Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meganelf is finally manning up[updated12.28] comments please
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 8:04 pm 
Elf
Elf

Hey guys. The new stuff is on the last page. :)

This time around, I'm working more on fonts, as well as just trying to develop a style that actually looks good.

I know I'm not the best, by far, and I don't really have a style. I've entered a couple contests, and I know the amazing talent that is on this website, and maybe you can all help me be better too.

credits
my brain-touchstonesart.com-a-u.com-bittereppiphany.com

Old stuff:
avvies
Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image

banners
--old stuff--
for turwaithiel swann:
for FairRider:

--new stuff--

blends/randomness
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/ ... thefae.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/ ... ieve-1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/ ... f/ff-1.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/ ... metome.jpg

Last edited by Meganelf on June 20th, 2009, 1:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 8:19 pm 
Istari
Istari

Wow. I love your stuff! Your graphics are amazing! I especially like your Les Mis banner.

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 8:22 pm 
Elf
Elf

Freya Baggins wrote:
Wow. I love your stuff! Your graphics are amazing! I especially like your Les Mis banner.

thanks Freya!
I played Enjolras in our musical, so I got a little inspired ;)
I'm glad you like them!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2008, 8:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

Heh... I played 'ponine so I have a soft spot for all Les Mis characters. *grin*

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 4:33 pm 
Elf
Elf

That's awesome freya!!

----
here's a couple more things to gander at...

for pip&leggyluvr

500x500
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v686/ ... fences.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 8:54 pm 
Graphic Illusionist '08
Graphic Illusionist '08

That Joker banner is supremely creepy and supremely awesome. Great job!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 9:48 pm 

YAY!

Teh Meganelf finally has a gallery! :D

I've always enjoyed your stuff. :D Always lovely. And I like all the stuff you've posted.

And that EVANRUDE banner! *SQUEEEEEEEEEE* It's SOOO adorable. :happy:

Well keep up the good work. :yes:

Sig: Teh Nurr

I've met Eru & Eä & Ellie & teh Arweb & Naur & Elenya & POTR!

POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 9:54 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Very nice work. You've got an eye for what images work well together and your blending is very good.

I would say try and experiment a little more with the text. Less is more sometimes. Try using fonts that suit the image more, and perhaps use the overlay or soft mode. Or in some cases pale colours with a dark border really help to make text stand out if the image is light coloured.

I tend to use textures simply for the colour. The more extravagent ones I tend to stay away from, or if I find one that works for half of my banner, I delete the other half, and copy the bit that works, mirror it, match it up, and hope it suits the rest of my image. If not, try again with another texture until you find one that works for all the image. Try not the allow the texture to rule the image, you still need to see what's underneath. Sharpening your image can really help if your texture is a bit much.

:-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2008, 10:34 pm 
Maia
Maia

Location: I'm everywhere at once. I am currently lost in the land of quotes.

Wow - everything's really great - I especially like your blends.

"I am he [she =P] that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 31st, 2008, 2:30 pm 
Elf
Elf

Aliana Fae wrote:
That Joker banner is supremely creepy and supremely awesome. Great job!

Thanks :) I tried really hard to not even look at it while I was making it! I haven't even seen the movie yet just because I'm so scared of clowns! :confused2:

MontanaBohemian wrote:
YAY!

Teh Meganelf finally has a gallery! :D

I've always enjoyed your stuff. :D Always lovely. And I like all the stuff you've posted.

And that EVANRUDE banner! *SQUEEEEEEEEEE* It's SOOO adorable. :happy:

Well keep up the good work. :yes:

Aw, thankies Montana! I haven't seen you in a while. I'm glad you like them still!! :)

Johnny's Fan wrote:
Very nice work. You've got an eye for what images work well together and your blending is very good.

I would say try and experiment a little more with the text. Less is more sometimes. Try using fonts that suit the image more, and perhaps use the overlay or soft mode. Or in some cases pale colours with a dark border really help to make text stand out if the image is light coloured.

I tend to use textures simply for the colour. The more extravagent ones I tend to stay away from, or if I find one that works for half of my banner, I delete the other half, and copy the bit that works, mirror it, match it up, and hope it suits the rest of my image. If not, try again with another texture until you find one that works for all the image. Try not the allow the texture to rule the image, you still need to see what's underneath. Sharpening your image can really help if your texture is a bit much.

