Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 9:42 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hilferin thought a moment as they held their own. A wager she wanted. A wager she will get. Glancing over at the far side of the common room, he eyed momentarily the two unsavoury men that sat over by the hall. Hilferin said,

”I can smell a bit of a scrape coming. If I win, you have my back. What do you ask if you win?”

They tensed as they went on wrestling…

~

Durian listened to Mariel, and he nodded. He said,

”I remember…we are partners. I was supposed to watch for you, and I failed you. I am sorry.”

He tried to stand, and as he gained his feet, he got dizzy and ended up sitting back down.

”I don’t think I would be very good in a fight. We will have to outsmart him. Here Mariel, take my knife. If he comes through that door, you get up like you are happy to see him which will confuse him, and as you go to hug him, you bury the knife into his chest.”

Durian held her eyes as he spoke, and as she looked at the knife in his hand, he gently ran the finger of his other hand down her cheek to her shoulder as her eyes shifted to the knife in his hand. Durian said as his head pounded,

”You are strong Mariel, conquer your fear! I believe in you!”

~

Fahalas sat and downed his ale. He looked over at Caila and Caira arguing, and he silently stood up and slipped down to the first door. He could hear a man talking low but couldn’t make out what was being said, or was he sure Mariel was in there. He stood ready to burst in if he heard her voice.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 8:09 pm 
Elf
Elf

Well, if there was a brawl to be had then what more could she wish for, Freja wondered as her strength strove with Hilferin's.

The answer came in a flash that made her grin ruthlessly, "My dagger."

"I bought that dagger!"
Hilferin objected, his voice strained by the contest under way.

"That is why it is a wager," Freja replied and shifted in her seat to take in the two men he had indicated to discover one was a Dunlending!

Hilferin let out a jubilant cry of victory as she gave off the contest but then he objected, "You gave up!"

Freja gave no response, massaging blood back into her hand as she glared at the Dunlending. Who was letting Dunlendings in here, she wondered and what would be next, Easterlings?!

'You won," she eventually said and threw him a swift look, "Which is more than the last Ranger could say, so consider yourself fortunate."

"You mean Berendil?"

Freja nodded and returned her attention to the Dunlending, "And so now I've got your back. Or, more to the point, I'll split the two with you evenly. One a-piece."

"I take it you want the Dunlending?"

"Oh yes,"
Freja growled, "Very much so!"

But just as she said that one of the men stood and left the common room.

'You've gone and scared him off," Hilferin observed, "So it looks like we'll have to share."

Freja's lips twitched with inappropriate laughter and she whispered, "That's what she said."

Hilferin's eyes widened at the implications but then he broke into an inappropriate grin that widened her own, "I like you, Ranger. I think I'll keep you as my pet."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Rin crept down the hall, silent and small as a mouse. She knew which boards would creak and she was reasonably sure which rooms had people in them. Why, she'd inspected them all in her search for valuables earlier that day. But which one belonged to the Shieldmaiden she was not sure of at all. Clutching the pouch of coins she'd wrestled from her brother, the small girl stealthily slid along the hall trying to return it. She was a wisp of a thing and so it was not overly hard to remain quiet at all but as she rounded the corner she realised she no longer had the hall to herself. A man, the sort of man who looked mean to her, stood waiting at a door.

He just stood there, scowling at it and Rin debated what to do. Run, of course, for men like these had killed her parents. But then, what about the people in that room? What if he hurt them? Her fists screwed up as she debated and then the girl made a decision. She could do both.

"THERE'S A MEAN MAN IN THE HALL," Rin bellowed with all her strength at which the fellow in question swore as his eyes snapped to her.

This was Rin's cue to run and so she set off, fast as a startled rabbit, before the man could catch her.

PostPosted: November 25th, 2017, 11:09 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel furrowed her brows as she stared at the dagger in Durian's hand; as she lifted her eyes to meet his, she shook her head and pushed the dagger back towards him.
"I...I will not murder him, Durian. Although I dislike him and I have no trust in him, I am not in the mindset of...hurting him....he is my husband after all."
Her expression softened as she noticed his slightly pained expression, then she lifted her hand and gently caressed his cheek.
"If he dies, that will not make the debt he owed go away--and if the man catches me...? Well, let's just say that he deems both of us responsible."

