Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 8:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Grace of the Valar (rated G)
PostPosted: June 9th, 2007, 11:09 am 
Istari
Istari

A piece of fan fic that would be based on another version of TTT.
Instead of waiting in Rivendell, Arwen decides to follow Aragorn. This scene would have to be placed between the Warg- attack in TTT when everyone thinks Aragorn is dead and his arrival at Edoras after Brego rescued him...

The Grace of the Valar

A cry went through the Rohirrim. “They’re returning! They’re coming back!”
Arwen and the young woman looked up and searched for the person who had shouted. A small boy was leaning against the wall over the gate and waving his arms.
“Excuse me, My Lady”, the young Rohirrim apologized and bowed before she vanished to join the crowd at the gate that seemed to grow every second.
Arwen sighed and thought about what the woman had just told her.
On their way to Helm’s Deep the Rohirrim had been attacked by Warg-riders. All horsemen who could fight had been ordered to distract the Wargs, so that the women, children and old people could safely escape. Well, perhaps Aragorn did not have a horse right now, but Arwen was sure that he had joined those who fought.
Slowly she walked down the fortress’ enormous staircase that led to the gate. She did not want to join the waiting crowd directly. No one apart from the girl had recognized her yet and she did not want to draw any attention on her, as she had just introduced herself as a messenger who had something for a certain Lord Aragorn.
Arwen chose a little spot that was still near the crowd, but also hid her in the shade of the surrounding walls. The Rohirrim grew nervous. The sound of galloping horses became louder and louder. Finally the gate opened. A tall blonde man in splendid armour sitting on a beautiful white horse led the group of riders. Although Arwen had never seen the King of Rohan, she guessed that it must be him.
To be honest, she had expected at least fifty or sixty riders to return to Helm’s Deep at that moment, but she was surprised when she saw how small the group actually was. It could not be more than twenty men.
The women standing near her seemed to recognize this as well now. Fearful cries went through the crowd. “So few have returned?”
The Rohirrim started searching for their husbands, brothers or fathers and Arwen could sense the fear of having lost the ones whom you love most.
Her heart began beating faster and faster. Aragorn would have fought under all circumstances - even without a horse. And as future King of Gondor he should have been somewhere near the King of Rohan. Where was he?
Arwen felt fear growing inside her and rapidly creeping up all the way towards her heart that seemed to turn into ice at once. Where was Aragorn? He could not have fallen, or?
Panic took possession of her mind. She searched the crowd of warriors again and again. Then she discovered Legolas and Gimli. Arwen did not know what to feel - relief as they had survived or fear because Aragorn was no where near them?
Her steps quickened until she was running. Legolas discovered her and looked directly into her eyes as she came rushing towards him. He was surely surprised, but what else could she see in his eyes? Pain and sorrow? Or did she just imagine that?
“Arwen”, Legolas said as soon as the she-elf came to a halt in front of him. “What are you doing here?”
Arwen cast him a glance that should say “Can’t you imagine why I’m here?”, but only replied “Where’s Aragorn?”
Legolas’ eyes filled with grief at once as he looked down towards Gimli.
“He has fallen, My Lady…I’m sorry…”, the dwarf replied sadly.
Arwen felt as if the ground beneath her feet had just vanished. Aragorn had fallen? He had died? She could not believe what she had just heard.
Legolas threw the reins of his horse into Gimli’s hands, took Arwen’s arm and guided her out of the crowd towards a calmer place.

As soon as they reached a completely deserted staircase some metres away from the gate, Arwen let herself fall down on the stairs.
“That can’t be true…”, she whispered. Legolas sat down next to her.
“But it is true”, he said sadly. “Theoden, their King, did not want to waste time on taking care of the ones who had fallen, so we had to leave him on the battlefield.”, his voice faded.
“But how? And why?”, Arwen asked.
“On the way to Helm’s Deep we were attacked by Warg-riders. Theoden ordered all horsemen to fight in order to allow the weaker people a safe escape. Aragorn joined the fighters, of course. While he fought one of the Warg-riders, he must have thrown him down from his Warg. The creature was mad at the end of the battle and it ran straight towards the cliff with Aragorn on his back…At least that’s what the rider of this horrible creature told us…”
“But how do you know that he told you the truth? You can’t trust all those Orcs!” Tears were slowly filling Arwen’s eyes.
Legolas reached for his pocket, slowly pulled out the Evenstar pendant and placed it softly into Arwen’s hand. “He had the pendant in his hand while he was dying.”
Arwen’s could not stop the tears anymore.
“He died as a brave warrior and saved many of the Rohirrim.”, Legolas added haltingly. “I’m sorry…”
Arwen nodded. She closed her hand around the pendant and looked up to Legolas. “Could you please leave me alone for a few moments? I just need some time…”, her voice was drowned by tears.
“Of course,” Legolas replied softly before he turned away from her and walked towards the stables. “Let me know if I can do anything for you…”

