PostPosted: March 17th, 2017, 4:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

FINALLY.................this is a portrait of Peter Gabriel

Post subject: Re: Photo files too large
PostPosted: March 17th, 2017, 8:26 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Awesome! Glad you got the photo displaying worked out! :)

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 9:22 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Beautiful photos! And thank you for these instructions. Had to mess with the avatar pic to get it to fit.

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 9:38 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Deumeawyn wrote:
Had to mess with the avatar pic to get it to fit.

Deumeawyn, same here. LOVE your avatar!

PostPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 7:03 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Welcome to the site Deumeawyn and lovely avatar.

PostPosted: March 23rd, 2017, 3:18 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

SilverleafArtist wrote:
Deumeawyn wrote:
Had to mess with the avatar pic to get it to fit.

Deumeawyn, same here. LOVE your avatar!

Aw, thank you! I was messing around with a half a dozen different photos trying to get the dimensions right at 125x125 and still have it under 29kb. So many would be something like 30.2 or 29.8 or something so close.

Evil.Shieldmaiden wrote:
Welcome to the site Deumeawyn and lovely avatar.

Thank you! My off time is a bit erratic but I hope to try and stop in at least for a few minutes every day. Can't get enough Tolkien! :)

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 9:16 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Looks like some pretty neat crafts SilverLeaf! Also very well done on the drawing! I have tried drawing before and faces are especially hard!

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:11 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax, thank you so much. My first degree attempt was in Graphic Arts - way, way before there was such a thing as photoshop. We did everything by hand, and it was almost like drafting or architecture. :confused2: THEN, it was Fine Arts. THEN..........it was ceramic technology. So, I took formal credited classes for all of that stuff.

Drawing is demanding - it requires focus and associating lines with space, if that makes sense. Where one line intersects with another, and where that intersection is in relation to other key features of light/dark. Until ceramic technology, Drawing was "the most" demanding discipline.

So, it just takes practice and mindfulness of where light and dark is in relation to line and features. SKETCHING is not the same as drawing - sketching is a very, very good place to start because it's spontaneous (sort of) and very fast. Therefore, one doesn't have the time to devote to over-thinking the subject, at hand.

Okay............holy moley, I went into teaching-mode. LOLOLOL

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:24 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Wow, that's a lot of creative education you have got then! That's neat. :)

Hehe, that's all good. I could use more teaching than I would like to admit most days. :P I guess, by that, most of mine were sketches. I did, on some, spend a lot more time on them and try to get the shading in and all that. I just rarely could do any good at those attempts unless I "Felt inspired" for some reason. I couldn't do it any time I wanted to.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:32 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax, (snort) LOL!!! I really get enthusiastic (overly so) about sharing information about my areas of study. I'm always delighted to learn something new and pass it on.

Yes, sketches are good for perspective, etc. We had to use timers and the professor would have the models switch their poses every 20 seconds to warm us up. It was quite involved.

I am soooooooo excited to see how the tiles came out. I need to contemplate something for behind a stove - I was actually thinking about either Rivendell or Lothlorien in a type of "mural" thingy. Not as huge as a mural, but each tile would be part of a whole image (if that makes sense, I'll be grateful). I just need to sit with the idea for a while.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:45 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Hey, it's always good to talk about things we enjoy! Though I am not as artistic as I like I have always liked arts. I guess my artistic-ness went mostly into my writing and music, but I grew up around drawing, painting, ceramics, and all that fun stuff.

Oh goodness... every 20 seconds?! O_o lol I would not have anything eve recognizable on the paper in 20 seconds!

Yes, indeed! The tiles sound really neat as well as your idea for behind the stove. Also, yes, that makes perfect sense. :D

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:50 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax, my favorite type of students are the ones that claim that they aren't artistic or creative, to any measure. THOSE are the people that come up with the thirst to absorb the information, ride the artistic dragon, and let go of all previous expectations. It actually causes goosebumps to appear when I remember some of these astounding people. They taught me more than I could ever have taught them.........

And, I will say this: there is far, far more to writing than putting words together. To be a true bard - a story-teller - one must dig deep into their own souls. That's no easy task, at all.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:57 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Well, I guess it makes sense that those would be the ones to think outside the box. My sister was like that I think... she could draw ten times better than me. Especially horses. Still, she was always saying she stunk at drawing. *shrugs*

Well, I always did wish a "Bard" was still a doable profession. I always loved the idea! :D It's true, though... whether people see it or not you do put a lot of yourself and your soul into the writing and stories. Much of mine is cleverly hidden or disguised (So I would like to think. :P ) but it's certainly there.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 11:02 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax, in my mind, we need to be diligent in maintaining the ability to actually tell a story. Today, "entertainment" is spoon-fed in most aspects and very little is given to imagination. Building a vision in my own mind's eye is something that story-telling does.

SO...yes. Story-telling is a fine craft and an art. (nodding) We desperately need bards to take us to different places......

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 11:07 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I would agree... I am not too impressed with modern entertainment. I have always enjoyed the fact that I can imagine almost anything in my mind and see it as clearly as if I were watching a movie... then I don't HAVE to watch movies. lol (though I do on occasion)

Well, I certainly would love a job like that. It's that pesky bit of... if you have a job you don't have time for much else... but if you do much else you can't pay the bills. I always tell people that the one way to make a small fortune as a poet is to start with a large fortune! lol If, one day, i were to find somewhere I could literally be a bard and do it for a living... that would be like a dream come true. lol

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 11:20 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax, yep - making a living as a story-teller is one heck of a challenge in this day and age. Today, people aren't patient enough to sit and listen, much less to sit and READ. Everything in contemporary entertainment is either a ripoff of something, a remake of something, or a *beep* of something. We're quickly losing our ability (as a species) to stretch the edges of our imaginative envelopes.

Oh, well.............