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 7:54 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kayden nodded, glad to not have an argument or disagreement over the issue. "Then," he continued. "Perhaps once I am on the mend, I could ask your company at a proper dinner."

He looked up to Lyiana again, reminding himself why he was making such a rash and foolish decision. Her beauty and kindness made it all clear in his mind again, however.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 8:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

Lyiana blushed and glanced down at the ground to try and compose herself; once she did, her eyes flicked back up into his and she smiled.
"Aye, sir....I'm sure you'd find my answer quite the same as if you were asking me now."
Her smile brightened and a spark gleamed in her eye at the thought of being courted...properly, this time.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 9:39 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kayden smiled, a soft smile that seemed weary. "I am glad to hear it. Believe me I am tempted to ask you this very day... but I fear I'm not good company. If I didn't bleed on the meal I would probably fall asleep on you. Perhaps the bedroll first, and when morning comes we can see how the day is treating us both."

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 10:11 pm 
Ent
Ent

Lyiana smiled and held back the laughter that formed from his joke, for it was not appropriate...he could indeed bleed out, and that was no laughing matter. Once she had regained her composure, she dipped her head and gave a small curtsy.
"Aye, that sounds reasonable....but, for now, I need to find you a bedroll. If I'm correct in assuming, there should be a few bedrolls in this closet here...."
She forced herself to break away from him so that she could tend to fully tend to her responsibilities towards him. When she opened the closet door, she found exactly what she was looking for, so she pulled one out and walked back over to him then laid the bedroll out on the floor and went back to the closet for a few blankets and a pillow.
Once everything was in it's place, she stepped beside him and blushed fiercely as she helped him stand up and lay down on the roll.

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 10:18 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kayden accepted Lyiana's help not only due to his feelings towards her, but it was quite the comfort to his bones and muscles to have aid in movement. Once he was laying down he wiggled about a bit, trying to get comfortable. It didn't seem to help, but he looked up to Lyiana none the less with his thanks.

"I will look forward to seeing you later, then," he told her. "Just... if you come in and I am sleeping wake me carefully." Kayden paused for a moment, then added, "And if I seem troubled in my sleep, it's probably best to leave me be. My past haunts my dreams... I'm always fighting." His eyes slid closed, he couldn't bare to look Lyiana in the eye, thinking about his deeds. "Perhaps, though, I will feel safe enough here not to be troubled."

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 10:46 pm 
Ent
Ent

Lyiana looked at Kayden with sorrow in her heart, for she felt compelled to help him through whatever hold his past had on him. And while she couldn't exactly understand what he had gone through, she felt somehow connected to him...
"If you wish, Kayden, I can stay here with you and watch over you."

PostPosted: November 26th, 2017, 11:22 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

”You wouldn’t be murdering him, you will be defending yourself. And then we would only have to worry about this other man.”

Durian said as he stood again. He sucked in his breath as he looked at the door. He looked at Mariel’s face and said,

”Mariel, maybe you still have feelings for him….”

Durian heard something outside the door, like a child calling out. He stepped toward the door, ready with his knife.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 1:10 am 
Ent
Ent

"Durian, you don't under-"
Her thought was interrupted by the sound of a child crying just outside their door. She quickly crossed over to Durian and placed her hand on his and carefully pried the knife off of him. When she looked at him, her eyes burned with intensity, but if he looked deep enough, he would be able to find doubt.
What if he was right? Maybe she did hold onto her past feelings for her husband.
She gripped the handle of the knife and took a deep breath before putting her hand on the doorknob and twisting slowly.
She hoped she could prove Durian wrong, or was she trying to prove herself wrong?

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 6:14 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hilferin looked over at the one remaining Dunlanding at the table then back to Freja.

”I don’t think the other one went vary far. Shall we refill our mugs and get another and go have a seat with this Dunlanding, or are you just intent on killing him outright?”

Hilferin looked over to Caila but she was in what seemed a deep, simmering discussion with her twin sister and was not going to pay him any mind, so he reached over the bar and grabbed an empty mug. He looked at Freja who was intently staring at the Dunlanding.

