Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please Read & Introduce Yourself!
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 5:22 pm 
Istari
Istari

Congratulations on the new baby Fortuna!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 7:17 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Fortuna wrote:
Good evening everyone!
I am Fortuna, currently living in Hungary. I love the kind atmosphere surrounding the Tolkien fan-base, my favourite book is The Silmarillion, and I do believe that forum games are a great way to spend my time online.
P.S.: I love the site's design. Great work!

Glad to meet you and look forward to seeing you around the forum! :D

That newborn is sure to be a new adventure all it's own. Enjoy it while it lasts, as hard as it may be in some moments. ;)

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 9:08 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Aiya, I'm Findë, pronounced Feen-day. It means "cunning" in Quenya, but I'm far from cunning. Yeah, my parents have a sense of humor... :p

I'm a writer, photographer, jewelry and wine charm maker and, to stay out of trouble (sometimes it works...), I volunteer in Elrond's our local Library processing library discards for sale at the Amazon outlet in Rivendell.

I used to be involved in a lot of RPing and hope to eventually return to that kind of writing, especially live RPing.

There's a lot to see on the site. It looks inviting. :D

Oh, and congratulations on the new baby, Fortuna!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 11:08 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Welcome, Finde! Have a delightful time on the site!

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 11:56 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Welcome here Findë, and thank you for the congratulations!

You know, one of the first things I will show him when he will be a bit older, is the Tolkien lore. I genuinely believe it will help him navigate through life's adventures.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 3:12 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Mae Govannen Findë! It is a joy to meet you! :) I am only recently new here myself.
I have only recently started to RP here. They (Melanie, Durian, & Jax) tell me I'm doing well!
I do hope you enjoy it here, and I hope to see you around.
I'm a bit erratic on my attendance here as I work full time and another part time job. I hope to he dropping the part time job to one day so may be able to get on more.
Again, Welcome!

:wave:

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 4:27 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Findë wrote:
Aiya, I'm Findë, pronounced Feen-day. It means "cunning" in Quenya, but I'm far from cunning. Yeah, my parents have a sense of humor... :p

I'm a writer, photographer, jewelry and wine charm maker and, to stay out of trouble (sometimes it works...), I volunteer in Elrond's our local Library processing library discards for sale at the Amazon outlet in Rivendell.

I used to be involved in a lot of RPing and hope to eventually return to that kind of writing, especially live RPing.

There's a lot to see on the site. It looks inviting. :D

Oh, and congratulations on the new baby, Fortuna!

Mae govannen Findë! Welcome to this fine site! We seem to have a bit of a revival here in the RP forums with a few of us writing in an creative and interactive way. Hoping you decide to join in on one or start your own!

Like most Tolkien sites, the traffic fell off after the last Hobbit movie, but it seems maybe the more dedicated fans are either still coming here still, or others are joining! Hoping this site stays active and functioning!

I have to ask... what is a wine charm? (I suppose I could google it, but it's more fun to ask). And I started to get into photography when I got a Nikon 3200, but it crapped out after a couple years. Miss the old 35mm cameras. I had one that was built in Germany in 1948 and was still working in 2003!I suppose I should invest in a better Nikon since I have heaps of lenses for them.

And a shout out for Fortuna! It is always good to see you here posting! Thanks much for all you bring us!

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 5:10 am 
Elf
Elf

Welcome to the forum, Findë. c:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 8:26 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Findë, I have to ask: Is that Lara Flynn Boyle on your avatar?

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 10:45 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Wow! What a wonderful welcome! I feel so warmly hugged! :hug: Thank you all!

Fortuna, I am proof that reading Tolkien in my teen years definitely helped me navigate through life’s adventures. It taught me that love, in all of its various forms, works!

Durían, at a party, or any kind of celebration where there are more than a few people, a wine charm helps you remember which glass is yours. That is, IF, after a few drinks, you remember which wine charm you picked... :P My ex-sis-in-law’s Mom (who turned 90 last October!) and her friends are making them and selling them in some winery’s in Napa. I’m hoping to add mine to the mix.

I tried to post pictures using [ img][/ img] (without the spaces of course), but it gave me an error message that says: “It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image.” I even followed the rules for posting photos. So I’ve made them attachments and hope that works.

