Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 28th, 2024, 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: --LotR Descriptions-- VOTE NOW!!!
PostPosted: March 20th, 2007, 9:51 pm 
Maia
Maia

Please vote using this form...

HM.

Thank’ee!

FRODOFAN: Galadriel

She is my Queen - glorious in every aspect. She is like the mother of Lórien's trees and plants, as well as the mother of all of us.

Her hair radiates as if it soaks up the sun and then pours it back out; it shimmers the way that streams do when the sun is caught in their ripples and her eyes are two crystal pools, piercing, yet beautiful.

She sees and knows so much, yet never does she use this for evil purposes. She is wise and noble, strong yet fair beyond words.

She is Galadriel, my Queen forever.

---
Laurel: Arwen

The Evenstar's ethereal beauty hearkens back to her starry-eyed, dark-haired foremother, Lúthien, remind us of their similar fates. It is no wonder a mortal man fell in love with Undómiel so ardently, for her eyes are like pools of light which can so easily shine with delight or cloud over with despair, and which ensnare the hearts of all.

Tinuviel this man called her, that fateful night under Arda's sky. Full of compassion and love our lady trothed herself to him, and together they have battled against all forces that work to sunder themselves apart. But the Evenstar, our Arwen, is ever strong. She does not falter in her choices, nor her step.

Her raven-black hair, when bound in a net of jewels, sparkles like the night sky, reflecting the lights of the heavens, contesting even Varda's own creation.

And her soft voice is like down, caressing the senses, and tingling the spine. Her words are full of passion and carefully wrought. When she sings even the larks and birds of the forest stop to listen. She speaks with the authority of queen to her subjects, providing reason and truth when needed.

And a queen she shall be! Her manner, her grace, her humility, and undying love move her ever forward towards this goal and towards the man she gave up her entire life for.

---
Meldawen: Aragorn

His eyes were never quite there. Upon him chancing to laugh or grin, an occurrence seldom witnessed, they lit momentarily; but something beyond their grey depths seemed lost, wistful, a memory of things taken, never to be returned.

Until word came of Isildur's bane.

Then some strange fire, a burning determination, took the place of the wistfulness. The smile was seen more seldom, and the dark figure beyond the campfire watching the horizon was always he, hand upon his sword hilt and stance speaking of a wild desire to bring back things he thought irretrievably gone. The threads of grey in his dark hair, a trait seen often in the line of Kings, grew more numerous. But so changed was his demeanor, from silent Man of the West to ruler of old, passion for the lands he loved a burning flame within him, that one never quite noticed.

To disturb him on his watch was to face the ring of a drawn sword, a bared blade both in his hands and in his eyes until he saw the intruder and relaxed. He would sheath the weapon with a low murmur of voice, intensity apparent even in the most insignificant phrase.

And had I been at that fated Council I would have thought…those present surely would agree…that the world seemed saved already upon hearing the words:

“You have my sword.”

And ever so his foes did fall.

---
EarielMaurwen: Frodo

If there were an angel in earthly form, it would be him. Pale and fair as starlight, with locks dark as evening--his is also the beauty of Luthien, although he is not descended of her. But indeed, many have said he has an unearthliness about him, an Elvish air, that is uncommon to his race. Certainly he has the grace of the Elves, and shares their love for wondrous things. He is one they name Elf friend.
Where Luthien's eyes were grey as twilight, his are blue as the summer sky at morning, and with one glad smile he can surpass the Dawn in light and joy. Yet fairer still than his countenance is the otherworldly radiance that streams through azure-stained windows, from the starlike brilliancy that is his soul. Once Shadow darkened and wounded him, yet even in the deepest Dusk his spirit only burned brighter, a piercing white flame that even the fires of the One could not touch. Now he is still worn, no longer as carefree as he once was, and yet his inner light shines more sweetly even than before. Like silver in the forgefire, he was thrust into the dark flames of the Shadowlands, which sought to burn away everything he was. This he chose willingly, sacrificing himself for the World, and though death did not claim him at that time, a heavy price was still paid, for he is forever changed---he cannot go back to the life he once led, and loved. Yet great though the torment was, and high though the cost, his spirit is now fairer than mithril. Fairer than starlight. Now he goes on the Last Ship, forever lost to these shores, but there are those who will remember him, and all he is and has become. He is our hero who saved Middle-earth. He is a simple hobbit who folks say turned rather queer after he vanished into the Wilds for a time. He is brave and beautiful, kind and courageous, wise and willing to give up everything for those he loves--even himself. Those who honor him will remember his selfless valour, and the minstrels and bards will sing of his deeds for ages to come. Those who love him will remember his laughing light, and the odd way he would become lost in thought, as if listening to the music of the distant Sea. And I? I both love and honor him, and half of my heart is forever in the West. Who is he, do you ask? I will tell you his name--there is no other answer. He is Frodo.

