just some “trinket”) hinged entirely on Sam, while before Cirith Ungol Sam would have been for Gollum’s being killed without Frodo’s restraint (and restraint is not a word I could associate with Thorin!). When Bilbo was important in his quest and when Sam was in his are mirror images (early, late).

And last, Bilbo spent the 59 years after returning from his quest up to the “Long-expected Party” as a bachelor, a somewhat “strange uncle” (destined to become the “Mad Baggins” of later confused ages), while Sam was elected to 49 years of being Mayor of Michel Delving, raising 13 children together with his wife Rose née Cotton.