Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Questions on Characters and Elvish
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 10:57 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Location: some where... I was wondering middle earth at one point...

In the movies I have noticed that at some points Gimli understands the elvish and at other times not. So I was curious as to which form of elvish he understands, and which form they are speaking when he doesn't understand. (Right now the place that I noticed was in the FOTR when he said to, I believe, Halidir, to speak in a language we all can understand, and then he speaks something back to him. But I have noticed in other places to.)

Okay also on Aragorn, How many forms of elvish does he know and what form does he mainly use? And what form is used for the most part in the movies.

(I'm sure you can see by now I have not read the books, but am trying too, after the confounded summer reading is done)
Well I just was curious and have many more questions, but this is it for now!

Last edited by Mistica gurl on July 11th, 2005, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2005, 6:03 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

hm..I can't answer all those questions..but here's some answers

Aragorn was raised by the elves, so he probably knows at least two dialects of elvish.

and I think the main dialect of elvish is Sidnarin....

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2005, 1:54 pm 

Quenya is the high Elvish, an ancient form of Elvish like our Latin. Sindarin is the spoken Elvish in Middle-earth and I assume it will be spoken in many dialects in different parts of Middle-earth.

Normally dwarfs and elves aren't friends so it is not likely that dwarfs would speak Elvish.... Although dwarfs used to trade and do works for elves because of their skills.
I don't think Gimli understands Elvish.
Aragorn speaks Sindarin fluently because he was raised in Imladris and he probably speaks Quenya too because he was brought up to become a king. :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2005, 5:32 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

hmmm that gimli one confuses me! i thot he couldnt understand it at all...hmmmm

and aragorn with the sidarion? i have printed off some elvish papers with lines from the movie and they say they are in quenya...but i guess its sidarian>??

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2005, 11:46 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

This whole matter confusses me!
But I remember clearly in in TTT Legolas or someone says Ladders in elvish and gimli's reaction was some thing like oh good. but he understood it.
:confused: I am confuzzled! :confused2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 10:45 am 
Balrog
Balrog

I think the song he sings at his coronation is Quenya, if you're wondeirng,TEW

and btw.he might have just understood the meaning...and I think that was Aragorn that shouted that..mistica_gurl

Profile           YIM        

Post subject: Re: Just some questions. Help please?
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 12:55 pm 

Mistica gurl wrote:
Okay before, I asked did gimli understand elvish. You all said yes. And you said the dwarves spoke elvish fluently (or something to that effect)

Well, I'm not sure about these guys but I assure you that Gimli do not know Elvish due to his generation. Maybe someone who has survive from the Dark Days could've understood Elvish but not Gimli.

Quote:
(Right now the place that I noticed was in the FOTR when he said to, I believe, Halidir, to speak in a language we all can understand, and then he speaks something back to him. But I have noticed in other places to.)

This was in the Extended Edition, I believe.

Quote:
<<Haldir: A, Aragorn in Dúnedain istannen le ammen. (Oh, Aragorn of the Dúnedain, you are known to us.)>>

<<Aragorn: Haldir.>>

<<Gimli: So much for the legendary courtesy of the Elves! Speak words we can also understand!>>

<<Haldir: We have not had dealings with the Dwarves since the Dark Days.>>

<<Gimli: And you know what this Dwarf says to that? Ishkhaqwi ai durugnul!>>

<<Aragorn: That was not so courteous.>>

Quote:
Okay also on Aragorn, How many forms of elvish does he know and what form does he mainly use? And what form is used for the most part in the movies.

I think this was answered already, Aragorn being raised in Rivendell but has travelled around, knows both forms of Elvish.

Also about the "Ladder" thing in TTT - Aragorn shouts "Pendraith!" which is "Ladders!" in Elvish but Gimli doesn't know this --- he actually sees the top ends of the ladders shoves against the curve I believe. Thus "Good!".

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2005, 1:04 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

ok, thanks guys! that helped alot!

Profile       WWW