Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Anyone out there Still Trying for the revival?
PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 7:40 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Yeah, pretty much. it says that nobody is taking care of the site when they see 4 year old news.TOR is also guilty on that. TOR, Minas Tirith, Barrow Downs, Entmoot, and CoE probably have 'tens' of active members each, like here. I'm sure a few, like me, are on more than one site. It's the same 10-20 people posting on any given site it seems.

And that said... I was getting error time out earlier here for some hours, and couldn't help thinking that the site had finally bit it. Glad its back.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 6th, 2017, 9:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hm.... I didn't realize all the other sites were down to that few active members as well. That's really too bad.

Yeah, I know! I thought of that too because we had just been talking about all this. I tagged a mod in the facebook group about it and I guess they got it fixed. Either way, I'm glad it's back up too.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: February 7th, 2017, 8:02 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I'm thinking of writing a bio for Marida. She's been through a lot in the last three and a half years: divorce, remarriage, relocation, etc. Not that I can play her much, due to the fact that's she's no longer in Middle-earth, but I've finally started that crossover story I've been talking about. As for the site being down, I think it was more of a server issue, since that's the warning I got when I tried to go to the forums on Sunday, so I don't think it had anything to do with low activity. As long as we continue to post, I don't think we have to worry about them shutting down the site anytime soon. Even a little activity is better than nothing. :)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 7th, 2017, 8:24 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Sounds cool. :D You should post the bio here when it is done.

And yeah, Arwen the Webmaster did say as long as there were people posting here she would maintain the site... so hopefully that holds true.

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 11:09 am 
Vala
Vala

I was part of the team who tried a revival a few years ago. I wrote bios for characters for the main site (I wrote the Smaug one for example) and I also was in charge of posting news on the main site. Then something happened and I was not able to access the places needed for such things and I asked for the authority to speak to people who contacted that specific place about advertising etc, but was never given a reply, and I offered to become a moderator to help maintain rules and at least give the appearance of an official and I offered trying to help with new graphics for the site, banner, whatever, but none of that was given an answer either. So at this point I'm far beyond a loss at how to help. I tried, I spent a lot of time writing the bios (I think I wrote 4-5 or something) and the same for gathering news and trying to be the first Lotr related site to post them, including news obviously about The Hobbit movies, trailers, interviews, actors, sets, etc. But like I said, it all just kind of lead to nothing.

And then I felt like, hey, I'm putting all of this effort into it but no one else seems to be on board ready to also put the work in, why should I? You know? I felt for a while very alone in really trying my hardest and putting hours into it every single day to keep the site alive and make it fresh and maybe revamp it and when you get no real support from those behind the scenes you kinda just feel like that energy could go elsewhere.

Rest in peace Carrie Fisher, the legend we didn't deserve.

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 6:09 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

It was all appreciated by we who were here at the time. I even took the time to comment on some of the news and gallery items on the main page. It is obvious that the owner/benevolent bill payer doesn't have the time or drive to work on this place.

Hanasian wrote:
As long as we keep showing up, it may encourage others to do the same. I try and post at least once somewhere every time I'm on. In the past, I wasn't a big posting guy, having only about 700 in 8+ years since I joined in 2007. I have to say I've been the most active here the last couple years. admittedly many of these posts in in the non tolkien section of music, TV/Movies/ Life... but started posting some of my fanfics and am working on getting an RP under way.

And look at me go.... I went from 700 posts in 8+ years to over 2500 posts in 10½ years. I been here a lot this year! Doing what I can to keep it alive! :)

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 3:23 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yeah I took a year of but I'd love to see the site renewed.
But, as everyone has said, as long as the head behind the site can't put in the effort we as members can't do much. I mean, maybe it'd be possible for that person to pass the torch on, I don't know, but then we'd still need someone knowledgeable and hard-working and with the time and energy to revamp stuff.

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 11:24 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Indeed you have Hanasian. :) It has been very nice to see you and others pickup in activity.

I have wondered about that Bellatrix. I actually messaged Arweb about seeing if she could or would pass ownership of the site or at least management. As far as I know, though, the message was never even seen. :/

It really sux that the time you were doing all that stuff was when I had taken a break from AU for personal reasons. I just had.too much crap going on in RL that I couldn't deal with. Maybe if I had been there and we could have convinced more people a larger effort might have gone further. *Shrugs*

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 11:55 am 
Vala
Vala

I don't think it's anyone's fault really. I wasn't the only one involved in reviving the site, I don't want anyone to think that I'm like "ya'll didn't even care and I did EVERYTHING" because that's not true. But without the backup of mods, admins, site owner... there's only so much we can do.

PostPosted: November 10th, 2017, 6:30 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, I get ya. It's just the sad reality I guess. Who knows... LOTR made a come back with the movies and fans surged. Maybe with continued Tolkien works being made things will at least remain steady here on AU.

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2018, 5:47 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Jax Nova wrote:
Several of the members that used to be on regularly seem to have dwindled recently. I am wondering if anyone out there is even still trying for the revival idea. I know Synariel still wants to but has been very busy outside of the forum.
Transfers Orly
Anyone else? And if so what ideas are you willing to put effort into?

Hi, i would like to be more active

PostPosted: July 22nd, 2018, 9:58 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Uh-huh - by sneaking a link into your quote of Jax's post; if that's your game, I hope this was your last post here. >:(

PostPosted: July 23rd, 2018, 6:53 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I suspect it will be. It usually is...