Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Was that battle in the book?
PostPosted: September 10th, 2006, 11:30 am 
Maia
Maia

When the Wargs attack the Rohirrim en route to Helm's Deep, was the battle in the book? I've read TTT a few times, but it always gets very muddled around this part. :confused:

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 10th, 2006, 3:01 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

^not sure.......i kinda agree w/ u.....& i've read it 7 times. lol :-P Any1 else know....? :confused:

"Great art is as irrational as great music. It is mad with its own loveliness."

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2006, 2:35 am 

NO!!! That was one of PJ's biggest deviations from the real story(curse his eyes) The whole warg fight/ Aragorn off the cliff sequence never actually happens. Remember, all the women and children are sent to Dunharrow in the mountains when Theoden decides to fight. Only Theoden and his men actually take the road to Helm's Deep. And they aren't attacked on the way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 11th, 2006, 3:31 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yes, that piece was definitely not in the book. And all that Darell has said is true.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2006, 8:00 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

It wasn't in the books, although the fellowship did get attacked by a large warg pack en route to Moria. I can live with that battle scene being a part of the film, but Aragorn falling off the cliff was just crazy

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2006, 8:08 pm 
Maia
Maia

:blink: Aragron didn't fall off the cliff? Good lord, that's awful. I can;t believe they put that in.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2006, 2:55 am 

Now perhaps you can understand some of my disgust after watching the Two Towers, and how , inorder to properly enjoy the films I had do disassociate them from the books. The trick is to consider them different stories; one is Tolkiens LotR (the real one) and the other is PJ's LotR. Different plot line you see :P :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2006, 1:50 pm 
Elf
Elf

I didn't mind the changes in the films all that much...that pretty much strikes me from the 'Tolkien Purist' list, but I get what PJ did for a wider audience. Feel free to hit me with a fish or anything...:P

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2006, 5:00 pm 
Vala
Vala

Location: somewhere sympathy is more than just a way of leaving

I don't think I will hit you with a fish Wingfoot. It might be smelly. :P
People need to learn to accept that there are going to be deviations from the plots in books when they become films. I have never ever ever seen a movie that was completely 100% true to the book. It's just not done. Movies would be 10 times as long as they are. That said, I think that the LOTR movies were one of the best transitions from books to film, probably the best I have ever seen. Granted, I saw the movies before I read the books. but I have read the books and seen the films a few times now. Yes, there were obviuosly differences, even unneccesary ones. But overall, I thought that the message was the same, the story was mainly the same. Some of the differences can be irksome, I agree with that. But I think that LOTR are amazing books, and they are also amazing films. Also, one comfort, if they did change things from the book, look at how well the films were cast. They didn't have Tom Cruise ( :yuck: ) playing aragorn or somthing sick like that. They had actors who were practically perfect for the roles.
Ok. I think I have ranted suffieciently for one post. Main point: LOTR, book or movie, is amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2006, 2:51 am 

I never said the films weren't great. If you look at the number of times I have watched them, I would be hypocritical by saying I didn't like them. But in order to enjoy them fully I had to dissasociate them from the books in my mind. Being a Tolkien Purist I find the large deiviations very aggravating.

And I have to agree with you on the casting topic. A lot of time went into it, and all the actors did a good job (although the job of some was different to what they should have to do, according to the books *cough*Faramir*cough*) But each of the actors was well suited to their role. That was good :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2006, 5:39 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Ok this is going off-topic, but oh well.

Personally I don't see why Jackson really needed to change anything. I don't think he understands just how popular the LOTR books are (2nd most read book ever, even before the films).

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 14th, 2006, 9:07 pm 
Vala
Vala

Movies and books will always be different. That's just how it is. There has to be some changes. Yes, there were some unnecessary changes, but I think that some (although not all *coughFaramircough, *coughSamleavingFrodocough*) were actually worthwhile changes.
I guess it is helpful if you think about them as to separate things. I thinkI just automatically do that. I love the books because it they are the books. I love the movies because they are the movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2006, 4:01 am 

^aye, I agree with all of that. But I have to say that the change that this thread is about waqs one of the better ones. Part of it anyway. the fight was a 'better' change. Aragorn taking flying lessons with the warg was a very bad idea...

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2006, 3:14 pm 
Vala
Vala

Aragorn taking flying lessons with the warg was a horrible idea.

Actually, though, while that battle didn't take place, similar ones might have happened on that march, on a smaller scale, because in the books, some of the scouts come back and report that "Warg riders are abroad in the valley," and so on and so forth, so I imagine that there were some skirmishes.

I can tolerate the changes in the movies, but I do what Darrell does - I disassociate the movies from the books. I think of them as variations, like when you have a song and someone makes a techno version of it. Two 'different' things. That's how I view them. I have a very hard time tolerating Faramir's attitude in TTT (the movie), though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2006, 4:17 pm 
Vala
Vala

I agree. I didn't care for the changes in Faramir. I get that they needed to demonstrate the power of the Ring, but they could do it in a way that didn't go so blatantly against what was said in the books. I really liked Farmir's character in the books. I liked him a lot in ROTK too, but after TTT I was so keen on him. Faramir's a great character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20th, 2006, 3:31 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Yes, I agree with Darrell, but you know Darrell, difrent people, difrent likes and MINDs. So really, it is all the way that PJ saw it.

Welcome to My World.
It is close to Narnia.

Thanks for your support. You know who you are.
</center>