:-)

Thanks you so much, JF (really, I admire your work so much). I've always had a little bit of troubles with text--especially recently since I'm working off of a different computer and there's only about 20 different fonts! So I'm trying to use DaFont to compensate, but it's hard :blush:
And thank you for the texture advice! I'll try to keep it in all in mind for my next batch!

Arya Undomiel wrote:
Wow - everything's really great - I especially like your blends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2008, 1:03 pm 
Elf
Elf

:bounce:

So I've sorta gone on a disney/bookmarks bonanza.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image Image Image

and there's more coming. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2008, 2:14 am 
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ

I LOVE IT! All of it. Simply stunning. And where do you find your pics for Mulan? I love that movie!

*rushes to request something ;)*

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 7th, 2008, 11:38 pm 
Elf
Elf

Turwaithiel Swann wrote:
I LOVE IT! All of it. Simply stunning. And where do you find your pics for Mulan? I love that movie!

*rushes to request something ;)*

I got them from the zip files from http://magicalscreencaps.com/caps.php
there are some great screencaps on there. :)

and I'm totally ready if you wanna request something ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2008, 2:11 am 

Okay, thanks! :)

Consider it done. (*coughcheckyourrequestthreadcough* hehe)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 1:08 pm 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

All of your work looks fantastic, but the only thing I wanted to tell you about is your borders... see, sometimes bigger borders can make the image feel too boxed in.. perhaps you could try using borders that aren't as big. Like this banner looks really great ::

Quote:

Other than that, I would definitely listen to the advice that others have given; like JF when she says that less text is better. A great way to do this is like how I do some of my banners - a really big word in fancy text and then a small, unreadable paragraph underneath. That will help to fill up some space, while also adding some artistic design and your banners will look even better. Like on your Arwen 'Time of the Elves' banner in the first post - that looks really great! As for textures, don't go overboard with them; they should be there to add some pattern and color to your graphics... like JF said, use them on soft or overlay settings. Also, if you've never used brushes, you should really try them out
[they're some of the most wonderful things in the graphic world]. Simple, clean lines are always the best... it may not seem like it, but simple is always better (again, referring to that previously mentioned Arwen/Elves banner) and you don't need to make banners look over the top to make them look good.

I hope this was helpful; constructive critism is always good to hear and I hope you're not offended by anything I wrote... I'm not trying to make you mad, just help you out when it comes to graphic arts. It's taken me about two years to perfect my style, and it's still not the best. So it all depends on the person and what kind of skills they have. Just don't get frustrated if things don't work out right away - you'll improve each time and learn a lot of new things; especially if you look up some tutorials on google - they can be very helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2008, 6:15 pm 
Elf
Elf

Aramel Elyanwe wrote:
All of your work looks fantastic, but the only thing I wanted to tell you about is your borders... see, sometimes bigger borders can make the image feel too boxed in.. perhaps you could try using borders that aren't as big. Like this banner looks really great ::

Quote:

Other than that, I would definitely listen to the advice that others have given; like JF when she says that less text is better. A great way to do this is like how I do some of my banners - a really big word in fancy text and then a small, unreadable paragraph underneath. That will help to fill up some space, while also adding some artistic design and your banners will look even better. Like on your Arwen 'Time of the Elves' banner in the first post - that looks really great! As for textures, don't go overboard with them; they should be there to add some pattern and color to your graphics... like JF said, use them on soft or overlay settings. Also, if you've never used brushes, you should really try them out
[they're some of the most wonderful things in the graphic world]. Simple, clean lines are always the best... it may not seem like it, but simple is always better (again, referring to that previously mentioned Arwen/Elves banner) and you don't need to make banners look over the top to make them look good.

I hope this was helpful; constructive critism is always good to hear and I hope you're not offended by anything I wrote... I'm not trying to make you mad, just help you out when it comes to graphic arts. It's taken me about two years to perfect my style, and it's still not the best. So it all depends on the person and what kind of skills they have. Just don't get frustrated if things don't work out right away - you'll improve each time and learn a lot of new things; especially if you look up some tutorials on google - they can be very helpful.

All of this is great--and don't worry, I'm not offended!! Constructive criticism is probably the only way I expand my knowledge. I have been working on smaller boarders, as well as the way I use textures (thanks to JF of course).
My biggest problem is that I USED to have a style, which was very texture heavy, lots of brushes, and, well, more "angsty" looking. And then, one day it was gone. so I'm just trying to find myself again... :confused2:
But thank you so much. I should get some more up soon, then maybe you can see some of my fresher stuff. :)