”What do you say? Do we have a word with our southern… or I guess to you, northern, friend?”

Hilferin tapped a fresh ale, and topped off his own and looked to Freja who was intently sipping at hers.

~ ~ ~

Durian was surprised that Mariel decided to take his blade. He stepped back slightly as he knew someone was on the other side of the door. As Mariel reached for the door he readied himself….

Fahalas looked suddenly down the hall to a kid yelling, and he looked quickly to the common room before kicking in the door…

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 8:27 am 
Ent
Ent

Mariel turned the doorknob, when suddenly, the door flew open, narrowly missing her face before she stepped back in a panic. As she retreated, she bumped into Durian, and immediately hid her knife behind her back as her husband stormed in. She could see a fire in his eyes, and for a brief moment, her heart caught in her throat.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 4:51 pm 
Elf
Elf

Conversation with a Dunlending? Freja had little she needed to say to that man and less still she wanted to hear from him. Still, Hilferin seemed intent and so she nodded.

"We're not sharing our ale with him," she said by way of provisio as Hilferin returned and with that agreed, the two approached the Dunlending.

He had looked perturbed before, however when he noted Hilferin advancing he became noticeably nervous. Freja hung back slightly as she prowled along at Hilferin's back and stepped out at the last minute with a cold smile. The Dunlending knew her for what she was immediately. His nostrils flared, pupils dilated and sweat beaded his brow almost immediately.

"I don't want no trouble," he began starting to rise from his chair and Freja swooped.

She kicked him back into his and then shoved chair and man against the wall. He went for his weapons immediately but Hilferin just shook his head mildly.

"I wouldn't, were I you," and then he turned to Freja who studying the Dunlending the way a hawk might a mouse, "He doesn't want trouble."

With one foot resting on the man's chest, Freja lifted her tankard to her mouth and drank, "They never do, Ranger. They never do."

"Honest!"
the Dunlending said, looking to Hilferin for aid.

"Honest," Freja repeated, contemptuous, her foot remaining exactly where it was against the squirming Dunlender.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Still clutching the hide pouch, Rin ran as hard as she could back the way she came only to find her older brother Loch at the back door. His expression was thunderous, given she'd just bested him in their stable tussle and taken his pouch with the shieldmaiden's coins from him.

"Give it back!" he demanded, advancing towards her and so Rin turned about and ran from her ropable brother.

Back around the corner and there was the mean man in the hall, so much taller and heavier than Lochared was. Am alarmed squeak was pulled from her and Rin put on an extra turn of speed to dart and tumble through the man's legs and past him just as a door opened. Seeing her chance, Rin dove through the open door barely catching sight of a man and woman before she plunged straight under the bed.

"RIN!" thundered Lochared from out in the hall.

"Not here, not here, not here," she whispered, curling up into a ball around the Shieldmaiden's money.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 5:25 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kayden looked to Lyiana with eyes that displayed surprise, though pleasant surprise. They also showed a hint of uncertainty, however. He opened his mouth to reply when suddenly he heard a child screaming in the hallway. He sat up, then heard a crash as the door in the room adjacent was kicked in.

Kayden's eyes grew wild and in spite of his injuries he jumped to his feet and made for the door. "Stay here! It sounds like trouble!" He told Lyiana.

He opened his own door just in time to see an intruder rush through the door of the other room. The door he had just kicked in. He hurried down the hall, ignoring his limp. He stood behind the intruder now, who faced a blond women and an injured man.

"See here!" Kayden called fiercely. "What's all this about?" Though he had no weapon, his stance showed that he was ready to fight.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2017, 6:29 pm 
Ent
Ent

Lyiana furrowed her brows as she caught a hint of uncertainty in his eyes and as she knelt down to sit beside him, a child's cry caused her to turn on her heels and race towards the door. But Kayden's words caused her to stop and remain in the room; once she heard his voice though, she couldn't help herself-her curiosity- and she quickly walked down the hall and stood behind him.
Her eyes widened in fear as she heard a child muttering in fear, but she couldn't see them....
"Where is the child?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 30  Next