Too much of Arwen 49%  49%  [ 22 ]
Too little of Arwen 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Just right! ;) 49%  49%  [ 22 ]
Total votes : 45
 Post subject: Too much of Arwen?
PostPosted: May 27th, 2008, 8:36 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Well, as my title suggests, I think there is just too much of Arwen in The Two Towers. Of course they need some of her, but it seems a bit too much. Tolkien said that the main focus was supposed to be on the hobbits, but in the theatrical version at least, there is more Arwen than Merry and Pippin. You hardly see them in this movie.

What do you all think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2008, 3:55 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I agree... She's an important character, but not nearly as important as the hobbits. (I think, anyway.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2008, 12:18 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Someone agrees with me! :teehee:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 7:50 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Hmm, well to be honest I don't think you see any more of Arwen than you do Merry and Pippin, they are in it quite a lot whether when they were with the Uruks, or meeting and staying with Treebeard to fighting at Isengard. Arwen pops up when Aragorn remembers a meeting with her and when she is talking to Elrond.

I think it was important that we found out just exactly what would happen to Arwen if she wed Aragorn as his motivation for all he was doing was partly to do with her. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 8:17 pm 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

Well generally in a film, people do like watching more action scenes as well as a love story with many scenes, which could only be done using Arwen and Aragorn. I also second what Gimli said about Aragorn's motivation. And honest to the gods, I was seriously bored to dust and ashes during the Merry, Pippin and Treebeard scenes because quite frankly... it's less fun to listen to an Ent speak than an Elf.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2008, 8:33 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Well, in the EE version of the film, I would agree with you, JF, when you say there is about the same amount. But in the theatrical version, I think there is a lot less of Merry and Pippin.
And there seemed to be a lot of Arwen popping up. There are some scenes that I think are great, like when she sees her son, but there are also scenes that I don't think were needed and were a tinsy bit strange. I think say the dream scene is one of those. But they could've kept those good scenes and had the hobbits.
I do think it's important to see her motivation, but I also think it's important to see the hobbits. :teehee:

^Yeah, in TTT they could only have Arwen and Aragorn's love story, RotK, they could've had a bit of Eowyn's and Faramir's. But it seemed to me that they had a lot of the love stuff, which drew away from the action.
Me mom was bored to death too! :teehee: (I was bored in the book.) But I also found Arwen was starting to bore. :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2008, 1:20 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well I haven't seen the theatrical version of TTT in years, so I can't quite remember what was not in etc. But I think from a story standpoint, it was more important for us to learn that:

a) Aragorn had basically called it all off because of the fact he and Elrond didn't want Arwen to eventually die
b) Arwen made the choice herself to leave after hearing what Elrond had forseen the future to be

I think that was important to know really so we know what Aragorn is going through.

And as much as I like the Merry and Pippin scenes where they are drinking Ent water and they found Saruman's food store, they weren't quite as important to the overall story. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 17th, 2008, 12:05 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Yes, those are very important points we need to know about. And I think if they just stuck to that it would be fine. But don't you think they had some scenes that were not to that point at all.

Yes, it doesn't have much to do with the story. :teehee: But they are major characters in the books, and I don't think they should be left out as much as they were. :confused: In the other two movies, their story was more important to the film than their story in TTT. But you can't really have them as major in the first one, Kinda disappearing in the second, and major in the third again.

I don't know, that's just my thought! :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2008, 12:56 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Haldir o Lórien wrote:
Well generally in a film, people do like watching more action scenes as well as a love story with many scenes, which could only be done using Arwen and Aragorn. I also second what Gimli said about Aragorn's motivation. And honest to the gods, I was seriously bored to dust and ashes during the Merry, Pippin and Treebeard scenes because quite frankly... it's less fun to listen to an Ent speak than an Elf.

Oh....I can't BELIEVE that I'm actually going to admit this....but I agree. I feel like a traitor! I know how hard they worked on those scenes with Treebeard and I like his character, but I do get KINDA bored during those scenes. However, on the other matter, you do need the love story to offset the action scenes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2008, 6:06 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I thought there was too much Arwen in the movies. I'm not a big fan of hers... The one scene I really liked was the Flight to the Ford, which wasn't even in the book!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2008, 5:14 pm 
Istari
Istari

Well, Arwen's one of my favorite movie characters, so I may be a *teeny* bit biased. :P But I really thought, at least in the EEs, that they did a good job of giving most of the characters pretty equal screen time.

Pippin of Herenya's Line - "...give nothing back!"
Got fed up and eloped with Ragetti 1-3-08 :P
PHYLLIS, THE ANTI-SUSPIAN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 27th, 2008, 5:34 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I guess in the EEs they did even it about a bit, but not in the theatrical version. But even in the EE, don't you think there was just a bit more of Arwen than there needed to be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2008, 1:18 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I didn't get the impression that there was more of Arwen than of Merry and Pippin. I actually thought that there were just very little scenes with her, but it fit in the movie just right. If they had had any more scenes with her it would've been too much, because she's not that important, but if they hadn't explained everything between her and Aragorn and wouldn't have explained what was going to happen if she stays in Middle-earth instead of sailing to the Undying Lands, people who didn't read the books would've been like "Who the hell is she??"
So, in my opinion the way they brought her in was just right!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 3:22 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

She had such a minor role in the books and when she was in the movie, SHE WAS EVERYWHERE!!! I almost got sick of seeing her all the time - what with the journey to Valinor and Aragorn always thinking of her -- it just got tiring after a while. Blech!

Wife of Beren

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 3:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

She had such a minor role in the books and when she was in the movie, SHE WAS EVERYWHERE!!! I almost got sick of seeing her all the time - what with the journey to Valinor and Aragorn always thinking of her -- it just got tiring after a while. Blech!

Wife of Beren

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 22nd, 2008, 3:39 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Well I actually heard that Tolkien regarded Arwen as a very important part of the LOTR story, but he just couldn't find a way to include her in the main book. Just because she was in the appendices doesn't mean "oh, she wasn't in the main book so she's obviously not meant to be important" is wrong.

For me, Arwen did 2 things.

One, she helped us to see exactly what Aragorn is fighting for. He's not just fighting for Middle-earth for the sake of it, he's not suddenly decided after obvious doubt, that he'll become King for the fun of it. His great motivation is his love for Arwen. And we, as a viewer need to see that. Whether it's in flashbacks of conversations they have had or whatever.

Secondly, Arwen allowed us to see a bit more of the culture of the Elves. For anyone who didn't quite grasp the choice Elves have to make in leaving Middle-earth, they soon understood it with her. The whole story of Arwen's love for Aragorn and the fact she would sacrafice her immortality for him, whilst not being a courage found on the battlefield, it showed what a strong character she was and also how much faith she had in Aragorn being the man she knew he was.

So.. yeah. I liked the scenes with Arwen. It gave more backstory to Aragorn and we could understand what drove him to do things more than if she wasn't around.

Profile       WWW