Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 9:13 pm 

Well, you've gotta define "Not much". ;)

Hobbits seem to have quite an active social life, like Tolkien says, most weeks go by with a Hobbit getting at least one present from a Birthday Party. And they're obviously a very busy folk; just not busy in the sense of "saving the world", or something in that category. :P

<center>Image
~I am a Shieldmaiden for Christ!~
[?~^:]
Doll base

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 10:32 pm 
Elf
Elf

Quote:
What is a hobbit?
They love peace and quiet and good tilled earth.
they dislike machincs, but are handy with tools. They are nimble but don't like to hurry.- J.R.R. Tolkien

The quote I found in the hobbit. So I like that hobbits what I can tell don't like outsider

Quote:
I Reckon it was one of those BIG FOLKfrom foreign parts. he spoke funny. -Gaffer Chapter Three (Three is Company)

So hobbits like to stay in one spot and have not really seen much of Middle-Earth but they know that anything that's bigger then them is humans and other races.

They also don't like anything that has to do with surpise like Biblo dissapering with the ring. They just think that he died and did't really take a lot of time to think about it. I would never live in Hobbiton.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 6:33 am 
Elf
Elf

Hobbits hold a lot a key values dear, such as peace, kindness, humbleness and, of course, six meals a day. That doesn't mean they all hold to these values all the time, just look at the Sackville-Bagginses, but the general feel of the community embraces them. There's always alot of social stimulation and plenty of gossip to muse over, but as has been said; hobbits shun the outside world, changes and anything out of the ordinary.

I'm a person who loves to travel and explore. "Bring me that horizon!" is a favourite Jack Sparrow quote of mine. I somehow think I would be more suited to the life of a ranger than that of a hobbit. Not that I wouldn't enjoy a stay there, and I would probably be happy to come and go much as Gandalf does, but I don't like it when things are always the same, and always easy. I would get restless.

So I guess, if I were a Hobbit, I would probably be living in Buckland and be known as the sort who is slighty over-adventerous. Much like Merry and Pip. I think spending at least part of your youth in the Shire would be worth while. It would give you a sense of balance, of the fact that there is good in the world, and that you can always go back and live a simple life with nothing worse than Farmer Maggot's dogs to worry about.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 12:03 pm 

Hobbiton--well the Shire as a whole--is a place of comfort. It is home, in a sense. Most of the LotR is written from a hobbit's perspective, so in a way, we seem to feel that Hobbiton is a place to come back to. The Shire is the beginning and end of the circle--on a small scale. There is a huge world out there, and very exciting to explore--but all the hobbits want to do is to get back home. It is a place to be born and grow old in--but like the young hobbits, we often find ourselves uprooted and sent to the ends of the earth before we can deserve that homecoming. So, I think of the Shire as two stages of the cycle of life I guess.

For me personally, I find myself leaving the Shire in my own life. I'm in college, ready to experience the world, but someday, I'll come 'home' --that place of familiarity and comfort and community.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 12:18 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Arsarniel wrote:
Well, you've gotta define "Not much". ;)

Hobbits seem to have quite an active social life, like Tolkien says, most weeks go by with a Hobbit getting at least one present from a Birthday Party. And they're obviously a very busy folk; just not busy in the sense of "saving the world", or something in that category. :P

Of course.. :P What I mean by not much is that they don't travel much and just do their daily work and so. But of course the social life is very active and I think that this is something I like very much ya know everyone talking to each other or having a party or so..

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 12:22 pm 
Istari
Istari

vikingmaiden wrote:
It is a place to be born and grow old in--but like the young hobbits, we often find ourselves uprooted and sent to the ends of the earth before we can deserve that homecoming. So, I think of the Shire as two stages of the cycle of life I guess.

I've never thought of it that way, but I really like this theory. It's symbolic. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 12:30 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^
*agrees* I didn't read that post, but it's a very good theory. I've never had such symbolic thoughts of the Shire, but I can agree with ya vikingmaiden.. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 3rd, 2006, 10:35 pm 
Maia
Maia

What sort of community is Hobbiton? From the first chapter, can you tell what sort of values Hobbits seem to have and/or find important? Based on these values/attributes of the community, would you want to live there?

Everybody else has had such good answers I'm not sure I'll be adding much, but I'll give my answers anyway.