---
Nauriel Rochnur: Faramir

Faramir has just announced that we will ride to Osgilliath. No doubt he knows, just as we do, that this is a suicide mission. Yet I follow anyway...willingly even. I would not bare to let him go without me.
His sacrafice...all for the love of his father. A father that shows no love. Dare I compare my captain to a small pup that adores his master? But his master, his father, shows not an ounce of affection. He speaks only scorn as he pats the pup's beloved brother....I guess I do dare to compare Faramir to a mutt.....Faramir's love for his father is unending, unlimited, and lord knows unworthy to the man who causes my captian so much pain and confusion...but by god he handles it. Never have I seen such strength of mind. His strength of mind echoes to his raven haired exterior. He is tall, proud, collected. There's a glint in his keen grey eyes that people follow because they see wisdom and leadership. He views the world not as a lofty noble who bathes in pleasantries, or a peasant who is downtrodden and spit upon. He views the world as it really is. Its a gift that rivals his gift of Numenorean blood, the blood that gives him such powers of perception. He can look into a man's eyes and see his soul. Why then does he not realize that his father will never show him the love and approval he so desires? I wish he would realize it and forget this folly mission to Osgilliath.
I have no doubt I will die today...but I'm okay with that. Faramir is a strong man, a wise man, a true man. Faramir is my Captain, and I will follow him anywhere, even to death.

---
ForeverFrodo: Theoden

And so here we are, our little host of Rohan's soldiers, riding to battle. There is a long way to go yet until we reach the fields of Pelennor where our fate shall be decided. Where will I find my courage to fight against Mordor's evil creatures? For verily fight I must to protect my wife and children.
As I gaze back to the west where I have left my loved ones, I notice my king, sitting sternly on his horse, and as he turns, his eyes meet mine. Is this the same man that I once saw sitting in the Golden Hall, old, grey, unable to ride a horse, even to move without aid? How much has he changed since then! Grim and kingly does he look and yet there is a hint of his gentle mind in his face. But what touches me the most is the ardent fire that burns in his eyes. I do not know what it is - is it fear of the battle that lies before us? No, verily fear it cannot be. He has made his choice and he will cling to it even though he may have to face death before the end.
But what is it then? Can it be anger, can it be despair?
As I sit there and look upon him, a thought stirs in me and suddenly I understand that it is pride, the pride of the kings of old that burns in him and that will make him ride to battle without looking back.

I take a deep breath and follow the path that lays ahead. I will do what must be done! Follow my king I will, to whatever end.

Haldafar, son of Hamund, died in the battle of Pelennor in an attempt to save his king from an enemy attack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2007, 8:03 pm 

*bumpeth for FM* C'mon everyone, she made a new thread for voting as everyone requested, so why aren't there any votes? :confused:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 23rd, 2007, 8:23 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

1st. Laurel
2nd: FRODOFAN:
3rd: EarielMaurwen
HM: Meldawen

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2007, 11:38 am 
Istari
Istari

I'll vote if I may.

1st. Meldawen
2nd. Nauriel Rochnur
3rd. EarielMaurwen
HM. ForeverFrodo

Destiny I'm a Christian boycrazy girl. Will Turner's wife ^&? Image Image Avatar by JF, banners by Taurquende, Nurrantiel Mashiara, Silme Meleth TarNymphadora, and JF taught me how to use banners. Thanks to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 24th, 2007, 12:48 pm 

FM, please hold out the voting a little longer because I'm planning to vote and judge in great detail but I'm short on time so I'll definitely get it in to you sometime soon.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27th, 2007, 4:20 pm 

FRODOFAN: Excellent charactarization. Short but good. I particularly love the description about her hair and how it captures the sun's rays and spills them out.

