All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Theoden
PostPosted: September 12th, 2009, 10:20 pm 

Favorite quotes? Like? Dislike?

Post subject: Re: Theoden
PostPosted: July 14th, 2011, 1:11 am 
Istari
Istari

He was definitely bad adviced and power of Saruman hel him but he was good king while revived. I think that Grima must be a very good plotter because what I observed, Theoden had strong will and bravery in heart.

I am really sorry for him though, because he sit much time in dust...

I rather like him but without screams. He is just good character.

PostPosted: July 11th, 2012, 5:39 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I alwats felt bad for Theoden, because hewas used by Grima for so long. I wasall happy when he became again powerful and right king. I really like reading about him and the change that appeared in him when Grima was wiped.

set by skitty

PostPosted: February 25th, 2013, 7:37 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Theoden is my favorite character and the only person in the movies who wasn't completely demolished by his actor, everyone else had something wrong, whether it was there acting or something else.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2013, 7:02 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Sarumann used Grima to gain the ear of King Theoden. Grima, a cunning sort that Sarumann saw as a valuable tool to use to undermine Rohan, was likely enhanced in his power of persuasion by Sarumann and kept King Theoden entangled in his council. With the news that got to King Theoden filtered through his counsel, he became seriously depressed and therefore, it appeared he aged beyond his years. It took Gandalf to break this hold Grima had over Theoden.

I utterly reject PJ's total possession spell by Sarumann presented in his vision of the story that is the movies.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 5th, 2014, 4:53 pm 
Elf
Elf

I like Theoden 'cause he's always so polite to Merry or Pippin. He's much nicer than any other king in Middle-Earth (except Aragorn, of course :p). And he's not afraid to die, like Denethor. I know Denethor isn't a king but I count him as one.. And Theoden cares about Rohan, I mean, really cares.

"They bring fire, said Theoden, and they are burning as the come, rick, cot, and tree. This was a rich vale and had many homesteads. Alas for my people!

When he died in the field of Pelennor, I cried so much, 'cause he was so good character.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 10th, 2014, 9:31 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

He definitely was a King of the people. One of my favourite book characters!

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 11th, 2014, 11:52 am 
Elf
Elf

^^ Mine too.. Why all of my fav characters are those who die? Well.. not all.. 'cause Legolas doesn't die.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 12th, 2014, 1:40 am 
Istari
Istari

When I first saw the movies, I was younger and so my impression of him was "geeze, grouchy old idiot...yelling at Aragorn..." :lol: (must admit, my mind was on one character :p ) Now my impression of him is that he's a strong character, even with his flaws, and was a good leader for his people. He may have some issues judging the character of some people though! (Grima) :lol: But I definitely like him more now, and respect the character. He went to battle on the Fields, knowing full well he probably wouldn't come out of it alive, but he had just broken free of one evil hold and he'd be darned if he'd let another evil rule over him again! Needless to say, I dont think he's a grouchy old fart anymore :lol:

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2016, 9:05 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Tinker Bell wrote:
He may have some issues judging the character of some people though! (Grima) :lol:

Yes, but it was probably hard to judge the character of someone who had spell-enhanced charisma about him.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 2:04 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I think of Theoden as a king who cares for his people, who unfortunately picked the wrong advisor and was led to think that all was lost forever. He was also just a nice elderly man. I like merrys take on it: "So that's the king of Rohan, eh? I like him. Very polite."

PostPosted: July 15th, 2017, 6:18 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

One thing puzzles me. In Foster, the entry on Théoden is rather short. In Tyler, it is rather longer. Théoden lost his wife Elfhild in childbed when she had given birth to his only child, his son and heir Théodred, in 2978 TA. Then his youngest and most beloved sister Théodwyn, mother of Éomer (b. 2991) and Éowyn (b. 2995), died just after the year 3000 (when Théodred was 22). When Théodred was killed in the first Battle of the Fords of Isen, he was (nearly) forty. Unfortunately there are no specific dates as to when Gríma was counselor to Théoden – Tyler states “… during the years immediately before the War of the Ring …” (whatever his source). For me, “immediately before” absolutely cannot mean ten years before (3008), at which time Théodred was 30. Even five years before is a bit of a stretch, so at the very least Théodred must have been 35, probably older, when Gríma became counselor. Théoden himself had become king at 32, in 2980. So how in the world could Gríma have gotten past the crown prince Théodred to influence Théoden so negatively? My feeling is that had Théoden felt unfit to continue his rule, he would have yielded the throne to his son before he would have listened to anyone else from Rohan. Or at the very least no one could have stopped Théodred from removing Gríma from his position. Gríma might have found supporters who would back him against Éomer and make it stick, but any opposition of that kind against Théodred would probably have swiftly led to the bloody demise of Gríma and his supporters at the hands of Théodred’s far larger group of supporters. Probably a loose end JRRT didn’t really notice, because in the story Théodred was such a marginal character?

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 3:19 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

Grima was sent by Saruman. In all likelihood, it was probably Saruman's voice that got him into the king's council. Once he was firmly established in the king's eyes as a good councilor, there was nothing (except Gandalf) that could get him banished.

PostPosted: August 24th, 2017, 5:41 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Héalic wrote:
Grima was sent by Saruman. In all likelihood, it was probably Saruman's voice that got him into the king's council. Once he was firmly established in the king's eyes as a good councilor, there was nothing (except Gandalf) that could get him banished.

I disagree very much! Before Théoden's son Théodred was killed in the first battle of the Fords of Isen, Gríma would not have had the slightest chance of influencing Théoden. Gríma would not only have had Théodred opposing him, but also Éomer and Éowyn (who even in Gríma’s time was very important to the - at the time – erm – dement Théoden). Yes, Saruman sent Gríma, but before Saruman dealt Théoden the massive blow of killing the latter’s son (and incurring horrific casualties in the process – like the three scum of the 20th century from Germany, the Soviet Union and Red China), Gríma would have had little effect.

PostPosted: September 19th, 2022, 1:59 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Nice post! Thanks for sharing this quality information with us. I really enjoyed reading. check this and visit this site to know more www.okbetsports.ph