Hobbiton is a community that's very calm and quiet, at least to the rest of the world. But to the Hobbits, while it is usually calm, it has it's own excitements, like Bilbo's party. It seems like a very down-to-earth place where the Hobbits aren't worried about solving the problems of the world (besides the troubling one of what to have for tea).

I think Hobbits value peace, family, friends, and security. They're content with where they are, they generally don't want to go off on "adventures". I might like to visit Hobbiton, but I don't think I'd want to live there all the time. I might get bored and want to move on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 2:26 am 
Elf
Elf

vikingmaiden wrote:
Hobbiton--well the Shire as a whole--is a place of comfort. It is home, in a sense. Most of the LotR is written from a hobbit's perspective, so in a way, we seem to feel that Hobbiton is a place to come back to. The Shire is the beginning and end of the circle--on a small scale. There is a huge world out there, and very exciting to explore--but all the hobbits want to do is to get back home. It is a place to be born and grow old in--but like the young hobbits, we often find ourselves uprooted and sent to the ends of the earth before we can deserve that homecoming. So, I think of the Shire as two stages of the cycle of life I guess.

Wow. That's deep. :blink: You've put it perfectly. I really don't know what to say, except that you've said one thing that I felt, but I didn't know how to put it in words while still making any sense. Perfectly said. Bravo.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 7:01 am 
Istari
Istari

I've just read the first chapter of FotR: A Longexpected Party. It's one of my favourite chapters, because there's a lot of information about the way hobbits live. Like vikingmaiden said, it's a place to be born and grow old in, but you can't stay there forever. You have to see the rest of the world before you know what a peaceful life is worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 12:38 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^
*agrees* yes you really have to make that experience.. but the hobbits didn't have to make it and I think that's cool, they didn't want to get into any adventures, because they loved their peaceful life as it was. I really like that idea

Post subject: How can we know?
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 9:22 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I think you are very perceptive Vikingmaiden. This is all about life…our lives. I have felt far from home too.
And Cuilwen, when you said that we had to leave before we really appreciate it…Wow! Kind of builds on what Vikingmaiden said...

How can we really appreciate peace unless we have known a violent storm? How can we even know what good actually is unless we have seen abject evil? How can we value light unless we have lived in darkness?

But what about Bilbo? He couldn’t bear the close quarters with relatives and the quiet life. He would have spent eternity on an adventure if he could have his way.

Perhaps not even all hobbits are made for the shire……

Last edited by Sinbearer on June 4th, 2006, 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2006, 11:25 pm 
Maia
Maia

vikingmaiden wrote:
Hobbiton--well the Shire as a whole--is a place of comfort. It is home, in a sense. Most of the LotR is written from a hobbit's perspective, so in a way, we seem to feel that Hobbiton is a place to come back to.

That's a good point! It's kind of like Frodo said in Chapter 2, "I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somwhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again."
That's kind of like home to some people. After they leave home to go to college, work, to get married, or whatever, what they may face seems a little easier since they know that their home is still behind them. Although they may never go back to their homes, it's still there as a comfort.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 11:05 am 
Istari
Istari

What Frodo also said in Chapter 2: "I should like to save the Shire, if I could - though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake of an invasion of dragons might be good for them."

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 8th, 2006, 6:36 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

I think that Hobbiton is where everyone wants to live and raise a family. Their children are not restrained except by not going beyond their borders, their minds are allowed to wander to the wild places of the earth. Living in Hobbiton means a place of saftey and comfort. Returning to Hobbiton after a great journey to Orodruin,it would be like sitting on a window sill in the sun with a good book(but most Hobbits can't read....oh well) and something to eat. Hobbiton is definetely a haven. Not as stern or as strict as the Elves nor as grim as the Men or Dwarves, Hobbits are like the fun in all of us.

Of all the places mentioned in any of Tolkien's books, it is the place that really resonates with my childhood.When you are young you imagine this perfect place where the sun always sun shines and there is always a parent to welcome you home, listen to your stories about chasing a butterfly or to give you a bath after rolling around in the mud with one of your friends. I think that Hobbition is exactly like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 24th, 2006, 5:53 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I used to live in a small but cozy city, and Hobbiton reminds me of that city. (It's called Northfield, pretty close to Minneapolis Minnesota so go ahead and look it up). I think the hobbits themselves are like they have been described so many times, a kind, gentle, peaceful race. Hobbiton is just one wonderful little place to raise a family and grow up. Who wouldn't want to live there?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next