Attachment:
Wine Charms on glass for A-U 1.jpg

Attachment:
Charms for A-U.jpg

Attachment:
Charms for A-U 3.jpg

Fortuna, no, it’s not Lara. Actually, this woman was in a Dove soap ad MANY years ago when I was writing my novel. :blush: I always like to find photos or drawings of what I think my characters would look like. This was from a magazine because at the time we didn’t have internet where now there are so many possibilities. So I scanned it. Yeah, we did have scanners way back then. :P

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 8:48 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Welcome to the forum Finde! It's a pleasure to meet you and it sounds like you are a rather creative person. :)

Rp is great fun, I look forward to seeing you find a good RP when you are ready to jump back in. Hope you are enjoying the forum! :D

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:47 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Thank you for the welcome, Jax! I can't draw worth a darn -- the images I see or imagine just do not make it to my fingers... But, I can put things together and make them look nice or see something I think would look good in a photo and a lot of the times, it does.

I figured out what was wrong with my photo posting. :D It turns out that when I copy the url from postimg.org, it puts an "S" after HTTP. No idea why but this site won't accept that "S". So, I removed them and :o it worked! :D

One of the photos from my other post.

These are my bead boxes. A friend gave me the three box starter kit and I've added to it over the years. My husband gave me an old Dremel box into which fit the three bead boxes, my tools and extra storage.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 12:50 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Welcome Finde... is this your real name [as seems suggested in an earlier post]?

When I saw it I thought "hair", especially when I saw your avatar picture [which I now know isn't you though]. Your parents probably know, but Quenya finde also means "hair", as there are two roots in play, one being SPIN- "fine thread, filament", and the other being the root PHIN- "skillful, neat, clever". For examples of the hair element, we have Quenya finde, findele "tress, lock", noting Laurefindele Sindarized as Glorfindel "Golden haired"

The two roots allowed Tolkien to change his mind about the name Finwe, for example, which he said (even after The Lord of the Rings was published) meant "man of manual skill", but in a later text he noted that the first element in Finwe was often later explained by the Common Eldarin PHIN "hair" [why it's not SPIN here, I can't say] "as in Quenya fine "a hair", finde "hair, especially of the head"... ... though then [same text] JRRT adds that this explanation seems doubtful, as all the Eldar had beautiful hair, and that "... there is no reference to Finwe as having had hair of exceptional length, abundance, or beauty beyond the measure of his people." JRRT, The Shibboleth of Feanor, The Peoples of Middle-earth

So Tolkien, in this late text, appears to leave the etymology of Finwe up in the air, playing his role of translator rather than author. Another name once associated with "cunning skill, magic" was Fingolfin for example, but in a late text Fingolfin became a Sindarization of the Quenya name Finwe Nolofinwe, which, if I write it this way, might help: Finwe N[g]olofinwe.

Actually, given the texts I've looked at, I'm not sure the exact form finde "cunning" survived from Qenya [an early form of the language that Tolkien imagined as a young man] into Quenya as it was imagined in the 1950s and later ["later" meaning after The Lord of the Rings was published]. The text known as Words Phrases And Passages [or WPP, a post-Lord of the Rings text] notes two forms finca "clever (in petty ways)" and finya "clever", but not finde specifically, as clever or cunning...

... but the good news is, also in WPP we still have attested finda "fine and delicately made" from the root PHIN "skillful, neat, clever", which itself is still in play as a root...

... and so, if finda were altered to a female name, its form could be Finde! [as -e can be a feminine suffix itself, displacing final -a here]. So your name still works out in the same semantic bowl as "cunning", in the sense of "skillful, clever", even if early Qenya finde "cunning" became obsolete in the much later linguistic scenario (it's certainly attested in early texts, in any case)

I know, it seemed like a lot of work to get full circle here... but for myself, I had fun doing it. And your name can still have a double meaning too, which is neat I think.

By the way... I'm interested in names :-D

Last edited by Elthir on March 30th, 2017, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 12:57 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Welcome to the forum, Findë! I've noticed that you like games as well as RPs (I personally wouldn't know about the latter). And I suppose the warning not to ask Elthir any questions unless you're ready for a L O O O O O N G answer has become redundant ... :)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 1:01 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Heheh, but nobody needs to ask...

... I have to find my fun where I can :)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Elthir wrote:
Heheh, but nobody needs to ask...

... I have to find my fun where I can :)

And not just on this JRRT site! :-D

I may have the same books that you do, I'm certainly at a disadvantage as to Internet resources on the topic (too much of a skeptical curmudgeon for that), but I won't even try to match your quotes using the books I do own before crossing the threshold to early retirement - just about four weeks away. :duel:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83 ... 86  Next