Arwen was filled with grief, pain and sorrow. She looked down on the Evenstar in her hand and gently ran her hand over it. At once her head was full of memories.
The sweet moments she had spent with Aragorn in Rivendell before he had left…“It is mine to give to whom I will, like my heart”…”I choose a mortal life.”…
Her dreams in which she had tried to encourage him…”A e u esteliach nad, estelio han, estelio ammen”…
And finally her father speaking to her and trying to convince her to leave for Valinor “There’s nothing for you here anymore…only death”…
Despair slowly took possession of her heart. She had never imagined that her father would be right. She had always seen herself and Aragorn happily reunited in the near future after all problems would be solved and they could just live their lives happily together until the end of their days. That Aragorn would die in a battle had never been a possibility for her that she would spend a thought on. But now that had become reality.
How should she face the situation? She could not return home like a coward just to tell her father that he had been right and that she had given up her immortality for nothing else but wishful thinking. Should she go to Gondor and fight in Aragorn’s place to liberate the city from Sauron’s deathly grip? Could she do it…?

Suddenly she was torn out of her thoughts. A little girl was standing in front of her.
“Are you an angel?”, the child asked her curiously.
Arwen recognized that the hood of her cape had slipped down from her head and unveiled her face now.
“No”, she answered in surprise and even managed a gentle smile. “Why do you think so?”
“When the women here talk about angels, they always describe them as beautiful beings. And when I saw you, I thought you must be one who would protect us during the night…”
The girl had hardly finished the sentence when her mother appeared and fearfully pulled her away. “I’m so sorry if she bothered you, My Lady”, she said and bowed before she and her daughter vanished.

“I can only agree with the girl. You truly must be an angel!”
Arwen hesitated. She knew this voice so well, but that could not be true. She must be dreaming.
Slowly she turned around. She could not believe her eyes.
Aragorn was standing in front of her. Rugged, dirty and wounded of course, but she did not mind. Arwen just threw her arms around his neck and hugged him tightly before she burst into tears again at his shoulder.
“But Legolas told me you would have fallen…”, she whispered softly and gently ran her hand over Aragorn’s cheek to convince herself that she was not dreaming right now.
“I fell down the cliff and nearly drowned in the river beneath it. But I must have been washed ashore. I thought I was already dead, but then I saw your face in front of me. You said something about the grace of the Valar that would protect me and you kissed me. Then your face disappeared. I thought this would be the moment I die, but suddenly Brego, the horse I had been given before, woke me up and carried me here.” Aragorn gently placed his hand beneath Arwen’s chin and lifted it up. “I live, Arwen. Your love has saved me…”
Arwen smiled. “But you have lost something”, she said and put the necklace with the Evenstar pendant around Aragorn’s neck.
“Thank you”, he whispered.
Both looked each other directly into the eyes. Arwen could have stayed forever in this moment. Then Aragorn slowly lowered his head and both were lost in a very long kiss…

Comments would be very nice and helpful for me. :) Thanks!

<center>
~thanks to: Johnny's Fan (animated banner)~
~icons made by me~

My site: ~Evenstar Dreams~<center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2007, 3:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

Aww! This is awesome! And that little girl was adorable! :) Great job!

Pippin of Herenya's Line - "...give nothing back!"
Got fed up and eloped with Ragetti 1-3-08 :P
PHYLLIS, THE ANTI-SUSPIAN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2007, 12:13 pm 
Istari
Istari

Aww, thanks for your comment, Ánië! :hug: I'm glad that you like the story. :happy:

<center>
~icons made by me~

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 10th, 2007, 12:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Aww, that was so cute! Nice story! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 12th, 2007, 12:54 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thanks for your comment, gollum13! :hug: I'm glad that you like it! :)

<center>
~icons made by me~

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2007, 7:58 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

the story was great i loved the little girl too. your a good writer!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2007, 8:16 am 
Istari
Istari

Thank you, Eru! :hug: I'm happy to hear that you like my story that much. :happy:

<center>
~icons made by me~

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 22nd, 2007, 9:17 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

your welcome :blush: