Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Did any of the book lovers want to kill Peter Jackson...
PostPosted: July 6th, 2006, 5:44 pm 

After he brought the bloody elves in (which I was personally a bit miffed about) and then killed of HALDIR?! I'm a bit of a Haldir fan girl so I was rather irritated with our little friend *evil laugh* Mr. Jackson.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2006, 6:04 pm 

Well...first of all, I don't think any one here should belittle what Peter Jackson did with the LotR movies. I myself can not imagine the chore, but also privilege of turning a beloved book of such magnitude into a movie. However, that being said...I was a bit confused, lost, and then even a little disturbed that they brought back Haldir, to die no less, and Co. in the midst of Helm's Deep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2006, 6:46 am 
Istari
Istari

TTT is probably my least favourite movie of the three, because there are so many things different form the book. And one of those things are the Elves coming to Helm's Deep, but the way Faramir acts in TTT upsets me more. :confused:
Apart from that the movie is wonderful of course. :) PJ did an incrediible job (though I think FotR and RotK are better :p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2006, 12:17 pm 

Moved to TTT Movie Discussion. :)

Well, I actually wasn't that bugged by the elves brought to Helm's Deep, as Cuilwen said, the Faramir changes were much more upsetting by far. Anyway, as Ringers who have read the books... we know that Haldir doesn't die. :P So just forget what PJ said about that. 8)

<center>Image
~I am a Shieldmaiden for Christ!~
[?~^:]
Doll base

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 7th, 2006, 12:25 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I'm going to be different and say that the Faramir change did not actually upset me, I felt that it said way more about his character and that you ended up appreciating him more than you would have. It also helps to solidify the fact the Faramir desperately wants to please his father, which is also seen in RotK. I think PJ did what was necessary, and it came out very well.
I was, however, a little mad about Haldir's death. I didn't mind the Elves at Helm's deep in general, though. :D :D :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2006, 9:04 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

(What is it about me that always seems to bring threads to a dead halt?)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 3:59 pm 

^That's how I feel. I've seemed to kill a lot of threads in the very short time I've been here.

I personally was a bit upset at Haldir's death, but it did make a bit of sense, in the fact that the elves did fight in the war. Maybe not alongside man, but they did have wars.
Faramir upset me way more. They could've shown struggle and growth in different ways. And they way they changed him left out one of my favorite lines of his, when he talks about why he loves Minas Tirith.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2006, 11:18 pm 

I dont think anyone could have made the lotr movies better then peter jackson. I think he did a extremely nice job. As you can see the Harry Potter Movies are Not as good as LotR. I was a little dissapointed to see elves coming to the helms deep battle cause i was hopping to see everyone in the last film but If i never had read the books i wouldent have cared so :/.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 3:20 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I saw the movie before I read the book, so it didn't really bother me, and so didn't make much of an impact when I did read the book. I mean I do understand where Jackson is coming from when he sends in the Elves - they are coming to the aid of Men one last time before utterly leaving for the West. Sort of saying, 'We have not forsaken ye yet, oh Late-Comers' and it sort of re-creates the Last Alliance, and makes for a nice little epic battle-scene. That being said, the Last Alliance wasn't called the 'Last Alliance of Elves and Men' for nothing... On to Haldir. I also understand where Jackson was coming from when he killed Haldir. It kinda shows you the bleakest point of the battle, possibly the war, for it shows you how no creature, mortal or immortal, can escape death delt with intention; it shows you the mortality of Elves, and how they are not the ones to win this war. And I see how the movies work with each other for the tone and speed (it seems events in the movies go by faster than they do in the books) set for them. However, that was basically a complete re-write of what actually happened in the books. Overall I don't really mind ^^

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7521

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 19th, 2006, 5:45 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I was a bit annoyed with the Elves in Helms Deep too. It did make it a lot less complicated to make though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2006, 1:44 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I actually didnt really care about the death of Haldir, but i wish that it had been only rohan defending helms deep, besides, the elves got completely slaughtered! I thought they were good. :explode:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 7:23 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I for one was pretty bugged! Common PJ, just stick with the book! Lol! :P. I think it was unnecassary. There were other scenes I hated more though. Also, it really misleads those who have only seen the movie...though in all, I still think he did a pretty good job with them.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 7:37 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I did hate him for adding the Elves into TTT, but not as much as I hated him for absolutely destroying everything that makes ROTK great

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2006, 11:43 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

What do you mean, destroying?!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2006, 10:49 pm 

^Yes, I'd like to know too. Maybe you could elaborate on that statement.

I have to say that although PJ didn't stay fully true to the books I will come to his defence by asking, how could he? It's impossible to convert books of that size and magnitude into a 3 hour movie, and have everything you want to have of importance.
I too was a little irritated that PJ had sent the Elves to Helm's Deep, but then I realised the reason behind it. The people of Helm's Deep needed hope, and the audience needed hope. I'm sure at this point our audience [mostly the non-book readers] were sure that the people were doomed. This supplied a nice bit of relief for everyone.
On the subject of Haldir's death again, it was needed. It is rare for Elves to die, and PJ needed to show that to the audience. The Elves are just as vulnerable as the humans are. They can die too, despite the fact that they are immortal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2006, 9:25 pm 

*sigh*
I suppose I understand why PJ did it, but PJ why Haldir!? *sniffle*

Anyways, I remember watching TTT in theaters for the first time and when the host arrived at Helm's deep I thought I was going to have a heart attack, I thought I was going to jump out of my chair and start screaming at the elves to go home. Of course, I barely refrained from doing that, but instead hit my dad on the shoulder and started going off about how they're not supposed to be there. Of course, he hit me back and did the same thing :P

And now, I just skip that part when watching TTT, it's too dramatic for my nerves. I <3 Haldir.

[Will accept any PM! So PM me! :teehee:]

Profile       WWW