Laurel: It's a good description but it feels like it's a bit disorganized and the details are hopping around. You went from describing her features (eyes) and lineage, to her actions - the events in the meeting of Aragorn & Arwen, back to the her features (hair, voice), to describing her actions as a queen to subjects, but the next paragraph, she's not yet a queen, so the time-line changes and it's all so very confusing. I do love the descriptions, but the organization could be worked on. :)

Meldawen: This description was also kind of hoppy, but it's a good kind of hoppy. It feels like it was more a story/history timeline and you added in some really good descriptions so it's very good! Great job!

EarielMaurwen: Admittedly when I first saw this, it scared me off because all I saw was one big whopping thing of a paragraph but when I got to reading it, it felt odd ---- I'm guessing it's more based on book Frodo? Though I don't remember book Frodo being so.... Elvish, I guess? And I can't quite grasp the point of view --- is it Sam? This one also follows a brief story of what happens in LOTR, but the descriptions also seem out of place, I don't know. It just doesn't flow, you know?

Nauriel Rochnur: I like the tone of this piece but, it seems a bit unrealistic. Almost like fanfiction, which technically this is, but that's not what you're aiming for. You're not writing fanfiction to make it seem like fanfiction unless you're writing a parody. You want to make it feel medieval and believable. If you're writing from the point of view of a soldier, a regular soldier, he wouldn't know anything about Faramir's personal mission for his father's love, and if the soldier did then... he, most likely, wouldn't be concerned at all about Faramir's "feelings", he'd be mainly concerned that he's dying for one man's purpose and it benefits not his people, not his family, not his honor.

Also, about the numenorean blood in Faramir? I know he has like a drop of numenorean in him but his blood and his people were more defined as the Dunedain. Marking him as numenorean (as is the impression that I had) seemed misleading. And to him, Faramir wouldn't at all different from him, because the soldier would also be a Dunedain and therefore have drops of numenorean in him as well.

ForeverFrodo: This is definitely one of the best pieces. Because it's describing him on so many levels not only on the physical level. It delves into personality and the honor of a King and I love descriptions like that. Great job!
The best line, "As I sit there and look upon him, a thought stirs in me and suddenly I understand that it is pride, the pride of the kings of old that burns in him and that will make him ride to battle without looking back." Excellent job!

1st: ForeverFrodo
2nd: Meldawen
3rd: FRODOFAN
HM: Laurel

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2007, 9:24 am 
Balrog
Balrog

Aww thank you Kit, you made my day! :hug:
I wasn't sure about my entry first, because English is not my native language and I was afraid to make considerable mistakes. So your comment was really encouraging! :)

We've been forever
yet we've only just begun.

We have come full circle.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28th, 2007, 8:15 pm 
Maia
Maia

Much thanks to all who vote!!! :notworthy: I shall love you guys forever.

And Kit: pieces of eight and doubloons be yours for those comments! You're positively superfantabulistic. *awe*

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2007, 12:22 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks to those who voted for my description. :) But isn't anyone else going to vote? *looks meaningfully at anyone reading this* :P

Resident Elvengoth

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 4th, 2007, 3:14 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

1. Meldawen
2. Laurel
3. FRODOFAN
HM. EarielMaurwen

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 5th, 2007, 7:48 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for answering my 'summons,' so to speak, lol. :P Your vote is much appreciated by us contestants. ;) Do we have any other voters for this contest?

Resident Elvengoth

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 16th, 2007, 12:31 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

As FM has sadly had to leave, I will be finishing this contest in her stead. If anyone else wishes to vote, please do so as soon as possible.

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 18th, 2007, 5:50 am 

1. Meldawen
2. Frodofan
3. EarielMaurwen
HM. Laurel

interesting new contest

MvL/Nurr
my Aragorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2007, 7:57 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

:blush: Gosh, thanks guys! Kit, I will love you forever for commenting! *bows and pokes everyone else to vote*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 1:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Thanks for voting, Zandain, and for taking over the contest, JF... FM had to leave the forum? You mean, forever? *cries*

Resident Elvengoth

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2007, 7:40 am 
Balrog
Balrog

EarielMaurwen wrote:
Thanks for voting, Zandain, and for taking over the contest, JF... FM had to leave the forum? You mean, forever? *cries*

Yes, she did. Sad story there. *sigh* :(

We've been forever
yet we've only just begun.

We have come full circle.

Profile       WWW